• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stuck extractor plunger on Mossberg 930

J_Nova

Copper BB
I have a Mosssberg 930 and during last years duck hunt it kept failing to eject the shell in time before the second shell could come in and jam the action up.

Had time to take it apart and noticed the extractor plunger is not making contact with the extractor and is not moving freely; I have tried to remove the extractor to get at the plunger to no avail.

I have included a photo and video of the extractor and seeing if anyone else has had similar experience and seeing what they might of done to remedy the problem; I have thought about using gun cleaning solution nitro 9 but if someone could recommend a better solution that would be great.
930extractor.jpg

J_Nova,
If not too late, check this thread:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossberg-930-autoloader-troubleshooting.193/page-61

I think it’s the same problem you’re having. Maybe stand the bolt on it’s back end and see if you can get some penetrating product to seep down around the plunger. I’m a little hesitant to recommend putting heat to the bolt as some people’s idea of a little heat might be excessive. However, throwing the bolt into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes surely won’t add enough heat to do any damage and that might be just enough to loosen the plunger. If you can get the extractor itself out of the bolt, then try smacking the bolt face on a piece of wood so the impact will draw the plunger out of its hole. Please update with your progress!

I have tried it all. I bought the firearm used. Gunsmith told me to soak the whole bolt in PB BLASTER, has been in a jar of it for 6 months now. Not so much as a movement. Tapping it does no good. I looked for a new or used bolt assembly but nothing. Mossberg can't sell me one said it's a restricted item.But you can buy the Mossberg 500,Remington 870 bolt assemblys all day. Any thoughts on this would be great.

I've had really good luck with electrolysis cleaning rusted and gumpered up parts. It's inexpensive, slow, and can't damage the underlying steel. A bucket of water, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT BAKING SODA), a 12V battery charger, some scrap sacrifical steel and some wire. There are lots of videos online showing the process.

Back