• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Study finds many Ohio deer infected by house cats

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Interesting. I saw at least three different cats in my area while hunting this year.

Link: http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/study-finds-many-ohio-deer-infected-by-house-cats/article_c2272fc6-2a16-56af-978a-495a4face0da.html#ixzz3NI2d1e30

If you're deer hunting in an area known to have a lot of feral house cats, you might want to make sure you cook your venison properly.

That's because a new study published in the journal EcoHealth has found that a large percentage of whitetail deer in the greater Cleveland, Ohio, area are infected with a parasite associated with feral domestic cats.

“This study documents the widespread infection of deer populations in northeastern Ohio, most likely resulting from feral cats, and highlights the need for consumers of venison to make absolutely certain that any deer meat planned for consumption is thoroughly and properly cooked,” said Gregory Ballash of the Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine at Ohio State University and lead author of the study.

Two hundred free-roaming cats and 444 white-tailed deer were tested for the parasite Toxoplasma gondii, which causes toxoplasmosis. Almost 60 percent (261) of the deer showed evidence of infection and more than 65 percent (164) of the studied cats tested positive.

According to the report, approximately 14 percent of the United States’ human population is infected with toxoplasmosis by the age of 40, with an estimated 1 million new cases diagnosed each year. Cats, both domestic and wild (such as bobcats), play a critical role in the spread of toxoplasmosis because they serve as the definitive hosts, fulfilling the requirements needed for the parasite to sexually reproduce and complete its life cycle.

Domestic cats are often infected at less than one year of age. Once infected, they can contaminate the environment by shedding hundreds of millions of infectious eggs (called “oocysts”) via their feces. Free-roaming cats — those that are allowed free access to the outdoors — are more likely to be exposed and infected, thereby contributing more frequently to environmental contamination than indoor cats.

Similar estimates for white-tailed deer infections have been found in Iowa (53.5 -64.2 percent), Pennsylvania (60 percent), Mississippi (46.5 percent), and Ohio (44 percent), suggesting widespread environmental contamination.

The odds of deer from urban locations testing positive for toxoplasmosis were nearly three times those of deer from suburban areas when adjusted for age and gender. The study found that densities of human households, and likely cats, were a significant predictor of infection in deer.

The parasite is believed to infect about one-third of the world’s population and one study has shown a decline in working memory in infected humans over age 65.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...a16-56af-978a-495a4face0da.html#ixzz3NOjNdMEB

Study finds many Ohio deer infected by house cats

I've had deer with ticks, worms and other bugs but never with house cats. How do you safely remove them? Are they dangerous to humans like deer ticks are? Is it ok to eat the venison if you find a house cat infestation? :p

It's crazy that people will let their "house" cats roam free then bitch when they get shot, hit by a car or end up dead by other means. Not too much of a problem around here but we do have a couple that hang around from time to time until I chase 'em away.

By my calculations, based on talking to people around where I hunt there are at least 400 wild cats roaming around. There is a farm down the road from my hunting blind that has 100+ (based on the owners estimate), and that is just one location. My buddy is aware of several more who said that have anywhere from 40-100 roaming around their barns.

They just let them run free to keep the mice, rats, chipmunks, etc in check.

It's great they they keep a few to keep the vermin down but at some point the cats become a bigger issue, esp to neighbors, etc. It has to affect turkey, pheasant, etc. pops as well. That many cays have to eat more than a few mice.

Very true...that many may also attract coyotes.

There are a LOT of yotes around there, I'm was honestly surprised to fin there were that many cats....maybe that's why there are so many yotes. LOL

Back