• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Subsonic .308 possible?

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
My buddy at work and I were talking about the silencer he finally got approval to own. He has tried it a few times on a Remington bolt action in .308. It sounds about the same as a .22 LR going off. We are working on lining up a decibel meter so we can have actual numbers on it.

We were discussing the possibility of loading sub-sonic .308's to further lower the sound. Using google seems to show it's possible but then on the internet anything is. Does anyone have any useful information on an experiment like this?

Hodgdon Powder ( http://www.hodfgdon.com ) published under their DATA heading reduced rifle loads using Trailboss powder. Trailboss is super easy to work with safely.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20Boss ... %20R&P.pdf

The 150-gr .308 MIN load starts off at 1145-fps and I bet you could esily go 50-fps lower, or use a 180-gr bullet to get subsonic.

Call Dave at Hodgdon Technical Support and I know hell help you with a 180-gr Trailboss load.

Nitesite, thanks starting direction and contact. I passed your post on to my buddy and we'll talk more on lunch break today.

carbinemike, 100% possible.

I don't have a recipe because I don't own a 308, but I know a ton of folks who've done it. I could probably get you a few recipes that I would trust to do myself from a few of the folks I know or could point you in the right direction if you want to research for yourself.

Upside, it's really quiet and cool.

Downside, range is seriously decreased and more bullet drop and sooner than supersonic, also less penetration at farther range.

Bolt actions will also be quieter, and afford a little more velocity and range and less drop compared to a semi that uses some of the gas to cycle the bolt, but not by much.

Thanks for the input John. Bullet drop and at what distance was one the things we wondered about. Time will tell. I'll have to update this when he gets a chance to load and try some. Right now we're busy planning a range trip for his brother since he's off to become a Marine in 2 weeks.

Back