• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Syria and Sarin gas

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Apparently the "Red Line" that Obama drew in the sand a few months back regarding chemical weapons use in Syria has turned a pale pink. :roll: ;)

Not that I really care if they gas each other over there, but if you make threats you better be ready to follow thru on them.

Top-ranking lawmakers on both sides of the aisle declared Thursday that the "red line" in Syria has been crossed, calling for "strong" U.S. and international intervention after administration officials revealed the intelligence community believes chemical weapons were used.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chairwoman of the Senate intelligence committee, were among those urging swift action.

McCain, who has long called for more involvement in Syria, voiced concern that the administration would use "caveats" to avoid acting on the new intelligence. He said America's enemies are paying "close attention" to whether the U.S. follows through, as the White House signaled it wanted to see more proof before responding to the new information.

"I worry that the president and the administration will use these caveats as an excuse not to act right away or act at all," McCain told Fox News. "The president clearly stated that it was a red line and that it couldn't be crossed without the United States taking vigorous action."

He called for the U.S. to help establish a no-fly zone and "safe zone" in Syria, as well as provide weapons to the "right people."

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel first revealed the intelligence assessment, which was detailed in a letter to select members of Congress, while speaking to reporters on a visit to Abu Dhabi. The administration then released those letters, which said U.S. intelligence determined with varying degrees of confidence that "the Syrian regime has used chemical weapons on a small scale in Syria, specifically the chemical agent sarin."

Secretary of State John Kerry further confirmed that there were two documented instances of chemical weapons use.

The White House, however, stressed that this was not enough to confirm how the nerve gas was released -- though acknowledged it is "very likely" to have originated with the regime of Bashar Assad -- and pressed the United Nations for a "comprehensive" investigation. The letter from the White House director of the Office of Legislative Affairs to leading members of the Senate Armed Services Committee said the assessment was based in part on "physiological samples."

A White House official also urged caution, invoking the Iraq war as an example of why the administration should be absolutely certain before going forward.

"Given our own history with intelligence assessments, including intelligence assessments related to WMD, it's very important that we are able to establish this with certainty and that we are able to provide information that is airtight ... to underpin all of our decision-making," the official said. "That is, I think, the threshold that is demanded given how serious this issue is."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04 ... z2RWQI3jRR

I thought they were using Saddam's gas anyway.

John A. said:
I thought they were using Saddam's gas anyway.

Syria has had a Chem program since 1973, so although they might have acquired some from Saddam, they have a very robust program of their own, including various delivery systems.

Syria, not a signatory to either the CWC or the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT), and not having ratified the BWC, began developing chemical weapons in 1973 prior to the Yom Kipper war when the Egyptian government reportedly gave Syria artillery shells capable of delivering chemical weapons. Since then Syria has developed a robust chemical weapons program, perhaps one of the most advanced in the Middle East, and a variety of delivery methods. The country is still very depending on outside assistance in procuring important precursor chemicals and equipment.

Apparently, during the early 80's, a policy decision within the Syrian government, led to the rapid development of non-conventional weapons. It is likely this decision was the result of the realization that Syria could not reach conventional military parity with Israel.

Syria is now believed capable of producing several hundred tons of CW agents per year. Syrian production factilites are notoriously small in comparison to other CBW facilities in other states and are difficult to conclusively identify. Presently there are four suspected sites. One located just north of Damascus, and the second near the industrial city of Homs. The third, in Hama, is believed to be producing VX agents in addition to sarin and tabun, and a forth near Cerin. Several other sites are monitored by intelligence agencies and are listed only as suspect.

More: http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/syria/cw.htm

My understanding is that Syria got help from N Korea as did Iran. Funny how these things come around. The new Axis of Evil...

OhioArcher said:
My understanding is that Syria got help from N Korea as did Iran. Funny how these things come around. The new Axis of Evil...

Over the last 30-40 years, Syria (and other Middle Eastern countries) has gotten help from many sources, including France, China, the USA, and Russia among others. See the link above. Much of that help has been so-called "dual-use" precursor chemicals from pharmaceutical companies around the world. Once it's in the country it can be diverted to whatever they like and nobody is the wiser. There are no inspections or international tracking of deliveries of stuff like this. Nobody asks embarrassing questions, because they don't want to know the answer.

No different than going to Lowes and buying 10lbs of 6D nails. They don't ask what you're going to do with them do they.

Yeah, I believe everyone is in bed together. We help them in one area, they convert it. They get something from somewhere else and put the two together. It is a never ending cycle...power begets more power...

Back