• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tactical sight questions

sneektip

.22LR
I am curious about removing the fiber optic from the post/ tower. Has anyone done this? Not just the fiber optic rod itself, but the clip that holds it in place, as well? I'm curious about replacing the fiber optic on the front sight post with a tritium shotgun bead. I see in another thread that AbyssDncr put one on this vent rib SA20, and also on his SA459. But the front sight posts on the 459 appear to be constructed differently than that of the SA20 tac.
For those that have not done this, but do own the SA20 Tactical--- Is the rod/clip thing on top of the front sight post attached with a screw? Something I could remove separate from the tower post?
Thanks in advance.

I think a picture would be beneficial here. I have a Thug so my sights are different from a Tactical (I think). It would appear the front sight is held in place with a #1 Phillips head screw. I would venture a guess the thread pitch of the screw MIGHT be metric. If you were determined to mount the tritium, you could always drill and tap to a more common standard thread size (and available) sight from another gun keeping in mind you would not be able to remount the old sight...

That is a 3-shot extension tube from Choate, BTW. I have done a complete write-up on it and if you search here at MO the thread should show up.

Welcome Aboard, Sneek! :)

thugfrsights.jpg

Thanks for chiming in Bobster. I have read your post on installing the extension tube, and found it informative.
Unlike the sporting models, the tactical uses a tall sight post on the front. I don't actually have an SA20 tactical in my hands yet, ergo the questions.
I'm still in the planning/ research phase of setting up a new HD shotgun. Whether or not I can mount a tritium bead on the tactical may sway my decision which model to buy- the tactical or the thug. Here is a pic of the piece in question.
SA-20 sight (2)_LI.jpg

Last edited:
The Thug has a 22" barrel, BTW. Looking at your pic it almost looks as if the sight post is screwed to the barrel and/or sight screwed/clipped to the sight post. I think Brian has a Tactical and he'll probably be by eventually to comment and maybe post a pic of his sight.

Back