• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Talk me into one or the other....

MT2

I got a growing itch for a HD/tactical shotgun. So now Im thinking, buy or build? So I turn to the masses. Convince me on which you would do and why.

1. Buy one pretty much done and just add to as desired.
2. Buy a cheap used 500 and build it up myself.

Is HD the sole purpose?

If you are going to double duty it as a field gun then buy a field model and get some hd/tac ad ons. If the gun is a dedicated HD/gamer/tactical gun then buy a tacitical model from the get go.

Anothr factor is how much you want to spend and exactly what you want in said gun.

MT2 said:
I got a growing itch for a HD/tactical shotgun. So now Im thinking, buy or build? So I turn to the masses. Convince me on which you would do and why.

1. Buy one pretty much done and just add to as desired.
2. Buy a cheap used 500 and build it up myself.

Not that it's impossible to find a mossie all built up to HD/Tactical specs, but I highly doubt you're going to find one exactly the way you'll want it. My vote would be for a good used one and dress it up yourself :D Plus then you've got it just the way you want it...until you get the itch to change something again :lol:

The main purpose of the gun would be HD. I typically plug all my hunting guns just to limit my shots Ive found for me it keeps me more disciplined when afield. But in all honesty this gun will most likely be a range gun for poos and giggles. Ya know blowing up watermelons and stuff.

Price I want to spend is I dunno. Honestly I like this and that and figure it be something Id get the base line built and ready to roll and than access as I go. Might even find myself changing stock's more than once. There is so much out that saying this and that is exactly what I want I dont think is very realistic its one of those things I think Id have to put on the gun, use for awhile and decide if it stays or goes. Great thing is though I should be able to resale some of these items to help fund its replacements.

I all honesty I think I know which route Im going to go I just want some input from you guys. Even thinking maybe building a pink tactical 20 for the wife. So any parts I may decide not to use could potentialy go that way.

MT2 said:
But in all honesty this gun will most likely be a range gun for poos and giggles. Ya know blowing up watermelons and stuff.

That's one of the best reasons I've heard so far :D I stick to my original post, get a used one for a good deal, shop around on MO for some accesories people aren't using (like a pic rail I've got laying around) and go from there. I bought the ERGO forend set on haveing some grip attachment sto the front... but through trial and error and a few trips to the range, I found out I'm best suited with the original forend. Don't pre-spend money on accessories you know you'll end up ditching. PLUS... outfited tactial models might be much harder to come by right now vs. a used stock model.

@ MT2: You should be able to pick up a used 500/590 for under $350. Check the local pawn shops.

I agree with getting a used one. It's cheaper and broken in. I have to look around my shop, but I think I have parts too... ;)

Yeah, like everyone says, look for a used m500. Check local guntrading sites, post a WTB ad on craigslist and backpage. I dont know if you go to a range with another firearm, but check the board for items being sold. If you keep you eyes open you may find gold. Especially on craigslist, just make sure you get a bill of sale if possible.
With todays market, buying a decked out shotgun is going to cost you an arm and a leg due to the tacticool tax that these sellers are tacking to the prices nowadays. Its stupid. Also, just a heads up, if your right handed be aware of the fact that with a pistol grip stock, your goning to have a hell of a time pushing the action lever. If your a left, its heaven. lol

Also a side question, ive never shot one, but how does 20 gauge 00 bucks recoil compare to that of a 12 gauge reduced recoil 00 buck?

ZombieHunterD said:
Also a side question, ive never shot one, but how does 20 gauge 00 bucks recoil compare to that of a 12 gauge reduced recoil 00 buck?

I cant answer this with any complete accuracy I have never shot any 20 00. However I have shot 3" turkey loads out of both and if I had not already bought a 835, I would of opted for a 20. That load out of a 835 while not 100% brutal is diffently more effective than a cup of coffee in the morning. However out of a 20 I feel I could shoot them all day long. Not to mention when sitting on the ground I feel a 20 is alot more controllable for me. Now for my little wife she will disagree :shock:

With that said I can only assume(and you know what they say about assuming) that a 20 00 would be alot more user friendly than a 12. Of course as we all know any load can be more controlled and user friendly with a proper fitting gun and a few minor modifications.

Back