• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Target Ammo Question Mossberg 500

New owner here, and I didn't quite find the answer in the search so I figured I'd ask.
I've got a new field/security combo 28" smooth ported accuchoke barrel and 18" smooth barrel. Both with bead sights. I've shot skeet with the 28 and was thinking about doing some slug target shooting.
1)Was wondering for 25-100 yards outdoor or 50 yard indoor range shooting which barrel would people suggest using 18" or 28"? If 28" what chokes (IC would be my guess).
2)Do I need to get a scope (it is tapped/drilled so it is possible) especially for 100 yards.
3)I'm assuming rifled slugs would be best.

Thanks for helping out the newbie.

g-man

Why are you shooting the slugs? For hunting practice or for defense/tactical practice? The long barrel has a rib I'm assuming, if it's ported and has tubes. It's going to give you a hugely different sight picture. You don't want the first time you're shooting the plain 18 to be when it matters.

For hundred yard shooting, first of all I wouldn't if it's defense/tactical. Stick to 25 to 50 and under and develop your technique. Accuracy with a bead out beyond 50 requires you to know your weapon pretty darned well. When you've got pretty tight groups stretch out if you want to.

Again on the scope the question is why are you shooting. A red dot makes more sense than a scope for what I use my gun for. No optics makes even more sense, again for what I use my gun for.

All of the above is based on me being a cheap bastard, and slugs being relatively expensive. If it's just for fun, do whatever you want. If it's for fun, but also to develop serious offensive and defensive skills, do what makes sense for that.

Just one opinion.

I'm starting out for fun. Yes slugs are expensive, and I wouldn't be shooting large quantities (I've got 22's for that). The 100 yard is the max outdoor range and you can setup target stands at 25,50,75 yards so 25 yards is the closest distance. I realize slugs aren't much for HD, so initially it would just be for paper not HD or hunting. Thanks on the red-dot idea, I'm cheap too and figured I could take my 3-9x40 scope off my rifle to try on the mossberg, thus the scope question. I might be able to take it out to a friend's "farm" and try some HD ammo there more up close like 5-7 yards, but can't really shoot that stuff in the indoor range.

I'm not so sure slugs are bad for HD. Looking at the patterns folks are getting from something like Flite-control ammo, at under 30 yds, If you're missing the target with a slug, you're going to miss it with buckshot, or a 40mm pistol too.

blue said:
I'm not so sure slugs are bad for HD. Looking at the patterns folks are getting from something like Flite-control ammo, at under 30 yds, If you're missing the target with a slug, you're going to miss it with buckshot, or a 40mm pistol too.

I'm more concerned that slugs will go through home invader (rather than missing him/her) and out through the drywall, same as a 9mm FMJ, thus the need for special purpose HD ammo in 9mm and probably some shot or HD ammo for the mossberg.

g-man

g-man-rocks said:
blue said:

I'm more concerned that slugs will go through home invader (rather than missing him/her) and out through the drywall, same as a 9mm FMJ, thus the need for special purpose HD ammo in 9mm and probably some shot or HD ammo for the mossberg.

g-man

I agree with Blue in that the slug isnt a bad choice for HD. As mentioned, the Federal Tactical 00 buck 9 pellet FliteControl low recoil is going to make a singe hole at HD ranges.

Heres something you touched on. The slug is more dense and is more likely to retain most (or more) of its density and some shape after impacting a target which could cause it to carry through or deeper and farther. The buckshot (traditionally) will spread some loosing its density as a solid projectile. Although, this may not be the case with Federal FliteControl.

Slugs are fun to shoot! ;) I do target shooting with mine, plain bead 20" barrels, and have a hold over beginning right around 25 yards. The rifled slugs will be what you want with the smooth bore barrel! ;)

g-man-rocks said:
New owner here, and I didn't quite find the answer in the search so I figured I'd ask.
I've got a new field/security combo 28" smooth ported accuchoke barrel and 18" smooth barrel. Both with bead sights. I've shot skeet with the 28 and was thinking about doing some slug target shooting.
1)Was wondering for 25-100 yards outdoor or 50 yard indoor range shooting which barrel would people suggest using 18" or 28"? If 28" what chokes (IC would be my guess).
2)Do I need to get a scope (it is tapped/drilled so it is possible) especially for 100 yards.
3)I'm assuming rifled slugs would be best.

Thanks for helping out the newbie.

g-man
18" bbl 25 yds is about it. Too much spread after that. Most shotguns are pretty good up to 50-75yds with shot. If you want to go longer you are really looking at slugs and for long distance slug hunting get a rifled bbl. Then I would use a scope, otherwise why bother.The 28" bbl is really good for bird or trap using the right choke/ammo. Just don't have the bbl choked if you switch to slugs!
For HD, i would use a lighter load than 00buck or slug. #3 or 4 buck will work fine and much less chance of it exiting thru walls. At those distances more than enough stopping power. Unless you have a real big house you are looking at 25 FEET or less.
Just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice all. But question about choking the 28". The mossberg site says don't shoot anything through the threaded barrel without a choke installed and they recommend IC for slugs. Is that right? I realize without a choke in, the threads are exposed and I assume the IC choke is the largest opening or least amount of choke and still enough to let the slug through. Is that correct?

g-man

Yeah, the IC is fine with rifled slugs.

There are plenty of folks using scopes with rifled slug barrels for longer hunting like Lady mentioned.

Some folks wont use shot beyond 25 yards, and with most brands of traditional buckshot, I wouldnt either.

Something else brought up by Lady is using smaller buckshot. Personally, I'm gonna stick with FliteControl loads. If/When FC becomes available in #1 buck, I'll certainly test that stuff and give it a try! ;)

Read the topics on Tactical and Home Defense. Especially "what happens after......."
Go to a range and shoot 15 & 25 yds. target shot, buckshot and slugs. Like Rossignol said- we all need to make our own decision on ammo. It depends what you want to accomplish. Once you see the patterns at short and longer ranges you will know.
( I use a 20ga I only use #3 & #4 buck- that's what works for me. I use slugs to
sight in my guns, as it is easier to get better sight alignment with either bbl. I use a GR sight
as it is much faster target aquisition.)

Yep, one thing I cant emphasize enough;

While we pattern test loads and publish results sometimes with video and pics to back up what we find, its only intended to give you a reasonable expectation of performance and is in no way a substitute for patterning and range testing the loads your self and be able to make a well informed decision as to what will best meet your needs.

Back