• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Target Slug Recommendations?

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
OK everyone,

I've got plenty of experience shoot'n bird and buck shot, but my local range only allows slugs. I've got my new 590a1 on the way and need some advice on some good slug ammo for target practice. I liked Brad's review on the Winchester Ranger Low Recoil and I've read some positive posts on the Federal TruBall Low Recoil. Anyone have any experience with Centurion 1 1/8 oz slugs? Any other suggestions?

THANKS!

I think it was Goose doin the reviews on the Centurion, and Oli was makin 200 yard shots with it. So theres somethin to it!!! ;)

I shot the Winchester Super X quite a bit, but I've since found I prefer the couple others.

I just can’t find a reason not to like the centurion. I have heard it called an improved foster. The slug is hollow with a heavy head like a foster but the hitch with these is the wad stays with the slug during flight. Cool how they put them together kind of like a socket fit. I find them very accurate. Inside a hundred yards they haven’t failed me. Inside 50…these things are just brutal. 1400fps so they aren’t what I consider full power but not low recoil either they hit real hard out to 100. If I could find anything at all to complain about maybe they lead foul a little more than others….but I have been shooting a pant load of these and it could be that. 80 bucks for 250, what’s not to like really

Thanks for the feedback oli,

For the price it's definitely worth a try. I figured even if it's not the best ammo out there it would at least be good enough for the break-in. Glad to hear it's actually good ammo. This slug only thing is a bit frustrating for me. I grew up out in the sticks where we could go out back and shoot whatever we wanted. Used to work summers in high-school harvesting watermelon and cantaloupe for a friend's dad. End of season he'd let us go out with the shotguns and have a ball with the leftover melons. We'd load up the cheap bird shot and man those things would EXPLODE! Great times...

I call it creative targetry.It really is an art.....I love shooting slugs, I think I would be more mad someone telling me what a can and can’t do with my shotgun. I will travel distances so I don’t have to put up with that crap

I undetstand why they do it though.

It's an outdoor range where you pin your target to a moveable wooden frame. The frames get absolutely chewed up, mostly by folks shootn ARs that can't hit the broadside of a barn from inside it. Hand those guys a shotty loaded with buck shot and those frames wouldn't last five minutes. It sucks for competent shooters, but it's an open range and they do let ANYBODY shoot...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It sucks for competent shooters, but it's an open range and they do let ANYBODY shoot...

lame, need a screening process....throw them off the cliffs of Sparta

I can't tell you how many times I've been strafed by a noob in the next lane who's turnin to talk to their buddy or girlfriend. They're the same ones who usually end up lookin down the barrel when their gun jams.

Back