• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

targets

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
anyone know what i should be getting if i'm going to sight in a shotgun? paper targets preferably. i have a bunch of rifle target. but which kind is good for shottys? and how far away should i be.

Are you patterning? Butcher paper works well.

When I pattern a shotgun, I start at my closest reasonable range and then do what I call a walk-back. Let's say I start at 20 yards. Once I pattern a few shots at 20 yards, I'll walk back to 25 yards then 30 then 35 .... You get the idea.

Knowing the pattern of your shotgun is essential if you plan to shoot it effectively. I've shot the head off of pheasants at 20 yards, leaving the rest of the body virtually untouched, when hunting pheasant preserves with my buddies. Not only does it save the meat, it leaves my buddies pretty impressed! :mrgreen:

@ mud......holy cow. thats funny. it reminds me of ozzy ozbourne with a shotty....

butcher paper? good idea. i like that way. then i can roll out more as i need it,and i don't HAVE to buy targets.

@ oli... i'm goin turkey hunting in the fall.....
oli700 said:
ghost rings, slugs, whats the guns primary use ?
no ghost ring.. red dot. like rossignol's.

also i just set up my scope on my 835, so i'll be shootin a bunch to sight it in....

what's a good distance to keep the sights at? 20 yd or ??

thank you.

you guys here have no idea how grateful i am for this site....true story.

Determining the range with your sight will depend on how far you wanna push the effective pattern of your shot. If its for turkey, whatever your shot will allow your max range to be and still provide a pattern youre comfortable with.

Does that make any sense? lol, just got home and I'm incredibly tired! :lol:

yes..perfect sense...now i need to learn to draw a turkey.

ripjack13 said:
@ mud......holy cow. thats funny. it reminds me of ozzy ozbourne with a shotty....

butcher paper? good idea. i like that way. then i can roll out more as i need it,and i don't HAVE to buy targets.

I tear off sheets of butcher paper and tack them up to cardboard backers.

Alternatively, if you have easy access to office supplies, the big 3M flip chart paper with the Post-it note backing is pretty handy.

Goin' up the rails on the Crazy Train ....

These work too! :lol:

http://zombieammo.com/zombiepress/zombie_targets/
02-ZT-ROXIE1.jpg

http://www.zombietargets.net/
z1_store_view.jpg

Haha, those are great! My local mil-surplus store had some zombie targets in stock right around halloween last year...

They're even scored like competition targets!

Back