• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tests on camouflage

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Found some interesting reading material as I have been seeing a number of new styles of camouflage.

I had seen advertised new colors in Crye Precisions Multicam which I think is called UCP? There is a black, arid, and tropical I believe. My search for more images turned up a study that began a few years ago with regard to effectiveness in the visual spectrum of light and the same "patterns" through NVG systems.

What I found was amazing in some ways. Just because some patterns are extremely effective at hiding the human form in normal light, it may be a totally different story through night vision. Multicam for example seems to disappear through night vision. Which actually isnt very good. When viewed against the background, multicam looks like a blank space.

So, a push began to find systems that effectively did both jobs well. Conceal or breakup in daylight as well as doing the same through night vision. I don't know that I'm saying it very well here so I'll post the link. Pretty interesting read with lots of pics and even some rather unconventional attempts to mask the fabric against the IR spectrum.

http://www.hyperstealth.com/scorpion/index.html

Good morning Rossignol. This a good subject. One that I only know enough about to get myself into trouble with LOL.

Seems that when dealing with night vision, the reflectivity of the object is more important than the specific colors.

That, and a whole other pertinent topic would be to do this with thermal.

good link, I like the muti, the scorpion is like an improved multi.....too many camo choices !

the craze around here with the bow hunters is Kryptek.....I'm not on board with it mu, kinda like I never got on the Digicam

If you are going to be in a static position and want an effective camo, spray adhesive on a twin size sheet big enough to cover yourself and apply leaves thoroughly on the material like a child would do with glue and glitter and cover yourself up with it after it's dry.

Works good for coyote huntin'.

good idea, home guile .....don't drop the cherry off your smoke, lol.....I would be worried about animals catching a scent of the adhesive...

You could essentially do the same with burlap. Just stick whatever is on the ground in the burlap and ole' there it is. And it's reusable. With little to no funky smell. (Just leave it outside for a week or 2.)

Good read on the link Brad. Thanx!!!

Been trying to get back to this, been busy workin on a second grade government project, lol!

I don't know I y'all been able to check out the other pages, I didn realize when I posted this that I lo led the second of six pages, oops.

I don't know that the IR stuff will ever be important to most of us but having been totally unaware of the testing going into the camo as recently as June of this year was really interesting. I thought the multicam was kinda the end of it especially since its billed as Near IR.

Through the testing and research it seems other patterns or colorsay be better suited to the point the Army may have been near to selecting another pattern. It seems it was recently announced the US Army would be going to multicam for all its soldiers not solely in Afghanistan. Another interesting part of the read was the consideration of a universal camo across all branches rather than branch specific camo. Which I admit I thought kinda strange. If a particular pattern works for one group of guys in a given area, why wouldn't it work for some other guys just because they're sailors and not soldiers? Know what I mean?

On the topic of homemade camo and ghuille suits, I've been wanting to do something similar for a long time. I've got an old woodland camo blouse/jacket and some hemp rope. The rope is like a 4 strand 1/2" I think and the strands when separated and then the strands of the strands are separated, it begins to look like grasses. (Ok, that whole statement is really kinda funny, hemp rope, resembles grasses? lol)

But for real, I was thinkin bout making small cuts in the camo jacket then tieing the grass like strands into the cuts. I figure I could use anything local to weave or tie into it from there. I'll see I I can find the stuff and get a pic or two.

Sorry if some of my typing doesn't always make sense. I'm still typing on a phone.

Ive always wanted to do a real ghillie suit. Back when i was 15-16 I made one from some old camo's I had, cut strips from old carhartt pants and other camo that i had outgrown. Stitched em on with my ma's sewing machine. Even made a barrel sleeve and scope cover for my Marlin .22Mag. The biggest rifle I had at the time. Lol

didn't really use it I don't think. just thought it was neat to have. don't think I ever got the pants finished. seeing as how the marlin was a SS model obviously anything you can cover it with would help though.

Back