• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

That cutout on the end of the lifter ... Why?!?!

Misery930

.270 WIN
I love my 930 but good god, I hate loading it compared to my 590 and 500. I bend my thumb when I'm feeding the magazine but I tried to do some double loads today and it ate my finger. Fine, they cut it this way to avoid primer strikes in the magazine but I think a smaller cutout at the edge would be sufficient. I've got a friend who could weld some extra material on it but I'm also considering just reshaping it. Maybe cutting the edges down completely. Suggestions?

I have no idea why it's made the way it is.

However, there is a guy that makes a solid one that he sells.

I have a solid one, it helps a lot with thumb pinch. I got it from SKY Tactical. Not sure if they are still functioning, last I heard people were having issues getting ahold of them.

I have a solid one, it helps a lot with thumb pinch. I got it from SKY Tactical. Not sure if they are still functioning, last I heard people were having issues getting ahold of them.
Yeah, that's what I've heard too ...

C-Rums does the same thing and word on the street is that they seem to have a good turnaround time. Is that who you were talking about, John?

I have tried several times to get a new lifter from SKY to no avail. I will check C-Rums.

I have tried several times to get a new lifter from SKY to no avail. I will check C-Rums.
I ordered a stock lifter directly from Mossberg to have modified because my understanding is that C-Rums MODIFIES lifters that you send to him. If he sells them already done then I just wasted $25 ... haha.

All they do is weld the end and finish it smooth.

If you have the equipment and skills you can do it yourself.

I would be willing to weld one up for you. I have no idea on time or cost but have thought about buying one just to try it out... How much do they charge to mod them, anyway? I doubt they would include a new lifter... So I take it the lifter alone costs $25?

I would be willing to weld one up for you. I have no idea on time or cost but have thought about buying one just to try it out... How much do they charge to mod them, anyway? I doubt they would include a new lifter... So I take it the lifter alone costs $25?
C-Rums has it listed at $50 for the work. I've got a friend who said he may be able to do it but he wants me to show him what I'm talking about before he says yes or no. I really hope he says he can do it because otherwise, I'm paying $25 for a new lifter, $50 for the work, $8 to ship it back to me and add 3% for a credit card ... Just to add a tiny bit of extra material on to my lifter and avoid having my thumb eaten. I don't doubt that it will come back perfect but this is a large investment and a lot of time invested in that one part. Not something I'm happy about but I shoot the gun enough and pinch my thumb enough that it's worth it. I truly can't believe that no one is making these though.

So about $90 for a modified lifter is a little steep. I can see doing it for one's self to customize one's gun but i don't see a lot of people rushing out to pay the premium to have it done for them...

My thumb says its worth every penny!!

90 is a little high but not enough to.deter me kf that is the only option. I did not have to send mine it, they just sent me a new one.

Only issue I will point out that just occured to me is that the lip of the round rubs a bit on the end of the lifter, where the cutout used to be. Sometimes when unloading the mag tube the resistence is enough to make it stick a bit. It is not a big enough issue to outweigh the benefit of not pinching your thump every time you load the gun. My lifter is slightly brass colored at the end LOL.

I just wish the 930 loaded like a 590 with no lifter to push out of the way so I can load 2 at a time or drop shell in and push them in with the next

Universally, the thumb-notch, and longitudinal cutouts down the middle of lifters are to aid in the redress of a shell-stop failure, i.e., a double feed onto the lifter.

If you want that, honestly, the cut needs to be deeper. I lowered mine ~1/8" and chamfered it. For speedloading, yes a weld-up is recommended.

I ordered a stock lifter directly from Mossberg to have modified because my understanding is that C-Rums MODIFIES lifters that you send to him. If he sells them already done then I just wasted $25 ... haha.
You dont happen to have your old factory one still do ya? I'm in need and cant seem to find one.

You can also reshape the cut to either a wider "U", about 1/8" deeper than stock, or do OR3Gun's "V" cut, as below:

ECF-Show-Clear-Angle.jpg

Back