• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The old Black Weber

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Id been very much enjoying and kinda piggy backing on Caddmans thread about smoking meat thought that i may be breaking etiquette rule so id put up one myself.
Well its 5am in lower Alabama i set up the old weber kettle last night using the basic snake method. Gonna smoke a nice shoulder aka pork butt its about a 7#. Dry rubbed it yesterday. Started charcoal about 430 got up to temp and place meat on at 5am so here we go.
20170602_224651.jpg 20170603_035133.jpg 14964844791331601103304.jpg

Don't peek~~~~~~~ :)

The Weber kettle can accomplish some mighty fine smoking, and clearly you know the right technique! I believe that a Weber kettle produces just as fine a smoker result as a WSM if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for starting this thread my Alabama brother!

Don't peek~~~~~~~ :)

The Weber kettle can accomplish some mighty fine smoking, and clearly you know the right technique! I believe that a Weber kettle produces just as fine a smoker result as a WSM if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for starting this thread my Alabama brother!

It is a proven cooker for sure. I use flashlight thru vent hole if i just have to look. Lol
Hard to beat foe the price and if you keep clean and dry last long time. Now temps can roller coaster on you but seems to always end up fine for me. I do think il be investing in one of WSM shortly been studying on it awhile now. Im just a slow shopper I dont part with the pennys easily anymore. But i dont mind paying for qualitt performance.

Dj~

Hope you can spring for a WSM one day.

Ten-twelve hours of rock steady cooking temps without doing a thing, a huge water pan, two cooking grids so you can do more clods of meat at the same time.

:)

Ok heres a little edumacation. You cant see it in daylight picture but smoke is really rolling at the moment and temp has spike to 290. I used to freak out and start adjusting vents and whatnot usually causing temp to go low then scramble to get it back up. Someone eventually told me that was the grab a beer signal and relax. It is simply telling you the snake hit the next hickory block temp goes up abit for about 10 to 15 minutes then settles back down. No need to freak out. Leave it be. 20170603_100305.jpg

Since i dont actually drink anymore cup of coffee cigarette and walk to mail box alls well. Temp back to 255 and meat climbing slowly were at 163.

Attachments

• 20170603_111108.jpg
    20170603_111108.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 2
DJ when I met my wife she had a grill exactly like that. Eventually the handle rotted away and I replaced it with a bent coat hanger. Not a problem.

Then my wife's dog chewed the rubber wheel off. We were about ready to move and I tossed that old kettle out to the street on trash pick-up day. By that time it was nearly 20 years old, and we were ready for a new one.

Anyhow we were showing the house to a prospective buyer who remarked "Oh, your neighbors are barbecuing." and we peeked over the fence.

I wish we hadn't because there was our old kettle, smoking away, bent coat hanger still intact, a big rusty dent where I had tossed it in the gutter, and a broken brick propping up an axle from the missing rubber wheel. :confused:

That was 15 years ago, and whenever I drive through the old neighborhood I'm tempted to stop and peek over the fence and see if it's still there.

Thats actually pretty funny. Full disclosure several years back i was leaving the VA clinic on base passibg thru the TDY housing units i see a young pilot wheeling this black tub toward dumpsters. I stopped and said is that a weber he said yes sir works fine but im clearing quarters and not taking with me. Put it in my truck and ive been burning on it ever since. LOL
I did add one thing a new grate with sides that flip and a cover.

Were over the hump. Meat temp at 170 now. Kettle still holding 250-255. Oh the heck with it lets have a peek. The charcoal snake is exactly at half way mark after 9 hours. I dont think im going to foil this one. I didnt last time and kinda liked results.20170603_134753.jpg

I would avoid the foil as well.
I think it's always better if you don't have to use it.

20170603_153319.jpg Good groceries. Bone fell out probably could have pulled 1 hour earlier but no complaints all good. Fed across street neighbor his two grown sons myself and another friend everyone took enough for late night or lunch tomorrow. 11 1/2 hours from start grill to dishes done. Fed 5 grown ups basically 2 meals on 12 dollar pork butt from commissary. Nice day sorry bad pic i just wanted to get pullin and eat.

Its rib day ! I removed membrane and rubbed down 3 slabs yesterday. Time to let the smoke roll. Not sure whose going eat all this no company today. Il have to drum up some help this afternoon. Grill slap full i usually just do 2 slabs one20170611_101718.jpg 20170611_103054.jpg of those rib stands might be helpful.

Forgot rib setup is simple. Half chimey of hot coal piled on side kettle sprinkle some hickory on top. Then place about 10 unlit brickets on piece of hickory on top of that. Water pan on lower grate i use old cast iron skillet makes great heat sink. Ribs placed away from coals lid place with holes over meat. This will give you a nice 250 to 300 burn for about 8 hours depend on how you set vents. My ribs usually done 4 to 5 hours.

. . . i use old cast iron skillet makes great heat sink. . . .

I've been thinking that instead of using the 3-gallon pan of water in my smoker I should replace it with a thick steel plate as a heat sink.

The worn-out brake drum from an old truck might work great. Or I could just fill the bowl with scrap iron.

A lot of guys with the Weber smoker fill the bowl with sand, or just leave it empty and cover it with foil.

I've been thinking that instead of using the 3-gallon pan of water in my smoker I should replace it with a thick steel plate as a heat sink.

The worn-out brake drum from an old truck might work great. Or I could just fill the bowl with scrap iron.

A lot of guys with the Weber smoker fill the bowl with sand, or just leave it empty and cover it with foil.
I still use plain water. Many say not needed but i have it in my head it helps add some humidity helping air temp and some moisture. No proof of this just how ive always done it. The cast iron skillet i use was grandmas she used everyday i like to think her spirit in there helping me along.

Back