• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

My SPX had feed problems early. They were mostly related to the junction at the extension tube. After that was fixed I mostly had problems with bulk birdshot getting stuck in the chamber. I polished the chamber and it mostly works now, except when it gets colder out for some reason. I've tried different kinds of lube and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm looking at a longer barrel, but the JM Series is looking like a good plan too.

Michael

I polished the chamber and it mostly works now, except when it gets colder out for some reason.

Temperature change can cause a variance in powder burn rates.

This can result in a significant drop in pressure which can create cycling issues, especially when the gas system is already sensitive...

I hadn't considered the powder burn rate. I agree that my SPX is probably running on the edge of cycling problems most of the time. It does seem like once it starts having problems it still has them with the faster 1250 Winchester AA or even the Federal high brass. They usually show up as a shell that is stuck in the chamber or what would be a double feed in a pistol. I'm seeing people on the forum with extractor modifications that helped. I won't drift this thread, but in reading a few others on the forum I think I should try a few cheaper things to make the SPX more reliable before getting a new barrel. Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

Michael

My SPX had feed problems early. They were mostly related to the junction at the extension tube. After that was fixed I mostly had problems with bulk birdshot getting stuck in the chamber. I polished the chamber and it mostly works now, except when it gets colder out for some reason. I've tried different kinds of lube and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm looking at a longer barrel, but the JM Series is looking like a good plan too.

Michael
Make sure the Pusher Assembly (Black doo-hickie with the two steel bars sticking out) is not cracked. Looked very closely as it is possible to miss the crack by casually looking for it.

I hadn't considered the powder burn rate. I agree that my SPX is probably running on the edge of cycling problems most of the time. It does seem like once it starts having problems it still has them with the faster 1250 Winchester AA or even the Federal high brass. They usually show up as a shell that is stuck in the chamber or what would be a double feed in a pistol. I'm seeing people on the forum with extractor modifications that helped. I won't drift this thread, but in reading a few others on the forum I think I should try a few cheaper things to make the SPX more reliable before getting a new barrel. Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

Michael

Your description is exactly what I get with underpowered ammo. The extractor is not the problem. It'll do what it's supposed to do when the bolt is pushed back with the proper amount of force. My 18.5" wouldn't eat anything under 1300 fps for the longest time and still chokes on anything with velocities approaching 1200 fps...

Make sure the Pusher Assembly (Black doo-hickie with the two steel bars sticking out) is not cracked. Looked very closely as it is possible to miss the crack by casually looking for it.

I just disassembled my SPX and didn't see any cracks in the pusher assembly. The gun barrel was harder to remove than I remember it being last time I took it apart about 100 rounds ago. My piston was almost glued to the magazine tube. I also have some rust pitting forming under the piston and sleeve. I had shot a variety of different ammo over the last couple weeks and maybe the combination gummed it up quicker than usual. Is there such a thing as corrosive shotgun ammo? The only odd stuff I shot was some Walmart buckshot. Perfecta, maybe?

I hit the tube with steel wool and cleaned everything good. I can see a benefit to having the stainless pieces like the JM Series. Can you buy those parts from Mossberg?

Michael

I would give Mossberg sales a call...

(800) 363-3555

Reference the JM Pro model number #85118 and let them know you're looking for a list of replacement parts. It's the easiest way for them to look up their part numbers...

I just disassembled my SPX and didn't see any cracks in the pusher assembly. The gun barrel was harder to remove than I remember it being last time I took it apart about 100 rounds ago. My piston was almost glued to the magazine tube. I also have some rust pitting forming under the piston and sleeve. I had shot a variety of different ammo over the last couple weeks and maybe the combination gummed it up quicker than usual. Is there such a thing as corrosive shotgun ammo? The only odd stuff I shot was some Walmart buckshot. Perfecta, maybe?

I hit the tube with steel wool and cleaned everything good. I can see a benefit to having the stainless pieces like the JM Series. Can you buy those parts from Mossberg?

Michael

Do not put lube of any kind on the mag tube. I place a small bit of Froglube (Use the lube of your choice) on the rings and wipe off the excess. I do the same in the cylinder wall where the piston piston rides.

I've had my 930SPX for a few years now. Generally speaking it's run very well - making sure I was running 1200+ fps ammo and making sure I was properly 'behind' the gun was they key. Just sold it and purchased a 24" 930 JM Pro as the shorter barrel was always going to be an issue as I got more competitive. I'm hoping to have a similar experience with this as I did with my SPX.

It's been my experience that the JM Pro should give you fewer ammo related issues than the SPX. Keep us posted...

01/02/15 6:10 PM

Greetings all.
New here but have a few Mossies.
JUST I mean, minutes ago, brought home a 930 HD (85320)
I've been reading up on 930s for awhile now right here but finally left today. I have a few issues and concerns so I'm coming to you guys for the help I need I'm in the right place.
I handled the 930 SPXs and an "older" 85320 HD they had on the rack at my local dealer. I say older because it was hat I'm assuming is the older crescent shaped bolt/charging handle.
That's where I really learned to like the gun. I researched researched and researched some more here and via Google and finally decided to bite today.
I called the local dealer and asked if they had NIB 85320s they answered yes.
I showed up to buy it with no haggling and was told by the MOST competent guy in the store they had zero except "the old" 85320 I had been admiring on the floor.
I was annoyed and wanted "new" manufacture because of all of the problems I thought I read about here.
He said a week to order. But being off today and tomorrow and being a mossy addict I wanted it, you guessed it; RIGHT NOW.
So I reasoned maybe I'll find one locally somewhere else. After calling all of the Wally worlds in the area and local dealers coming up empty I called the dealer and asked if he COULD date it based on the ser. no. He said "no" I found that odd but bit. I asked if he'd take something off the floor model for its relatively minor dents and dings (my 9200A1s the safe queen this one will be the go to tool gun) he said he would so I returned and bought it. Despite my concerns that its old stock.
I returned here and re-read everything I had already read. I realized and please correct me if I'm wrong; that the issues were "early" 930s were limited to those in "SPX" (rail, ghost ring, ext mag tube) configuration (?).
My HD gun is bare bone; no mag ext, no front sight post no rail no rear ghost ring.
When I got the gun home I looked the ser. no. And realized it starts AF12....
Is this an indicator that the gun is a 2012 manufacture?
The "packed date" sticker on the box is 8/13/13 so that logic still follows.
Then I looked at the posts here and realized early manufacture and late manufacture cut offs MAY be much earlier than 2012 but I'm not certain. So can anyone please advise?
My trigger pack or FCG has a lot of wiggle, jiggle or wobble. Is this inherent to 930s? I saw that incorrectly sized FCG pins was a problem with early 930s. Is this gun a victim of that? ie: is TCG slop an indicator of loose FCG pins?
Basically guys, help me out; any reason to worry? Before I shoot it at all I want to know as much as possible in case I want to load it back in the car and return to the dealer and haggle it out with him.

Thank you all in advance for all of the info I've gained so far and for any help you give me now.

Last edited:
I picked up a 930 hd last fall, serial # AF127___ . Haven't shot it too much, but it did work flawlessly out of the box, without cleaning or modifications. Really want to add ghost sights to it, but might not since there's no easy way to accomplish that.

Hi Folks,
Am looking at getting an Auto Shotgun. Was seriously looking at the 930 SPX. But after reading through this thread I am wondering if I should just save my pennies and nickels and pony up for a Benelli M4.

The reason being, it seems that there is a fairly serious and persistent QC problem and that is compounded many fold be a manufacturer that is practically impossible to contact for a resolution and then insists that the buyer foot the transportation costs. Are these fair observations?

They were, but maybe not so much lately.

We have seen fewer QC issues with new production SPX models. Aside from the obvious QC issues, the feeding problems all seem to stem from Mossberg building an 18.5" gas operated shotgun using the same gas system that was designed for much longer barrels. Being a defensive weapon, they usually run just fine with higher velocity loads or those with more weight/mass. Most stoppages are related to underpowered or lighter weight/mass bulk target ammo. I had the same issues with my 18.5" 930 Tactical. Ran fine with slugs and most buck shot, but wouldn't eat any ammo with velocities under 1350-1400 fps without frequent stoppages. Was able to fix the problem with one of the OR3GUN aftermarket spacer tubes. Now it eats anything and runs like my JM Pro.

The "contact us" page on their website is useless, but contacting Mossberg CS via their direct phone line is relatively easy. We have a direct line of communication via email to Mossberg's lead tech that has proven to be an invaluable resource for those in need...

They were, but maybe not so much lately.

We have seen fewer QC issues with new production SPX models. Aside from the obvious QC issues, the feeding problems all seem to stem from Mossberg building an 18.5" gas operated shotgun using the same gas system that was designed for much longer barrels. Being a defensive weapon, they usually run just fine with higher velocity loads or those with more weight/mass. Most stoppages are related to underpowered or lighter weight/mass bulk target ammo. I had the same issues with my 18.5" 930 Tactical. Ran fine with slugs and most buck shot, but wouldn't eat any ammo with velocities under 1350-1400 fps without frequent stoppages. Was able to fix the problem with one of the OR3GUN aftermarket spacer tubes. Now it eats anything and runs like my JM Pro.

The "contact us" page on their website is useless, but contacting Mossberg CS via their direct phone line is relatively easy. We have a direct line of communication via email to Mossberg's lead tech that has proven to be an invaluable resource for those in need...

Thanx for that. I had been watching youtube videos praising the gun. Then decided to cruise this forum. I am usually on the Pump forum, didn't even know there was a 930 forum here! Then saw this thread and was like holy cow you wouldn't know this was going on from the youtube reviews of the gun.

My pleasure.

When the platform first launched Mossberg made a metric $#!+ ton of them and in their haste, apparent corners were cut or QC just couldn't keep up. They also made a few running changes in the middle of it which resulted in a couple different generations with varying gas springs, sight posts, etc. One of our staff members here, @SHOOTER13 has an SPX that I believe has been 100% since day one. I'd wager that the success stories outweigh the issues, but most of those never get posted here on the forum...

My pleasure.

When the platform first launched Mossberg made a metric $#!+ ton of them and in their haste, apparent corners were cut or QC just couldn't keep up. They also made a few running changes in the middle of it which resulted in a couple different generations with varying gas springs, sight posts, etc. One of our staff members here, @SHOOTER13 has an SPX that I believe has been 100% since day one. I'd wager that the success stories outweigh the issues, but most of those never get posted here on the forum...

It looks like it has quieted down quite a bit the last year or so. The spring issues I read here would make someone really question the engineering, then there's the canted site and all the other stuff that are really ridiculous.

That being said, I am starting to watch Benelli videos...

I've shot my 930 Tactical and JM Pro side by side with Benelli's M4 and M2.

The Benellis are sweet machines without a doubt. Still, I bought both of my 930's for less than the sticker price of an M2. Even with the aftermarket parts I've added I still came out far ahead on cost...

Back