• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Things I've learned about the 500A since 1985....

Conn 500

.270 WIN
Tens of thousands of rounds (skeet mainly-sometimes 8-10 boxes of 25 a day when I was younger to keep sharp)* and I've noticed a few things about the 500A. 1-The plastic safety is still functioning without problems as is the bolt, extractors, ejector, etc. 2-The magazine spring still works fine and is original and is always compressed with 5 in the tube 24/7 in the gun safe since 1985, 3-All pistol grips suck especially with slugs, 4-An extra full choke on a 28" barrel will win many a gobbler at turkey shoots, 5-The 500A is the most durable and reliable firearm I've ever owned, 6-the "aluminum receiver" is just fine after years of use, 7-The magazine tube is easily removed for cleaning after decades of use with a hairdryer pointed at the threaded end through the bottom of the receiver and easily hand turned after 8-10 minutes, 8-In all the rounds through my 500A there has not been one jam, failure to fire (except a few dud primers on the shells) or failure to extract no matter how fast I cycle the gun. I've shot them all at one time or another and consider the 500A the best pump shotgun you can buy.
* used to shoot doubles against guys with semi-autos and O/Us. Always at a disadvantage, the 500A held its own, but the 2nd bird was often a challenge. The 500A was king of my club at American skeet.

Excellent! I have owned a 500 for several years now and hope I can say the same after ... a few more years!

Thanks for the observations about the 500 tank. I like you comment on the spring. A spring wears from compressing and being released, not sitting in a static condition.

Is there something you would prefer to see different or is it just fine in it's simple/rugged configuration.

Great post! Too many people buy a gun, shoot a box through it and then declare it the best ever without having even seen anything else. And many others take speculation written or said in various reviews as gospel, buy the marketing hype and then repeat all of it to convert others. So it's nice to get the straight dope from heavy users (didn't sound right).
This said, I don't think that all mag tubes are equally loctited because I tried a heat gun and a lot of elbow grease before taking mine to a gunsmith. Then again I might be a wimp. :D Nah, I was afraid of damaging the receiver and/or crushing the tube.

Back