• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

This is why you should be prepared

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Notice that I didn't say" this is why you should prep" in the title, but that's essentially what I meant.

In times of a real emergency, shelves are often picked clean in a matter of minutes. Especially if you don't live in a large city with a dozen grocery stores and big box stores within a 5 mile radius.

This is just one example. Yesterday an emergency alert about the water was sent out through the emergency alert system.

This is a photo of a subsequent aisle where the water is usually stocked.

And looks like the idiots pretty much left the beer sitting there.

456469b0916847c6a7e863b2b8bbc129.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-official-apologizes-cryptic-emergency-alert-184047145.html

It's like that with milk and bread here too when the weatherman says there's going to be snow.

Well it won't be the Enfamil they grab.

Two huge prominent locked display cases exist at our Walmart: ammunition and Enfamil. (Walmart generic Enfamil too.)

Why the hell, in this country does milk for sick babies have to be so expensive that they put it under lock and key at our Walmart?

The next County over (Tulare) is the biggest Dairy County in the freaking Nation folks. My son-in-law does nothing but drive from Dairy to Dairy testing milk. That one County boasts nearly half a million cows, and they don't have a monopoly.

Calif pharmaceutical/medical industry is at the top of the world in R&D and scoring big profits.

Why the hell isn't milk for sick babies too cheap to lock up?

And looks like the idiots pretty much left the beer sitting there.
Beer is ideal for a crisis since the alcohol and hops help keep it from spoiling. Schlitz sent free beer to Chicago after their great fire and the good will gave it the slogan "the beer that made Milwaukee famous".

Well it won't be the Enfamil they grab.

Two huge prominent locked display cases exist at our Walmart: ammunition and Enfamil. (Walmart generic Enfamil too.)

Why the hell, in this country does milk for sick babies have to be so expensive that they put it under lock and key at our Walmart?
I don't know why it is so expensive but WalMart recently caught flack for locking up the hair dye for women at some locations. They announced that they only lock up items which are likely to be shop lifted.

walmart caught flak for locking up products because some hyphenated American complained and said it was racist for walmart to lock up products that hyphenated Americans are more likely to shop for than un-hyphenated Americans or some such nonsense.

I think it's totally racist for white people to shop at Walmart every single day of the week, and we should all give the other folks sort of a "day off", where they don't have to deal with all the bad karma and micro-abuse of having white folks there.
Everybody . . . employees, customers, delivery guys . . . all the white people . . . just don't go that day. Let all the other folks have their very own day at Walmart.

I think it would just be a wonderful experience for them and the company.

Visa card payments system returns to full capacity after crash
Firm apologises to millions left unable to pay for goods and services across UK and rest of Europe

Millions of people were left unable to pay for goods and services across Europe after the unprecedented crash, which began at around 2.30pm.

Major retailers had earlier confirmed that card purchases were failing. Queues built up at petrol stations and shopping was left at supermarket tills as customers were unable to pay.

Lisa Eagleton-Muir, 44, who had come to London to audition for the Great British Sewing Bee, could not buy any food--I tried to buy my tea in M&S and a cafe but they were both rejected. I don’t know what I’m going to do. It’s a long journey home with no food.”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/01/visa-card-network-crashes-and-sparks-payment-chaos

I love the way that they stated in the article that this was a hardware failure and not the result of any terrorist or Cyber attack.

The thing is, that a company that size has Hardware redundancies of an incredible nature. Without good backups they are totally out of business because they can't collect money if they don't know who owes it.

(@Scoop tag..... yer it bud)

Very good reminder !!!!
Going to Florida after two different hurricanes to give family and friends a hand. The first time was hurricane Andrew in the early 90s saw many standing around waiting on some one to hand themnfood and water for theyre families. The next time I went dont remember storm name but I went to palm beach area to bring a generator to an old army buddy, the first event I witnessed was two different fist fights by what appeared to be fairly "normal" folks but completely desperate in a virtually empty Publix grocery store not even 48 hours after the storm ?? People having so little food on hand at home that theyd fight for it within 2 days is very foreign to rhe way we were raised and live. Yes kids your local store my last 48 to 72 hours thats all folks
Simply i suppose if you dont prepare you wont be prepared ?

priorities.

I guess if I spent all my money on stuff other than food, I'll have other stuff and no food.

That is also a foreign thought as to how I was raised too. My Grandmother had very little even before the great depression. She often joked that she didn't even notice. Yet, they planted huge gardens and owned an apple orchard. Bee hives for honey. Made moonshine for several generations. She never went hungry.

edit to add (My grandmother was the baby, so this photo would've been spring of 1912) in front of their house.

mammy.jpg

My great grandpa Will about to start plowing the fields again. This photo was taken sometime before my Grandmother was born and is older. the building in the background is the corn crib.

Yeah, this is where I come from.

great grandpa will joseph and horse.jpg

priorities.

I guess if I spent all my money on stuff other than food, I'll have other stuff and no food.

That is also a foreign thought as to how I was raised too. My Grandmother had very little even before the great depression. She often joked that she didn't even notice. Yet, they planted huge gardens and owned an apple orchard. Bee hives for honey. Made moonshine for several generations. She never went hungry.

edit to add (My grandmother was the baby, so this photo would've been spring of 1912) in front of their house.

View attachment 18522

My great grandpa Will about to start plowing the fields again. This photo was taken sometime before my Grandmother was born and is older. the building in the background is the corn crib.

Yeah, this is where I come from.

View attachment 18523

Love the photos and family history, something that is sadly going out of style.....

My Grandparents, Elbert and Mahala Garrett on the family farm near Flint township in NE Arkansas in the late teens or early 20`s.

Elbertlate1900s-1.jpg 1508091_10203542147174663_4340450282462119494_n.jpg

I like the old photos too Elbert. Thanks for sharing those.

I remember learning how to milk a cow when I was about 4 years old. Funny how some things I can remember, but most things I can't at that age.

That is one that I do remember thankfully.

My Grandmother took me up to the barn early in the morning. Sun was out, shining through the cracks in the wood siding lighting up the stall.

Mammaw told me not to walk behind the cow so it wouldn't kick me and kill me.

She sat down on a little stool with a bucket and started to milk the cow. After a few minutes, I wanted to try, so she showed me how to kinda squeeze and pull at the same time and I missed the bucket more than I hit it, but just tasting the milk that fresh was unlike anything store bought that you'll ever have. So creamy and sweet.

Grocery milk does not hold a candle to how "real" milk tastes.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. While I feel a tear swelling up in my eye, there's a big smile on my face. I am so grateful for my humble upbringing.

Life was hard for a lot of folks back then, but they appreciated what they had. Family was a big deal, as was God. This day and age there are so many lost souls wandering around, like ships without rudders. They have no God nor family. They think big brother, the government, will take care of them.

I can't imagine how most of our young folks will survive if things were to get really tough. Sure, today our athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster, but the average joe hasn't the character nor the will to take care of themselves in hard times. They are the "I am entitled" generation. Sadly for them there are no trophies for participating in life unless you work hard.

Thanks for sharing those pics John and Elbert. Thanks for the music Dj.

Guys that is some genuine history.

Mine is not nearly so rural on this continent, but that's probably pretty much how Dad's family looked during the great Irish famine, before leaving for New York. Except there were no real open forest or log cabins in Ireland. The house would have been homemade mortar and stone rubble with a thatched roof and a stone and dirt floor.

But there are no photos of those times and everyone who remembers them is long gone. Dad's mom's father came as a child and he was the last one. When I was a small child he was near 100 (nobody knew for sure) and so arthritic he could not pick up a dime from the table.

Like John said, I can't remember most things at a very young age, but there are some that stand out.

My grandparents lived on 15 acres of rented land in Eugene, Missouri when I was young. Lots of hickory and walnut trees, and a pond. Near the pond were a couple of blackberry bushes. I can remember grandma and myself picking blackberries early in the morning, right after she had milked the cow, then she would fix me a bowl of fresh berries with fresh cream from the milk . I swear it was the best berries I have ever had.

Another memory is grandmas homemade bread. She cooked on a wood burner and how she did that is beyond me . They had no gas or even propane at the time so wood was used to cook and heat. Potbellied stove in the living room and a woodburner in the kitchen. Plumbing consisted of a well just off the back porch and a bucket. And of course the proverbial outhouse. I think it was indoor plumbing that put Montgomery Ward out of business, not the internet.

The more I type the more memories come back. LOL. They are all good.

Well we have once again gone gleefully down the rabbit hole; but back to the topic of preparedness, I had this one thought.

On January 1st in California, a new law takes effect that requires all ammunition to be imported and sold through licensed dealers only.

I'm thinking that the shelves are going to be picked clean in the last days of this year, but we shall see.

A lot of people have been stocking up on ammunition so there may not be the empty shelves that I expect.

But then again people tend to wait till the last minute to do things.

Back