• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thoughts on BAT Receiver conversion

JoshT

.22LR
Hope this is posted in the right spot.

I just recently bought my second shotgun, a Maverick 88, and really don't need a third. I came across this BAT Pro Series some time back and just can't shake the idea if a drop box mag fed pump shotgun.

Thinking about picking up one of their receiver kits and making it a long term project. Would be building it from "scratch" using mostly used parts bought a little along and as cheap as possible (IE: eBay auctions).

Before moving forward with this idea I wanted to see what the general consensus was on these receivers. So, whatcha think?

Can't seem to get my phone to cooperate with posting a link. It is the receiver conversion kit from Black Aces Tactical to use a saiga magazine.

Meh, I'm of the belief that if you want high capacity firepower, there are better (i.e. lighter and more reliable ) options than a drum fed shotgun.

That said, I've spent money on many things others thought were pointless just because I wanted to do it for my own reasons.

Regardless of what I think, do what makes you happy!!

^ Yes sir.

Much faster than fumbling around with those oversized mags. These shotgun DBM kits just seem like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

I've got an 835, a maverick 88, a .223/5.56 AR and a 6.8 spc AR. I'm not worried about high capacity firepower. Just something different and an interesting project I can work on a little along.

I have an 835 18.5" security barrel that'll never be reinstalled on it. I'm soon to have a spare mag tube. I'll probably end up with a 500 foregrip on my 88, which will leave me with a spare slide assembly. So add a receiver, a few internal parts, and a grip/stock and I'll have another shotgun to use around the house. One for each end if the house and the 835 for the hunting club. Sure I could use a standard stripped receiver, but for a little more I can build something different.

Like I said above talking about I'm building another shotgun, not converting one of my exist guns. Just wandering what y'all think about them.

Got nothing to take pics of, still trying to decide if I even want to do it. I appreciate the input, but its not really the type of input I was looking for. Tactics are fine, but more interested in the product.

Its like MikeD said:
That said, I've spent money on many things others thought were pointless just because I wanted to do it for my own reasons.
I'm just trying to decide if this will be one of those things. It cheaper than some stuff I've done it on.

With proper training I don't think a mag change would take longer than a tactical shotgun reload and instead of having to repeat you are good for another 10+ rounds. That said I'm talking out my azz cause I haven't trained for either, but IMO that's a topic for another thread.

Last edited:
I don't have any hands on with the product, so I can't really go there.

As was said earlier, if you wanna build it, then by all means, please do.

If you can share pics and opinions, we'd like to hear about it.

I'll be getting my income tax in a few weeks. If I'm still interested I'll pick up a receiver and we'll see what happens.

Still interested in hearing from y'all..

So I was thinking about this project while trying to kill the past few hours at work. I've figured out a better way to describe what I'm thinking about building:

An expensive, and hopefully fun, spare parts holder! :D

Sounds like a cool project to do.
If it's something you feel like it would be cool to do then I say go for it.
I like to do something different or mod something just because.
I'm currently building a slide fire AR and a bullpup SG just because I don't have either, so why not.
If u like it then do it. Can't wait to see the outcome.

Back