• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thread adapters

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I ordered a couple of thread adapters for a few of my comm block weapons with 14-1 LH threads so I can use a few "other" and more available muzzle attachments on them.

While I had seen various adapters from places like TROS, I can't recall ever seeing one from 14-1LH to 1/2-28 RH, so when I saw them, I ordered them on the spot from CNC Warrior. And they were very reasonably priced too at about $17 each.

Updates to come after I get them, though it may be after Christmas before I get to post many real updates to the thread with pics and maybe some video. After all, what I have in mind serves as one of the most efficient flash hiders and recoil brakes ever. ;)

http://www.cncwarrior.com/Thread-Adapters-s/1949.htm

Very good intuition dieselmudder. There's a very good chance that it will. As well as being able to use more standard AR style muzzle attachments so long as they're overbored enough to pass the .310'ish diameter 7.62x39.

You see, back in 2006/2007 when I was designing my first Form 1 suppressor, it was made to be a "multi-caliber and multi-use" can that have been getting more popular lately from a few different manufacturers.

I built it to accommodate 9mm ammo because that's one of the most effective calibers to suppress and it's considerably larger than 30 caliber rifle bullets, but I purposely over built it from 4130 chromemoly so it could withstand over 63k psi, which is most calibers out there, so I could build "the one" suppressor that I could use on virtually any gun that I own and could attach it to because I didn't want to, nor can I afford to own multiple suppressors to mount on various guns just because that used to be the standard way of doing it. And so my quest began to build "the one".

While the trade off is it's a heavy beast, it has taken a lot of pounding over the years and will very likely outlast the next few generations of my bloodline. I have used it for recreation, practice, and even successful whitetail hunting. Here it is on a 6.8 spcII that I built several years ago, though in this picture was wrapped with a scrap piece of old camouflage shirt.

deerhunting003.jpg

Now that some of the project background has been covered, while commblock weapons are able to be suppressed, being able to attach the can to them is a different dilemma altogether being threaded in backwards metric and altogether different size and style threads, but now finding a company who is aerospace certified and able to machine parts to very tight tolerances, I am comfortable enough to try the thread adapters to suppress a few platforms that I previously have not been able to.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed, I was kind of hoping you had designed some type of breakthrough, that didn't require the tax stamp. But impressed with your ingenuity of an "all caliber" design nonetheless.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed, I was kind of hoping you had designed some type of breakthrough, that didn't require the tax stamp.

Like this? LINK ;) Of course without a tax stamp using this device (and getting caught) could result in an extended stay in Motel Federale... :eek:

On the bright side, Legislators in FL are working to get a bill passed to allow suppressors on hunting rifles. :) Typical brain-dead protests against them but passage seems likely.

Attachments

• NewAdapter_top.png
    NewAdapter_top.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 5
@John A. thats pretty badass. ive spent countless hours pondering how i might design a device like that. nothing that intricate though. very nice.

@Bobster, i'm a career mechanic, i have taps and dies. metric, standard, coarse, fine, pipe............. i know all about making one thing fit another. wether its supposed to be there or not. lol ive made a piece of 1/2 NPT pipe fit a -8 ORB port.

Adapters themselves are not considered a NFA item and are not subject to the tax as long as they are not attached to, say, an oil filter or other type of suppressor. Then it becomes part of a controlled item and can not be removed. At least that is my understanding at this time...

Anything that reduces the sound/report of a firearm = a suppressor.

Even individual parts to one.

No sound reduction, not a suppressor.

Anything that reduces the sound/report of a firearm = a suppressor.

Even individual parts to one.

No sound reduction, not a suppressor.

Roger that.

The heard that FL just approved suppressors for hunting. That should add to the NFA backlog.

If they are I'll be kicking myself...for throwing so many away w/o seeing their "other" lives...

Just for sound reference, here's the fender washer can on the dedicated 22LR upper. It's the 2nd part of the video starting at 13 seconds if you haven't seen/heard it ;)

So, if you build your own suppressor, is it fairly easy to get a tax stamp on it? (ie: make it "legal") This is assuming you won't be re-selling it... Then you would be a mfg with different rules, correct?

I have some info on suppy construction info I'll dig out of my archives and post it in a day or so. .22LR SS fairly easy--.308, not so easy...

PS: a buddy of mine (FFL class 3?) has a 10/22 with custom "one piece" suppressed barrel. Last time I was over, he was shooting flowers in his front yard :eek: flower bed to show me how quiet it was--and it was... :rolleyes: ;)

PPS: what size ID are those fender washers--brilliant idea! :) I think I have a box on the shelf! :D

Last edited:
Well, this topic has went very different than I had planned, but since we're on the subject, I'll answer the questions the best I can, but I'll send it in PM

lol, sorry John. but good to know the adapters are commercially available. They are something ive thought about cutting myself, with basic hand/power tools.

No need for apologies buddy. It's all good.

Got a tracking number for the thread adapters. Should be here Thursday.

I will be able to try it on the SKS bullpup I converted earlier this year at least until Christmas when I can mount it on another platform, though still in 7.62x39 nonetheless.

The different sizes of adapters should allow for mix-n-match of different muzzle brakes and flash suppressors. Not all brakes are made to fit each type of threaded barrel.

Back