• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

To Flex or not to Flex

butodw

Hi, All,

New member and novice gun owner. Am retired military. For about 18 months, I have owned Glock 26 & 19 Gen 4 and CZ P-01 - love these handguns; but now I'd like to get a shotgun.

Primary purpose is Home/self-defense; but would like to use the shotgun for Trap. Mossberg pump is my choice based on everything I've read about dependability, location of safety, feed mechanism, etc.

Originally thought 590A1 was best choice but at the CA Trap and Skeet range, I learned that tactical shotguns are not allowed.

The Flex looks like I could switch between a tactical and sporting gun. But not sure what the differences are between the 500 and the 590.

I called Mossberg and it sounds like the 590 would require changing the magazine tube (I.e., more than using the easy TLS system). My gut tells me that a Flex 500 with a 26" and 18.5 barrel along with a tactical and standard stock will work well. And the 590 doesn't add much for the money.

Would appreciate your thoughts before I buy my gun(s) this week or next!

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome OP.

looks like model 54320 fits the bill. The mossy 12 gauge 500 series will do the job for you nicely. It will be a nice option at home and in the field. If you can hit clays with the 18.5" barrel you'll not even have the change it over!

The 590/590A1 series is for heavy use and heavy duty. And I really do mean "heavy". The shot guns are considerably heavier than the 500.

Welcome OP.

looks like model 54320 fits the bill. The mossy 12 gauge 500 series will do the job for you nicely. It will be a nice option at home and in the field. If you can hit clays with the 18.5" barrel you'll not even have the change it over!

The 590/590A1 series is for heavy use and heavy duty. And I really do mean "heavy". The shot guns are considerably heavier than the 500.
Thanks! I thought the 54320 was ideal, but then saw that it was 20 gauge! Or is there a 12 gauge model? OBTW this CA range requires a min of 20" barrel.

Thanks! I thought the 54320 was ideal, but then saw that it was 20 gauge! Or is there a 12 gauge model? OBTW this CA range requires a min of 20" barrel.

If it's 12 gauge then check out model 55117. It even come s in a cool coloration!!

I had a flex model for awhile. I found that you can change the stock to a "standard" stock or an adjustable stock and the barrel and forearm can be changed easily so you can have a "normal" shotgun for hunting and trap or a "tactical" model for home defense.

Whatever SKU you decide upon, get a really good look at it in your hands before buying it. Look for some of the "issues" a few have experienced. You should find it will be fine but I'd rather you not be surprised by a 1:100 issue.

I had a flex model for awhile. I found that you can change the stock to a "standard" stock or an adjustable stock and the barrel and forearm can be changed easily so you can have a "normal" shotgun for hunting and trap or a "tactical" model for home defense.
Just curious: Why did you get rid of it?

Whatever SKU you decide upon, get a really good look at it in your hands before buying it. Look for some of the "issues" a few have experienced. You should find it will be fine but I'd rather you not be surprised by a 1:100 issue.
I did see one member who had an issue with his forend breaking when he first got it - but Mossberg fixed that quickly.

Would appreciate knowing of any other issues I should be aware of. Thanks again.

Just curious: Why did you get rid of it?

That shotgun kicked like a mule. I don't know if it was the stock design (I had the tactical adjustable pull stock and the pistol grip) or what. I sold it and picked up a KSG which kicked less. I now also have the Shockwave and it is much easier to use.

I started shooting Trap with my 500.
The longer the barrel, the better for the game!
After learning the game I realized the 500 was perfect for learning, but not for competitive shooting.
My 500's still get plenty of use shooting Skeet, Sporting, and 5 Stand. All for fun, not competition!
I also hunt the 500's and use for HD.

For everyone looking for a 500, I always send them looking at the used market. The deals are FANTASTIC out there.

Trap to HD, will absolutely require a barrel swap. 2 minutes to do.
The stock can always be tucked under the arm for HD, since beads will probably never be used during an HD scenario.

Just my 2cents, from a guy who has 4 500's, 2 12ga, a 20ga and a .410 in a safe full of shotguns.

Good luck and enjoy the journey to a Shotgun!

I started shooting Trap with my 500.
The longer the barrel, the better for the game!
After learning the game I realized the 500 was perfect for learning, but not for competitive shooting.
My 500's still get plenty of use shooting Skeet, Sporting, and 5 Stand. All for fun, not competition!
I also hunt the 500's and use for HD.

For everyone looking for a 500, I always send them looking at the used market. The deals are FANTASTIC out there.

Trap to HD, will absolutely require a barrel swap. 2 minutes to do.
The stock can always be tucked under the arm for HD, since beads will probably never be used during an HD scenario.

Just my 2cents, from a guy who has 4 500's, 2 12ga, a 20ga and a .410 in a safe full of shotguns.

Good luck and enjoy the journey to a Shotgun!
Thank you so much for this perspective. As a secondary purpose, My intention IS for sport, NOT competitive, trap shooting, so your advice is what I was hoping for. I did suspect that a longer barrel is better for trap/skeet.

Dave

That shotgun kicked like a mule. I don't know if it was the stock design (I had the tactical adjustable pull stock and the pistol grip) or what. I sold it and picked up a KSG which kicked less. I now also have the Shockwave and it is much easier to use.
Aha, got it. I have been thinking that a pistol grip might be harder on felt recoil than a standard stock.

Butodw,

The more I look at model 55117 the more I want one! I already own 3 mossy pumps and 1 Mossy OU so I don't need a 4th.

Check out model 85325 as well. It's a semi with 2 barrel options. The semi auto is better (in my opinion) for trap, skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays than a pump gun. Has chokes which will become important if you get into field sports. If I was to buy a 5th Mossy it would be a 930.

It's also a pretty formidable HD option as well. Hear the bad guy, see the bad guy, warn the bad guy and if in jeopardy pull the trigger

So many choices I know but whatever you buy you'll be happy!

Butodw,

The more I look at model 55117 the more I want one! I already own 3 mossy pumps and 1 Mossy OU so I don't need a 4th.

Check out model 85325 as well. It's a semi with 2 barrel options. The semi auto is better (in my opinion) for trap, skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays than a pump gun. Has chokes which will become important if you get into field sports. If I was to buy a 5th Mossy it would be a 930.

It's also a pretty formidable HD option as well. Hear the bad guy, see the bad guy, warn the bad guy and if in jeopardy pull the trigger

So many choices I know but whatever you buy you'll be happy!
All, Cannot thank you all enough for sharing your experience and insights! I have decided to go with a combo Field and Security Mossy 54169. Has 28" vented barrel which I will use for sport clays; and an 18.5" barrel for HD. I decided to get the Flex conversion kit that will allow me to convert only the Forend (for now) so I can swap out barrels and put a tactical forend on quickly. I am holding off on converting the stock becuz I was not excited about the Flex stock alternatives to the stock barrel, i.e., the stock with Pistol grip got bad reviews from members as well as The Truth About Guns (TTAG) reviewer; and I am also not looking for a plain pistol grip either. I do very much like the feel of the Magpul SGA stock and will use that for clays and HD. So all that pointed me to a half Flex solution - just Flex the front half. If stock options improve, I'll be able to install the Flex stock adapter later.

Bottom line is that I cannot wait to get the gun(s), and thank you all again for helping me to make a better informed choice!

Butodw,
Good choice the wood look is classic!!
Post some pics when you get things just right

Purchased new FLEX 500 Combo Waterfowl/Security #55117 and noticed 28" barrel did not have porting. attached link below shows that longer barrel has multiple holes for porting:
https://www.mossberg.com/product/flex-500-combo-waterfowlsecurity-55117/

it seems that the base shotgun i received was a FLEX 500 Hunting #50124, which has the same FLEX mossy oak stock and forend grip but no ported barrel:
https://www.mossberg.com/product/flex-500-hunting-50124/

when i downloaded #50124's high resolution image, it clearly showed a ported barrel and in a different color:
http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/50124-media.jpg

while the website link above does not show a ported barrel:
https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/50124_FLEX500_Hunt_TanMAX4_28in_FOfnt.png
moss1.jpg moss2.jpg
Is the FLEX 500 Combo Waterfowl/Security #55117 i own missing its porting on the 28" barrel?

I can definitely see your point. Who is your vendor? Mossberg? Have they been contacted?

index.php

Back