• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Took my youngest to the gun store yesterday!

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Theres a place near here I discovered recently via radio advertisement called 22three. It's hands down the best gun store I've ever visited! I want to rent a room there!!! Seriously, it's cool, laid back, very friendly... you know how in small towns the old men hang out at local diners or whatever early in the morning and have coffee and just talk? That's how this place is. Only it's guns. Not coffee. But maybe they had coffe. And it's not just old men. They have a few tables inside and a porch outside with chairs. I mean it's really like a porch, rocking chairs, wood railing etc. It's a new building though.

I went with my youngest, she's 11 now. We were doing a sort of father daughter date day. I took her too a really cool old town and they were having a festival and car show with the streets closed off and everything. We stopped in a small chocolate shop and I bought her a plush/stuffed cat that she really liked. We got some coffee and snacks and headed to the gun store.

The purpose for going to the gun store was to see what handgun best fit her as she's getting more interested in shooting. Initially one of the guys suggested a couple .22s like the venerable Ruger and even a S&W shield or something. I told them that she's been shooting a 1911 but it's just a little big and that my wife has some ideas for a carry gun and that my hope was to find something to serve a dual purpose; carry gun for my wife as well as being something my daughter could practice with.

Now this place doesn't have glass cases full of guns. What they have is a wall of guns. The guns are on lanyards but held with a small clip. I asked the guy if my daughter would be able to handle the guns to check fit and make sure she could reach the trigger and they enthusiastically said yes! We tried out about 20 different pistols from Glock to HK to FN to Sig to S&W to Walther to of course Kimber and one that I'm very interested in, the Honor Defense Honor Guard 9mm. (I really like that one as well as the newer FN 509) The full size striker fired guns she couldn't properly reach the trigger. 1911s are a little easier just because the trigger design is different (and superior in my opinion) :) She most like the guns that were more similar to my Ultra Carry, but there were a couple double action striker fired pistols she was ok with. (We were actually able to cycle each firearm and dry fire) The Glock trigger is disgusting. It's spongy with a lot of take up and the wall of resistance builds without being able to feel where it breaks. Some of the striker fired guns had a little take up, real smooth with no resistance, then the wall and a clean crisp break. Some were just too stiff for my daughter. The S&W was one of those. Her favorite was the smaller Sig .380 carry gun and the runner up was the Kimber Micro with extended magazine. Both are 1911 patterned guns with a wonderful trigger.

More later.

Awesome...... this place near Cincy? I'll have to check it out of we get down that way.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Awesomely awesome Brad. Good to hear ! I'm kinda jealous of that gun shop. We have nothing like that here. At least none that I have ever been to....

Awesome...... this place near Cincy? I'll have to check it out of we get down that way.

Not too far north of cincy. Straight up I71. For me it's all backroads and about 20 miles. I work in cincy and that's 42 miles each way.

If you make it to our area, definitely let me know. I'll meet up with you wherever and if you're interested and have time, we'll do some cooking and you and yours can hang out and have some dinner.

Thank you for the invite. If we make a trip that direction will definately try to make that happen.

My wife is small and she can't handle the BG380 trigger pull at all. It's just too long for her finger length. I don't shoot it all that well, I'll tell you. The 1911 is much easier to control.

Lol, well even my 11 year old knows that a creep free clean breaking 4-1/2 lb trigger pull is better than a squishy long travel suspension kinda sorta breaking around 7 lbs.

lol.... so young... so much striker fired trigger pull hate.... damn you Single Action PISTOLS!!!!

FWIW... when I'm shooting comps and I'm trying to shoot fast.... I have no recollection of ever feeling how the trigger is.

That spans my 1911, Glock, and Shield 9mm

Lol, well even my 11 year old knows that a creep free clean breaking 4-1/2 lb trigger pull is better than a squishy long travel suspension kinda sorta breaking around 7 lbs.
Be a good daddy just order her a nice 9mm Wilson like Water Monkeys and shell be set. Good trgger mild recoil what more could a young lady want ? Besides matching purse and shoes.

Be a good daddy just order her a nice 9mm Wilson like Water Monkeys and shell be set. Good trgger mild recoil what more could a young lady want ? Besides matching purse and shoes.

Get more aggressive grips lol

Starburst are nice and pretty. But I'm thinking I'm going to change those grips to something more aggressive. Gun was moving in my palm more than it really should when doing rapid shooting transitioning on targets. I need another range session to make that determination.

There was a little more to the story, I was out of time earlier.

I mentioned that plush cat she got. Well when she began trying out guns, it was kinda funny, I was gonna hold it but one of the guys there said she could just set it up in a chair or on the table behind us so she set it on the table and turned it so it was facing her. The guys there were awesome and really willing to accommodate in whatever way was needed. Whether me, my daughter, or whoever.

All the feedback I got from her on the triggers came from her without coaching. I only asked if she could reach it with a proper grip which she would answer and then she'd tell me what it felt like (based on a comparison to what she is most familiar with, so it was coming from a perspective of having learned on the SAO Ultra Carry)

The next step is to go back when my wife is able to go too. They rent most of the firearms we checked out including the couple we narrowed down to the favorites. Firearm rental is $10 per half hour and that covers as many firearms as you want to try out in that time frame.

It's good to teach young people proper handling, and how to properly use tools.

Whether it be a shovel, broom, or a firearm.

Life doesn't discriminate.

I don't either.

It's good to teach young people proper handling, and how to properly use tools.

Whether it be a shovel, broom, or a firearm.

Life doesn't discriminate.

I don't either.

I agree, and on that note, they complimented her trigger discipline. She never moved her finger to the trigger without asking. Additionally, she didn't pull the trigger without using a proper grip and looking down the sights having picked out a spot on the wall to aim at. I've told her in the past that whether she's aiming at a point or not, that what I'd most want her to do with dryfire practice is to be able to pull the trigger without the sights moving so she's still working on that.

Back