• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Training class with the SPX

megawatt

.270 WIN
Attending a two day shotgun class and decided to rest the 590A1 and take out the SPX. I will add more to this post as I get time. Today was the first of two days of training and here is what I have so far:

Class size was 28 with four instructors so running two relays it was a 2/7 ratio of instructors to students. Mostly pump guns with about 8 autos in this class, everything from Remy, Mossberg, HK, Benelli, & Winchester. I hate that I have not custom coated my SPX like I do for all my other guns so for now it is just another black gun on the rack.

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

00B pattern work at 7 & 15 yards. I was using cheap Rio Royal low recoil 00B and this was the pattern. Abels ammo had a smoking deal months ago and I paid like .15 cents a shell but the pattern shows it is a value product and not much control of the projectiles. I got a chance to see someone shooting (FFC) Federal Flight Control 00B and that stuff is deadly. The 7 yd shot of FFC had all 9 rounds including the wad centered symmetrically within in a 3" hole. The 15yd shot of FFC was a uniform pattern smaller than my RIO 7 yd shot. If you notice on my 15 yd shot there is not wad impact, that is because it ended up five feet to the left and hit the target in the next shooting lane! If there is a good side I guess it is that at lease only one buck missed the target and hit the white area. Performance has a price for sure; I will try to get pics tomorrow of different ammo patterns if I get a chance.

IMG_2000.jpg

SPX and the type 3 malf -

Short story is if you ever have a type 3 malf you will be better off picking up another weapon to get back in the fight because it takes a lot of work to clear it. Better yet is to set up a type 3 and practice on clearing it because it takes work. If you get into a reason to shoot and have a type 3 you will panic, try it for the first time in the comfort of a safe place and see what I am talking about. Type 3 is a shell still in the barrel (failed to extract) and the bolt tried to load another new shell right behind the old shell.

IMG_2001.jpg

On a SPX the elevator does not go down until the bolt is past the bolt release button, and on a type 3 malf the bolt position is way behind the button so the elevator will not go back down, not even if you push it down with your finger. You have to hold the bolt to the rear and finger out the good shell while the elevator is holding the shell in place. You can not simply hold the bolt back and rotate the gun to the ground for the shell to fall out, it must be fingered out with a lot of effort!

As a comparison a Bennelli, HK, or Beretta auto has a carriage interrupter button or carriage drop button that when pressed will relax the elevator and allow the second shell to fall out, then you just cycle the bolt to extract the shell in the barrel. This is the only scenario I can see where the Italian guns have a one up on the SPX but I still would not change anything about the SPX. Setting up a type 1 or 2 malf is sooooo much easier on the SPX compared to the Italian guns. If you have one to compare you will see but I will not go into the details of why, and just say that it is.

Unlaoding a SPX is better than any other platform I saw out there thanks to the quick empty magazine feature. Works like a charm and so quick and easy to do. All other guns needed a couple fingers in the well to hold back the interrupter then move fingers out of the way to get a shell out. I can see every other manufacture going to this system in the future because it works so well.

I had one FTL but I just re-cocked the charging handle and it chambered quickly. Could of been a damaged shell, I don't know. We went thru so many shells today that I just fixed the issue and kept going. Otherwise it was a good day at the range with the SPX and I am very please with its performance and ease of use. Tomorrow is slug work, more info then and more pics for sure.

Great info. Thanx for that. I'll be checking in again to see how much fun you had.

Looks like the training is paying off already...and a good explaination of the type 3 fail and the way to correct it !!

As you have already found out...the training is only as good as your weapon and chosen ammo...and it sounds like you found out the hard way about the ammo. Always chose your SD / HD / training class ammo as if your life depended on it. Royal Rio is range fodder...not something to rely on when in a classroom enviornment. Lessons learned...move on to tomorrow, and good luck.

+1 rep

SHOOTER13 said:
As you have already found out...the training is only as good as your weapon and chosen ammo...and it sounds like you found out the hard way about the ammo. Always chose your SD / HD / training class ammo as if your life depended on it. Royal Rio is range fodder...not something to rely on when in a classroom enviornment...

I think Rio for the range is excellent stuff especially at $.37 per round. Even 100 rounds of the cheap stuff is going to cost you close to $40. The quality stuff will run about $1.00 each. I was just curious how much a difference between range and SD 00B would be. Whatever anyone chooses to keep for HD they really need to learn the pattern and capabilities of the ammo.

Here is the Federal flight control shells. Head shot is 7yds, body was at 15yds shot from a SPX, both are circled and labeled A. The other holes are from the other shooter using some other ammo, so ignore them.

IMG_2010.jpg

I did find the Estate cartridge HV rifled slugs a very good performer considering its range ammo. Below are pics of my 50yd prone position 3 round grouping fired within 7 seconds. First is the Estate slugs with about a 7" grouping.

IMG_2003.jpg

Then I shot some Federal maximum hi-shock slug
IMG_2008.jpg

50yds grouping was about 1.5"
IMG_2005.jpg

One relay shooting from a position of their choice.
IMG_2004.jpg

Towards the end of the day
IMG_2012.jpg

Today was the last day of my training, back is stiff but shoulder feels great. My SPX did not give me any problems. I think it is a great performer and very happy I have it. I don't think the performance and quality can be beat for the price and even if it was sold for $1000 it would still be a fantastic buy. I still think the single point sling is the way to go compared to a 2 or 3 point, so I continue to use them on the SPX and 590A1.

I will clean the gun soon now that training is over. Round count to date in my one week of ownership is about 400 rounds and will go up with each range day. O yea, a type 3 malf now is down to 5 seconds to see it, recognize it, correct it and shoot it. Of course I will forget most of the training in a week so I will have to keep practicing.

IMG_2013.jpg

Awesome. How much shotgunning did you have under your belt before this class ?

Oh, and just box up those hulls and send then to me :D

Congrats on completion of the course...sounds like time and money well spent !!

oli700 said:
Awesome. How much shotgunning did you have under your belt before this class ?
Trap and skeet less than a year. And a couple trips to the range with the A1, so I would say very much a newby.

oli700 said:
Oh, and just box up those hulls and sind then to me :D
I reload .45ACP & .308 and it was weird to walk away from all that residue that others could of used. :eek:

Cthulhucalling said:
What class was this? Frontsight out of Pahrump?

Corrcto. Less than an hour away from my from door and all my training is free. Can't beat the value. Because of the networking there I have met peter pi the owner of Corbon ammunition. Turns out he Snowbirds here in Vegas.

megawatt said:
Cthulhucalling said:
What class was this? Frontsight out of Pahrump?

Corrcto. Less than an hour away from my from door and all my training is free. Can't beat the value. Because of the networking there I have met peter pi the owner of Corbon ammunition. Turns out he Snowbirds here in Vegas.

At $1000 for a 2-day class, I'd say you got a bargain with getting your training for free. How was the class? I was looking at their website the other day, and it just seemed a little too slick.

I got in on the $250 lifetime membership so now all I do is sign up for a class and show up for free. I will say that Suarez International classes are of a higher quality but at $400 a day for their classes I can only be able to go once in a while.

I liked the SG class better than the handgun, rifle or edge weapons classes I have already taken at frontsight. The class covered various shooting positions, ammo selection, patterning of your shells, tactical & emergency reloading, after action drills, close in shooting. You also end up learning a little about the SG's other students are using because the instructors demonstrate how to operate each model to clear malfs. One evolution is a live fire training where they take one student at a time and walk thru a valley with different elevations where you must determine if the steel and paper targets are friend or foe and then shoot with either 00B or slugs depending on the distances.

They demonstrate first and explain the vocal count they will call when your on the line so everyone does it in unison by the number. This was the kneeling position walk thru.
IMG_2002.jpg

Back