• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trigger Assembly Review

blacksmith

.270 WIN
There seems to be no shortage of confusion in regards to Plastic and Metal Triggers. Today we will address some of the common misconceptions regarding Trigger Assemblies. Illustrations are at the end. Any errors in this post are due to my sheer stupidity and are solely my responsibility.

All Mossbergs, including 590s, have plastic triggers. The sole exception is the "Milspec" M590A1 with its metal trigger, aluminum safety, and heavy barrel. All 500/590 trigger assemblies are compatible within their specific gauge. Even Maverick 88 will interchange, although this is not recommended due to the Safety.

The 'Plastic' trigger assembly is high-strength polymer and the 'Metal' trigger assembly is aluminum, not steel. So what is the difference? In regards to raw strength, very little. Neither one will rust. The aluminum trigger weighs slightly more. The polymer trigger has no finish to wear off and will not feel Cold & Slick. I'm no materials engineer, and I hate Glocks, but Polymer compares favorably to Aluminum.

The Old Timers tell us never to buy Mossberg because the trigger will break. Most of us have never seen a broken trigger. The truth is that 500/590 trigger assemblies do break. Or at least they used to.

In spite of popular theory the trigger guard does not break. The locking lugs sheer off. Mossberg addressed this issue way back in the 1980s. The locking lugs on the trigger assembly were beefed up which required a larger cut in the receiver. This is why late model triggers will not fit old guns.

The aluminum triggers were never beefed up. To this day they're made the way they've always been made.

Another difference is the take-down pin retainer. The polymer triggers have a U-shaped leaf spring that can and have broken. The aluminum triggers use a captured spring-and-ball detent.

The polymer trigger is by no means weak, and may be stronger. But it has a poor pin retainer. And across the board, the aluminum triggers always have a light, tight, and solid trigger pull.

So what is the verdict? If you have a standard 500/590, do not go out and spend big bucks on something that is not an upgrade. If you're lucky enough to have an M590-A1, appreciate the gun for the workhorse that it is. And if your old Mossberg needs a new trigger an Aluminum assembly may be your only option.

Appreciate the insight blacksmith, thanks for posting your descriptions and pics!

Back