• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trying to tweak for accuracy

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Now that I've worked up a few loads that fully function in my blackout, I've been working on trying to find their sweet spot. They're considerably better than the factory ammo that I have used in terms of what I am wanting to do with it.

Long story short, I loaded up a bunch of bullets that I have liked the performance of in order to try to tweak them some for accuracy. Mostly in seating depth. I was also very surprised that one of the loads that I tried had full function and cycling and bolt hold open all the way down to 884 feet per second. I wasn't really expecting that. Though they weren't the most accurate in that bullet weight and why I don't have them shown below. The ones I seated shorter gained some pressure and velocity and grouped better.

I'm not sure why, but the slowest ones with enforcer powder were also louder. Maybe from ejection port noise. I'm really not sure. But the #9 powder sounds better to my ear and have higher velocities too.

And before anyone mentions it, I did adjust my crosshair before I left the range. I just didn't want to change anything in the middle of testing, so now I'm hitting in the bullseye with my loads now.

Anyway, I wanted to share the targets, and velocities and such. They were just shot at 25 yards off a bench/bipod because I didn't really have a lot of time to do the test because it was after 4PM before I even got up there today and was pressed for time to finish before it got dark but should give an idea of what they can do. All were 5 shot groups.

Here are the targets with the best 3 of each bullet weight and seat depth that I have tried so far.

190 gr Nosler
Enforcer powder
I honestly pulled the flyer. I'm not saying it would've been for the better or worse, but I pulled it nonetheless.

blackout tweak 001.jpg

220 gr sierra matchking
#9 powder

blackout tweak 002.jpg

240 gr sierra matchking
#9 powder
blackout tweak 003.jpg
*There were no pressure signs. These worked really good.

Awesomeness , you hunting with it ? what are you resting on ?

I have used a little north of 12g under a 200gr XTP in 10mm......pretty stout I think it was about 1100fps.

I bet you had a bunch of tabs open at the same time. I think this is the topic that you meant to reply to and ask that: http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/loading-40-s-w.16539/

As for the 40 S&W workup, I have some bullets loaded, but I only got the 17# spring I was waiting on Friday. I didn't want to try shooting those through the light 14# spring because I was afraid of battering up the frame or breaking something.

I think the weather is supposed to be really nice Monday and I was going to try to chrony them and see how they shot.

As for hunting with it, there is a mineral lick about 17 yards away from the cabin. I could prop the gun up in the window sill and sit there and wait no problem.

no I meant the 300, I was comparing the powder for fun not the rounds ......wanted to know how you were resting the gun for groups .

Sorry. I'm using a bipod sitting on a little square card table.

These really have some wallop to them. You can hear dirt raining once they hit the mountain backstop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Blob-...b74a0a9643a1ad847c68b3&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&

I have some 155 gr xtps ready for the .40 S&W, that's why I was asking. They are supposed to be 1283 out of a 4 inch barrel.

Mine is a 5 inch, so I'm hoping for a little over 1300 fps with them. I'll be content with 1320. I'll be very satisfied if I get more fps.

Back