• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tulammo .223 question

Has anyone had any issues with this ammo in their AR.
I keep seeing post on this ammo getting stuck in the barrel and whatnot, and on the flip side other ARs will eat it up like candy......
Anybody expierence either or can confirm about the ammo if its safe/good or not?

I have shot 30 rounds of it through my AR and it shot fine. I have shot about 2000 rounds of it from my Mini 14 and had one stuck case but it mortared out no problem.
It was also about the 4th fast 30 round mag then I let the chamber cool a little on a round, pulled the trigger. It fired but didn’t eject. I would not normally shoot it that abusively or get it that hot but I wanted to see what it took to stick.
Not all steel case is created equal, it is only the lacquer coated variety that has the sticking ability and the chamber has to cool a little after it “cooks” the lacquer. I don’t think you can readily stick Teflon coated or the silver looking zink coated steel case either..
The other thing about steel case is extractor wear. If the extractor isn’t hardened properly they could wear the extractor down prematurely…..I have never seen this though.
Steel case ammo is good SHTF ammo and I have a couple thousand stashed between a couple places. It is battle accurate all day and it is disposable as far as reusable resources go, it is one of the reasons I decided to go with the large latch charging handle when I built my AR……much easier to force out problem ammo than the OEM style charging handle

Just wanted your guys input on this as I try to do some homework on what I buy before hand.
Since I can barely find rounds sparingly, I came across these on a site in a Google search and read the reviews on it and then looked more into it and found out about rounds getting stuck in the chamber..... Not a good day and potentially a dangerous situation if true.
Just wanting confirmation if you all have expietenced any similar situations.

I would venture to say it is the most out of spec ammo available commercially, in every caliber they make. I have witnessed two kabooms first hand with Tula ammo and countless rounds stuck in the cambers.

KentuckyWindage said:
I have witnessed two kabooms first hand with Tula .
ouch.....most of all the steel case comes from the same factories in Russia too

I run steel through my AK all day long, but for the reasons detailed above I stay away from it in my ARs...

Not worried about the strength of the chamber.

Only paid $400 for the AK, so I don't have any issues runnin cheap ammo through it. I'm sure steel cased ammo would run fine in my ARs too, I'd just rather not if I have other options...

I use it for plinking. Not for real world precision, because it is only marginally accurate due to being loaded so inconsistently.

I have also seen one of the old lacquer steel wolf get hot enough to melt the lacquer in an AR chamber and need to be popped out with a cleaning rod.

Moral of the story, don't bump fire six 30 round mags as fast as you can and expect not to have a mess to clean up afterwards.

I ran a few boxes thru my AR with no worries. However, that is a steel core bullet so I'm not sure what the long term effects of the barrel will be. I wouldn't make a habit out of shooting it. My AK gobbles it up. But then again, it was designed to.

I've seen a lot of guys ream out the chambers with a 5.56 reamer to resolve a lot of issues with different types of ammo as many chambers are not exactly to spec.

I've shot some Tula ammo but not a lot. It was not the most accurate ammo I've ever shot but I didn't have any issues with it.

Blood_Trail said:
However, that is a steel core bullet so I'm not sure what the long term effects of the barrel will be. I wouldn't make a habit out of shooting it.
I've had a bit of Tula, never had steel core Tula.....if you do its no big deal as its almost all that the military shoots, M855, SS109,M995, through M16/AR15 barrels. They are all jacketed with copper the same so the guts of a bullet doesn't matter.....

oli700 said:
Blood_Trail said:
However, that is a steel core bullet so I'm not sure what the long term effects of the barrel will be. I wouldn't make a habit out of shooting it.
steel core .....They are all jacketed with copper the same so the guts of a bullet doesn't matter.....

^This for the barrel.

Targets are an entirely different story altogether though. Especially steel targets.

John A. said:
oli700 said:
Blood_Trail said:
steel core .....They are all jacketed with copper the same so the guts of a bullet doesn't matter.....

^This for the barrel.

Targets are an entirely different story altogether though. Especially steel targets.

pisses me off when someone sneaks an 855 on my AR500...takes a little chip. Destroys lesser steel real quick.

M855 on AR500 at 50 yards

M855 on T7 at 100 yards......the others are regular FMJ 55g

I've consistantly used WPA (which I'm pretty sure is Tula) steel cased 55 grn hollow points in my stainless BCM barrel and haven't had any issues. I used to have Kel-Tec SU16 (wish I would've kept it... damn thing would be worth twice as much as I paid for it now!) that HATED steel cased ammo... didn't even make it through one magazine!

Back