• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tuning the 590A1 Trigger

blacksmith

.270 WIN
The aluminum trigger of the A1 is the nicest, smoothest trigger available. However the pull is quite heavy. This is due to the fact that this trigger has an extra mainspring - one inside the other. Presumably this was done to insure detonation on hard primers. Removing this spring is an easy task. Not only will this reduce trigger pull but it will also reduce pump effort as well.

Good info, keep us posted if you encounter any issues

Though I was poo poo'd by several I had my A1 trigger polished and tuned up and really appreciated the more consistent pull and break. Look forward to hearing your results

Thx for the advise.. I was wondering how I am going to make the trigger pull lighter.. From the picture it seems that you not putting any pin or Busch back to the trigger case.

Sent from my X1010 using Tapatalk

Has anyone else actually measured the trigger pull weight on their 590A1? Mine started out at 8 lbs. After 300 or so dry fires and 30 live rounds, it has dropped down to 6 lbs. I really don't want it much lighter than that.

Hey Blacksmith,

Any updates on your trigger mod/fix?

I ran across a company called M-CARBO that makes trigger spring kits.
http://www.mcarbo.com/store/p/36-Mossberg-Shotguns-500-/-835-Trigger-Spring-Kit.aspx

I did purchase there kit and installed them, although I didn't measure my Mossbergs tigger pull. What I found is that the A1 trigger housing has the two hammer springs just like you show, but the 835 has only one hammer spring. I'd be interested in what your trigger pull is compared to M-CARBO kit as the kit consists of different trigger spring and hammer spring. On a side note, like you said, I did notice a difference in working the action, more so on the A1, that's a plus.
I still have to get some trigger time at the range with these kits and dump some rounds down range to check for full function.

Thanks,
MOE

I was unaware that there was such a thing as a hard primer in a shotgun round.

<grin>

That being said, I sent this email off a couple days ago and got this response this morning.

Hello,
Can I use your trigger spring kit on a Mossberg 590A1? If not, do you plan on making one in the future?

Thanks,
Regan

Hi Regan,
Thank you for contacting us. Yes the Mossberg 500 kit will work in the 590A.

Your emails are important to me and I will respond as quickly as I can, however, please allow 24-36 hours for me to respond. If you do not receive a response within that time or if it is urgent, please call the office at 888-347-1276.

Respectfully,

Bobby Humphrey
Customer Service Representative
8883471276 Ext. 701 | Email:bobby@mcarbo.com
Combat Veteran Owned & Operated
Shop MCARBO Parts & Accessories Here
4VmhXC6qlKIWn4IyTbkmFw17RfrELf78g7SePnTqTlfa_hHuJIqEqalV8siN5n3rbKSTKw_gFNfv9oC5Ceor4w=s0-d-e1-ft

I've been resurrected, or at least this thread has.

The 590A1 trigger has twin mainsprings which is just too much, and unnecessary to boot. This makes both the trigger pull and pump action hard. In fact we've got a member complaining about it HERE.

Removing the small (inner) spring will turn it into a 500 basically. Easy pull, and no downsides.

Originally I thought the twin springs were to overcome "hard primers". But I'm seeing more problems with the stiff firing pin springs like in this thread.

Maybe the extra power mainsprings are needed just to overcome the firing pin spring!

Last edited:
Back