• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey guns

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum mossyman !!

How about posting a little background on yourself in our New Member Welcome Area...!?

835_500C_zpsemw4lc8s.jpg

My 835 and 500C

Been thinking about an 835. She kinda looks like my 500 20g with that wood set, minus the camo.:rolleyes:

I really like the 835. By simply changing swapping out magazine tubes you have access to all 550A, 590 and 835 components. It's the best of all worlds. IMHO.

I would love to find a 500 or 835 cantelever deer barrel so I can remove the receiver mounted scope and make mine a little more versatile.

I picked up the camo barrel from the 500 via the marketplace of another forum. I'm not afraid of used stuff. LOL

Here's one I'm building. I'm still dealing with the optics. I like the scope option, but safety operation is tough. The red dot is nice, but the 35mm tube and rings force it too high. Going to buy a Mathews adjustable cheek riser and a reflex sight to see which I like better.

I also need to deal with a choke as that is a smooth bore "slug" barrel. I'd like to duplicate my uncle's rig. His has a four inch sleeve in the muzzle that allows him to break stationary clays at 65 yards. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430950044.826660.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430950057.681602.jpg

@RBE17 I'm not familiar with the "sleeve" you mention. I'd be interested in hearing more about it!

I'm using a 500 Persuader 20", which is what my daughter likes shooting, and an 835 20".

The 500 is set up the way I like it, primarily for buckshot, and it patterns well at 40 yards with FliteControl. The pattern for turkey is ok at 25 yards.

image.jpg

The 835 is factory and I'm only just beginning to experiment to find an optimized load/choke combination. I can tell you that a 3" Hornady magnum and factory choke is not optimal. 25 yard pattern has fewer pellets (9 or so) in a 10" circle than the 500.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd like to try a micro red dot on the 835. Redring makes one that mounts to the vent rib but its $$$! Anything any higher than the receiver I think will require a padded riser on the comb. I'd also really like to put a Hogue furniture set on it but that requires the action slide tube.

Rossignol,

Unfortunately, neither he nor I know much about it as his older brother had the gun built in the late 80s. I'm not sure the gunsmith is still in business. I think the barrel was thread and it is a four inch long internal choke. I know nothing of the diameter. Sorry I'm not more help. If I get it figured out ill let you know.

Back