• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Twenty minutes later I have 20+ lbs of FREE lead to cast!PIC

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I got a sand flea rake for Christmas from my wife. How many of you would even have a freekin' clue what a sand flea rake is let alone have a wife that surprises you with one???? :)

Here's what they generally look like. Used in the shallow surf line you can scoop up delectible sand fleas for surf fishing bait for FREE w/o a license. Just pull thru the sand, and let the waves wash out the sand so you are left with decent bait.

sand_flea_rake_lg_2.jpg

So when my bride remembered that I wanted one way back in the summer (when it was too effin' HOT), so that I could strip exposed lead bullets from the hillside berm and get free lead, she was a wonderful wife and when temps were much cooler she hooked me up! :D

I went to an outdoor range, spend maybe 5-10 minutes making a few (4-5) quick uphill pulls, each time letting the dried dirt sift out, and then pouring the wonderful soft pure lead bullets to drop into a box.

Went home, poured it all on the driveway and hosed it down under pressure so that the remaining dirt and gravel washed away. Five minutes, maybe ten minutes TOPS.

There will be at least 20-lbs of pure soft lead after smelting this pile in a pot and pouring the molten galena into some ingots for later bullet/slug pouring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twenty minutes, twenty pounds, all free!

bermine_1st_try.jpg

I'm nitesite, and I approved this message.

Re: Twenty minutes later I have 20+ lbs of FREE lead to cast

What a great idea...where did she get it !?

I think there are some retail mail order businesses in the Carolinas who will ship them without much trouble. The box mine came in was from CPI Designs.

That is an ingenious idea!!!!!!

I hate to ask a stupid question, but will the copper jackets you picked up with the lead cause you problems? Or did you sift those out by hand?

The copper jackets, being much lighter than lead, simply float to the top of the molten silver lake of liquid lead. So does dirt and rocks and whatever else so a slotted stainless steel spoon skims off the dross and I'm left with almost pure molten lead. A final flux with candle wax helps burn off any final impurities and then it's ready to pour into a muffin tin for nice 2-1/2 pound ingots ready for casting!

oli700 said:

Your wheels are spinning right now, aren't dey?

Swaged lead from jacketed bullets is almost pure so this would be perfect lead to grab for your slug operation!

You'll thank me later, my friend....... :cool:

Holy smokes thats awesome! Wives are awesome too and manage to surprise us in the darndest ways sometimes! God bless em!

I love the way you talk... it kinda turns me on when you say stuff like "dross" and "molten galena". :lol:

Rossignol said:
I love the way you talk... it kinda turns me on when you say stuff like "dross" and "molten galena". :lol:

You'd love some of my police reports. I throw twenty-dollar adjectives and verbs in there just to see if anybody catches them.

Like :

swivet (a favorite of mine)

Demonstrable

Moribund

Lachrymose (another fave of mine)

I dropped Sisyphusian in a work status report once to describe how much work I was forced to redo by management decision changes. ;-)

Get one hell of a cat turd with that scooper

Back