• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Two way headset?

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I'm looking for a headset to work in place of a handheld radio. I need something that is not push to talk if that's possible.

I have a set of cobra two way radio walkie-talkies but I need something that isn't going to beep every time we push the talk button. I'm gonna have to look at those and see if I can run our ear buds off those.

Any ideas?

Look at chatterbox. I know family that uses them for snowmobile trips. I've never used them personally, but they seem to like them.

Oh snap! Chatterbox is expensive, lol! Or at least for me right now. You're on the right track though! :)

I think I've found something to work with the Cobra hand helps I have but it would still be push to talk. Amazon has quite a bit available in the $20 price range and some for less.

Ideally I'd like to find voice activated like Internet gaming headsets. I think those would be to expensive for now and for what I need.

I've used handsfree gaming headsets and really prefer push to talk, hands free will activate with any little noise, even breathing hard. I've not tried to use anything like this in the field.

Just tried my ear buds and they're too big. I think the size is 2.5.

Mike good point on the hands free picking up every noise.

Most of the cobra (and other frs/gms radios) are programmable so you can turn off the "roger beep". You just have to see if your mic and radio has VOX (which you probably already know is voice activated mic).

But the thing with vox, you still have to observe the principle that only one of you can speak at a time, and if the sensitivity on the mic is too high, even wind and ambient noise can activate your mic. Which as we both know would "lock" the channel open.

Back