• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unconstitutional? New NY gun laws to apply retroactively

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/01/17/unc ... 079_193095

Glenn took a deeper look at the new gun laws passed in New York this week that are being called “the most restrictive gun control laws in the country”. One of the major components of the new law being that magazines are now limited to holding only seven bullets.

“What’s interesting about this,” Glenn points out, “is that they didn’t include police officers. So, there’s no loophole for police officers.”

“So if your a police officer, you better arrest yourself,” he added.

Another detail now being discovered in this legislation is that it’s retroactive up to one year. Gun owners are not simply grandfathered into these new laws. Essentially, one year from this week, you would have to get rid of all of the magazines you own that hold over seven bullets. If you don’t, you’re breaking the law.

So legally purchased items have now become illegal.

“This is unconstitutional,” Pat said. “Say what you will about it, but it’s flat out unconstitutional.”

“Has there ever been a case of where you purchased something, and it’s now illegal?” Glenn asked.

The only circumstance Stu could think of where law may have been enacted retroactively was car emissions regulations.

Just in case these regulations apply to you, here are the facts we were able to dig up on retroactive (ex post facto) laws in the United States Constitution.

Clause 3 of Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution states that Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws. The states are prohibited in clause 1 of Article 1, Section 10.

This is one of the relatively few restrictions that the United States Constitution made to both the power of the federal and state governments before the Fourteenth Amendment. The case referred to in the rulings of many of these Supreme Court cases is Calder vs. Bull. In the case Justice Samuel Chase held that prohibition applied only to criminal matters, not civil. Four categories of unconstitutional ex post facto laws were established.

There have been cases where retroactive laws have not been held unconstitutional. These include restrictions on convicted sex offenders and sex offender registration. A domestic violence offender gun ban was held up, where firearm prohibitions were imposed on people who have been convicted of misdemeanor domestic-violence offenses and on subjects of restraining orders. Retroactive taxes are also not considered ex post facto laws.

So, while there does seem to be some disparity around regulations and retroactive law, it would appear that if you don’t have a criminal background, laws that make something you own illegal when it was purchased legally are unconstitutional.

And they should be. As Stu points out, responsible, law-abiding gun owners are some of the most serious about gun crime. They want people to abide by the law.

“The most serious people on gun safety, and the people most serious about punishing offenders [of gun crime] are the people that I know in the N.R.A.,” Glenn added.

Glenn noted the biggest applause lines he gets when giving speeches at the N.R.A. are when he discusses punishing and stopping offenders of gun crime.

“They’re responsible with their guns. They know the meaning of a gun. And yet, they’re made to look like the monsters,” Glenn said.

The people the laws would target — especially retroactive laws — are not criminals. They’re not the people committing gun crimes. They’re responsible law-abiding citizens that have followed all of the laws.

Despite the unconstitutionality of the new laws, there’s another issue. Nobody knows how many magazines a person has.

“Do you announce what magazines you have? Do you just destroy the magazines that you have?” Glenn asked.

It’s hard to believe that responsible gun owners will be reporting and handing over magazines they purchased legally. There is no reason to turn a law-abiding citizen into a criminal or to make them feel like a criminal. Like you’ll see in the video below, there are legitimate reasons that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to see eye-to-eye on when it comes to gun-ownership and the rights of law-abiding American citizens.

Dan I disagree with the 7 round magazine understanding.

Anything over 10 has to leave the state.

A magazine that holds a max of 10 rounds purchased up to April 15, 2013 can be retained so long as you only load 7 in the magazine.

Dan, anymore, criminals are afforded more protection under the law than the lawful. The lawful bear the burden of legislation.

Water Monkey said:
A magazine that holds a max of 10 rounds purchased up to April 15, 2013 can be retained so long as you only load 7 in the magazine.

:lol: and who is going to stop anyone from loading the extra 3? Especially the criminals! Stupid rule/law... Really stupid.

Itsricmo said:
Water Monkey said:

:lol: and who is going to stop anyone from loading the extra 3? Especially the criminals! Stupid rule/law... Really stupid.

Bro it's full retard.

I'd tell you the penalties for being caught with a magazine with more than 7 rounds but less than 10 but blood would shoot out of your nose. And it is different if you are caught inside your house vs outside your house.

And after 1/15/14 if you have a mag that accepts more than 10 rounds and are caught.... :eek:

BUT if you have a mag that can hold max 10 you can load it up to 10 rounds only at ranges, training programs for firearms, and competitions......

God forbid you need more than 10 rounds to save your life or the lives of others..... yep gonna need an amendment to it anyway cause after April 15 the Police HAVE to comply with the 7 round limit cause the bill was so rushed there wasn't an exclusion provision for them.

Welcome to the civies Mr. LEO.... yeah life does suck with 7 rounds dont it!

The ironic part is, Albany was in such a hurry to get this thru tha they forget one minor detail. Law enforcement officers are NOT escempt from the signed law. Cuomo has verbally said they are excempt, but since there is nothing in writing the law is the law. They are now tap dancing that and looking to make retired law enforcement officer excempt as well. Hopefully, he has taken himself out of any future run for the White House because he is damn sure taking the rights from the folks who go by the rules here in New York.

Legally purchased items have now become illegal. This is unconstitutional and should already be in front of the courts! Cuomo is a buffoon and has stepped on his J-bar!!

“This is unconstitutional,” Pat said. “Say what you will about it, but it’s flat out unconstitutional.”

“Has there ever been a case of where you purchased something, and it’s now illegal?” Glenn asked.

Did citizens line up to turn in their Corvairs? *SHEESH*

mingaa said:

Actually, from 1920 to 1933, alcoholic drinks were outlawed by the 18th amendment to the Constitution, and while the 18th amendment still exists in writing and historical documents, was ratified by the 21st amendment that basically repealed it.

18th Amendment
Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.
Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

21st Amendment
Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.
Section 2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

With that said, I cannot think of ANYTHING that has been gauranteed by the Constitution that has been restricted in the same manner as they are trying to skirt the 2nd Amendment.

1st Amendment
illegal to yell "fire" in a public place, or place threats against another

2nd Amendment
Too many infringements to adequately and accurately list

3rd Amendment
Besides during the civil war, I cannot think of a time when it has been an issue

4th Amendment
Is increasingly being infringed and broken almost routinely. Gibson Musical Instruments have had no knock raids on more than one occasion. As have many, many, many, many, many others.

5th amendment
Is increasingly being infringed in the last 12-15 years, especially after the Patriot Act

6th Amendment
Again, as the 5th amendment, the 6th amendment has also been infringed, again, in large part thanks due to the Patriot Act.

7th Amendment
I cannot think of anytime that this has been infringed

8th amendment
Infringed daily across the whole country. I can think of numerous times when a bail is intentionally set too high just to keep the individual in jail until the trial.

9th amendment
I simply do not know enough about the 9th amendment to make an educated jab at it.

10th amendment
Is violated daily, and in so many ways that I don't know where I would start, or end

Water Monkey said:
Dan I disagree with the 7 round magazine understanding.

Anything over 10 has to leave the state.

I agree with you; I simply reposted this article for discussion...

Water Monkey said:
...blood would shoot out of your nose...

haha wow... I knew it was bad but not THAT bad! Nothing should surprise me anymore. Are they going to start having firing lines if you are caught or something?!!?

mingaa said:
No one was stupid enough to try prohibition a second time, eh!?

I actually have some level of respect (while disagreeing with) prohibitionists. They at least had the respect for our founding document to understand that it would require amending it to pull off prohibition. Now congress just passes laws without regard for the document that gives them a job. The drug war, PATRIOT Act, NDAA, authorization for the use of force (instead of a declaration of war), gun regulations, and the list goes on…

Back