• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Understanding MOA

If you want to see an excellent video series, check out tiberious' sniper 101 youtube channel. They are broken down into about 80 individual sets.

I carry personalized ballistic charts when hunting. Sight in at 100 yds and use the manufacturer's data--more of a hold-over chart than anything. I would also sight for a 200 yd zero on a 100 yd range by hitting high. Using the MOA to make adjustments is another way. If you have a sight that already has the MOA marks on the reticle it would be easy. But calculating and making the adjustments when in a hunting environment with moving animals isn't always efficient unless you have a quality scope with external markings. It is good to know, though. Especially when sighting in.

I don't usually shoot far enough away to need to know the holdover for extremely long shots, though, I am going to carry a drop chart for the Fal just so I could reach out more than it's zero'd for if I ever were to need it.

The Redfield scope reticle itself has 2" hash marks, and 20" between the cross hairs and the bottom of the reticle piece, so I should be able to get out to no less than 350 yards with no adjustments to the scope at all using nothing more than the reticle. At least as far as drop is concerned.

Excellent. Some good info to delve into.

I have a Nikon p223 coming in with a bdc reticle for the drop in the .223 Remmington 55gr out to 600 yards. I'll be able to test it out to 300 yards around here

18.5" is more than adequate for all practical purposes at 350+

WM make sure to let us know what you think. really been thinking about one for my AR

almost all scopes ive dealt with are 1/4 inch at 100 yards. so 1 inch at 400. which would be 1/4 MOA makes the math pretty simple. 1/4 inch at 100, 1/2 inch at 200, 3/4 inch at 300 1 inch at 400 per click is a little easier for me to figure in my head, than the way he was explainig with division and everything.

Last edited:
No prob. Won't be till June or July. Work has me by the yams. Wife too. Don't mind when the wife grabs the yams though lol

mother of troy…. I made the mistake of jumping to the long range scope section in that sniper series…. wow. My head hurts. That's some serious info right there on how much you need to consider to hit something at 1,000+ yards. Angle of the shot, humidity, heat, rotation of the earth relative to the direction of your shot…. wow.

^ Those factors will affect shot placement with a .223 at distances much closer than 1000yd.

Out to 300yd the .223 is pretty controllable, but once you get out to around 500yd the factors listed above all need to be working in your favor to manage tight groups. Wind will be your worst enemy with a .223 at longer distances. Even the heavier .223 projectiles can destabilize when approaching 500yd which can produce some pretty inconsistent shot placement. Your most valuable tool will be a shot log. Record everything, wind speed & direction, temp, humidity, ammo, what you had for breakfast that morning, it'll all make a difference. Collecting shot data for reference will be invaluable in helping you understand how your rifle behaves in varying conditions...

So let's reach out and touch someone what is everyone using for those long shots me not looking for 1000+ love my lee Enfield still amazed what I can hit with iron flip site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hate you guys…. I've been hooked on this sniper 101 series. Such a high level discussion brought to you in layman's terms and the history behind it….. I'm hooked.

what is everyone using for those long shots

For shoot'n out to 300yd it's .223 carbines w/irons or red dots, pretty much anything goes.

If I want tiny groups at 300yd, it's my .223 Remy 700 or Mk12 SPR. For precision out to 500yd it's my .308 Remy 700...

Back