• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Understanding Shotgun Chokes

thats right , a 410, still should be the same. Rifled Fosters were made for any choke up to full, beyond that I dont know because I have never even heard of extra full or whatever it’s called. I wouldn’t give it a second thought. If you feel unsure take the first shot show her its ok.....if the barrel splits it will make a cool story at least.....lol.

Alright be lookin for pics of a split barrel and a hospital stay. I'll try to find them in 2 1/2" shells.

Here comes the,
Boom.

This chart will give an idea of what choke to use at what yardage for sporting clays... with the caveat that ammo, intended target, angle of presentation ( front, back, side ) also weigh in on the equation...

=========================================================

vxGOShG.jpg

Red - Pattern too small | Yellow - small but usable | Green - Optimal Pattern

==============================================

Choke Tube Selection:

Choke tube selection is a confusing issue amongst a lot of shotgunners but one that is easily explained.

The real reason you want the right choke is to be able to place at least 70% of the shot in a 30" circle at 40 yards... the minimum / maximum pattern kill zone... meaning the pattern will cleanly kill anything in this circular zone.

Selecting the correct choke tube is nothing more than moving that same exact pattern to different yardages. In other words... if you want to shoot at a target 20 yards away then select a choke tube that gives you 70% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 20 yards...same if shooting at a target that is 45 yards away, select a choke tube that will give you 70% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 45 yards.

Extra Full Choke: ...................delivers a 70% pattern at 45 Yards.
Full Choke: ............................delivers a 70% pattern at 40 yards.
Modified Choke: ....................delivers a 70% pattern at 35 yards.
Improved Cylinder Choke: ....delivers a 70% pattern at 30 yards.
Cylinder Choke: ....................delivers a 70% pattern at 25 Yards.

============================================

Thanks Dave !!

I was doing research anyway and figured I would share the wealth of information I found with everyone across the boards...

Shooter
FANTASTIC job!
This thread is very informative!
It took me quite a long time to firgure all this out reading tons of post on Shotguworld for a few years.

This should be sticky'd to the top of ths section.
Everyone that starts out shooting shotguns should,have this info available to them.

GREAT JOB!

Shotgun Chokes Constriction Diameter

Shooter13,

Great post and very informative. ;)

What are the Mossberg Accu-Choke Tubes official Diameters?

Example would be Carlson's, but these would or may be slightly different.
Item # Constriction Diameter
12217 Cylinder .730
12211 Skeet .725
12212 Improved Cylinder .720
12213 Modified .710
12214 Improved Modified .705
12215 Full .700
12216 Extra-Full* .690
19891 Turkey* .680

This is only my 3rd post and I'm blown away at all the great info. I also have been wanting a more fluid view of chokes and this answered all of my questions. Thanks folks!

Here's a shot sequence that shows how the shot cluster develops after leaving the barrel. This is a 12 gauge shell using a shotcup, and pics are a series of individual 1/1,000,000 second exposures showing shotgun firing shot & wad/cup separation. Distance covered is about 6 ft.

shotgun-shot-seq-1g.jpg

There's stuff in here I've not seen before, some pretty cool stuff in fact, thanks!

Back