• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unidentified Antique Telescope

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
In 1967 my dad picked up this '53 Pontiac from a local car lot for $35. He got it for half price because the primary wiring shorted out & caught fire during the test drive. Hah! Dad taught me to fix TVs when I was a boy, and I rewired that car for him at the age of 13.

He had a plan. He was gonna drive the Pontiac to work while we stuffed a Ford V8 into his 4 cyl Scout. I was going to inherit the Pontiac when I turned 18. The USAF had other ideas for our time and none of that happened. We sold the Pontiac off for $50 after I dug it out of a snow bank.

Anyhow, along with the car, I gained a small wooden tool tray & a few old tools, plus this solid brass telescope from the turn of the last century. The one guy I asked for an appraisal (in '83) claimed it to be "A small hunter's telescope of late 1800's to early 1900's manufacture." and claimed it to be worth about $75 in '83. I's about 8.5" closed and 21.5" open. The objective lens is 34mm.

8 in.jpg

22 in.jpg

OK, folks, I'm going to strip a century old relic and clean the lenses.
diss 5.jpg

diss3.jpg

diss2.jpg

It has 5 lenses and the 5th is in the 1st tube.
lens5.jpg

You can pull it out by way of this tiny half-moon notch, but I did not.
halfmoon.jpg

I also did not remove the end caps from the main tube. It is unnecessary, and the condition of the main tube and its threads is not great. In fact I took this scope apart when I was 13 to clean the lenses, and had to re-fit some stripped threads on the main tube "thimble."

To celebrate a successful assembly, something from the angry Orchard.

angry o.jpg

:D

Back