• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

universal powder with #4 buck

rdm76mav88

20g
"Philanthropist"
Getting ready to reload some hulls ,I have universal powder,209 primers, AA12r wads plan is to load #4 the bottle says 19.2 gr. Is that enough for 27 pellets of #4? Thanks in advance I'm loading some shells for friends so I want to make 'em right!

a mixture of federal, winchester, and remington. I got a few hundred once fired AA's for myself

Each type will have different charges for the same powder. I don't have any for #4/universal data but he data I do have for universal makes me want to say the bottle load is on the weak side....but it's on the bottle so go for it, stick to the components they suggest.....not much forgiveness in shotshell reloading

I did a google search and found a recepie that said 30.5 grains wasnt sure if I should stray from the bottle?

For the weight I am seeing in the mid to high 20's....depends how serious you are about working out a good load.....quite the spread in grains from the bottle and what you found.

I read as long as I stay within the ounce to ounce in a quarter with my shot it didnt matter what it was filled with I wanted these loads to come out right I know I'm going to have to mess with it a bit....thanks so far oli!

I'm going to keep looking around and post what I find!

Last edited:
That is somewhat true however shot is more forgiving than slug and real big pellets somewhere in between.
If you are loading on the edge of max it can lead to overpressure , it's worse in a shotgun though, no real chamber strength and no real hull strength . Reading overpressure signs in shotshell reloading is harder than metallic reloading and the the window for to play with hot loads is a lot smaller than metallic

If you are well with in middle to low ground on the recommended charge range For the desired payload weight then I would be cool with lead in any form

If you are well with in middle to low ground on the recommended charge range For the desired payload weight then I would be cool with lead in any form

Listen to oli700, who is a very experienced shotgun ammo reloader.

If oli suggests a powder charge with a given hull and primer and wad I would run with it.

Yup... And shooting two Blue Dot slug shells over a chronograph had a 1-fps velocity spread. It was awesome.

Just found another one that looks promising....1 ounce shot ,21.0 gr. 9,500 psi., 1,250 fps. from hogdons website

That sound like a good starter.....depends on what the end user is looking for

That's the beauty of reloading, Taylor made ammo

Back