• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Updating my Mossberg

MeatBag

Copper BB
I decided to fix up the old Mossberg 500 my brother gave me a few years ago.

Here's how it turned out:

-Changed to a bantam stock because the LOP on the standard one is too long for me
-Single point sling mount
-Tac Star side saddle
-Brownells Mossberg 500 "high capacity" shotgun kit. I love this kit, if it was 18" instead of 20" with 1 shell capacity less, it would have been perfect. I wanted rifle sights because I intend to do more slug shooting.
-Surefire 623LM I never thought I'd buy one of these, because they're pretty expensive. But since the gun was free, I didn't feel too bad putting a little more money into it than I normally would. I love the ergos and function of it.

So far I think I'm the only person in the world that likes the look of the combination of the wood stock and synthetic forend on the same gun. :(

100_0981_zps16039c4e.jpg

100_0980_zpsf374543a.jpg

100_0984_zps55119d45.jpg

100_0973_zps8cee33d3.jpg

Nice SG. Still running the stock recoil pad? Mine turned to stone so off it came and a Limbsaver went on in its place.

Great Looking Shotty! Those Surefire Forends are slick and work really well!
How do you like the "High Capacity Kit"??? I'm loving mine!

Dude, I'm totally digging the mix match of it all! And every time I see the rifle sighted barrels I want one! She looks awesome, great job!

Itsricmo said:

Yeah it's great. Originally I was just going to get a 18.5" security barrel, but I found this kit for only a little bit more and had to get it. At it's price, it's really a killer deal.

MeatBag said:
Itsricmo said:

Yeah it's great. Originally I was just going to get a 18.5" security barrel, but I found this kit for only a little bit more and had to get it. At it's price, it's really a killer deal.

I bought my kit from Mossberg directly, because Brownells was back-ordered, but anyhow... It's awesome! No doubting that! The extra capacity really doesn't weigh that much more and it doesn't make the shotty that much longer (1.5" lol)

There's nothing wrong with mixing wood with plastic it it's a matter of function over form. Like our local backpack manufacturer says... "gear... not art"

Before anyone starts using that phrase be advised that I believe it's trademarked (by Mystery Ranch).

I bought a walnut youth stock from Brownells for mine. I didn't like the gap created behind the trigger guard when using a rear sling plate so I re-inletted the wood to the plate at the wrist end. This did 2 things... one, it eliminated the gap... and two, it moved the grip closer to the trigger and safety making them easier to reach. After installing a grind-to-fit recoil pad the length of pull came out to 13 1/2", which is about perfect. This was something not easily accomplished with synthetic stocks.

I started making a walnut forend for it out of a piece of scrap wood I had around, but it split on me. My original plan was to have two complete forend assemblies... one in walnut and the other a Surefire weapon light. This way I could have switched between them without having to disassemble the forend assembly. That didn't work out as intended, so mine will end up looking a lot like yours when it's done.

sorry to hear the wood split. i would have liked to see a home made forend. :)
,,,,,don't forget the pics of the finished product. :)

Back