• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Use of reloaded ammo for self protection

I use either a Mossberg 500A or a older Remington 870 to hunt with. I leave the gun loaded in a corner by my headboard. The load is two .620" round balls which is deadly on deer or hogs. Now the question: If I should grab the gun, shoots someone (with the reload deer/hog rounds) who breaks into the house and it kills them. Can the court do anything to me, if the shooting is ruled justified, for using the reloaded rounds I used?

While I only play a lawyer on TV, I don't think a load consisting of two 1/2 slugs would matter to a court assuming both a slug and buckshot are legal in your state. Now if you were using Dragon's Breath or exploding rounds there might be a question or two not to mention you would burn your house down... :D

NO.

I've been a shooter for over 40 years. I've been a cop (now retired), I have been a reloader of shotgun, handgun and rifle.

And I have carried my own reloaded ammunition in several rifles and handguns. Some of it was even carried on duty as a cop, because I opted for carrying non-issued guns, so I had to provide my own ammo.

I made 5.56mm all copper barrier blind ammo that you just couldn't easily purchase.

My J-frame off-duty/backup had my handholds with 170-gr cast LSWCs doing 725-fps.

SO I have absolutely NO hesitation in carrying ammo made by me.

Am I supposed to accept a knife's factory sharpening job, or can I improve on it and make it more effective? Same thing.

with the ammo situation I imagine soon people will be converting shotguns to blunderbuss and defending themselves with a barrel full of drywall screws

Good question, I don't think it makes a difference but I know someone to ask. Locally we have a 2A attorney (damn good one) on 93.1fm Saturdays 5-7pm(if not preempted by IU football) if he's on next week I'll call and ask. Otherwise I'll check with my friend with over 20yrs as a LEO and detective.

I'm ok with using any weapon or ammunition at my disposal to protect myself and my family.

Be it spears, tomahawks, firearms, kitchen knives, table chairs, fists, feet, what-nots, even the fancy towels in the bathroom that my wife doesn't want anyone to use. Or even my good liquor bottles.

I'm ok with using any weapon or ammunition at my disposal to protect myself and my family.

I've often thought of this in the shop if someone were to walk in with a bad attitude. The number of potential weapons lying out and about (besides the pistol in the toolbox or shotty in the office) is mind-boggling and only limited by my imagination--busy hands make for a wandering mind... :D I could whip a solid cube of brass at a perp guaranteed to leave a mark. :D Who needs pepper spray when I have a can of (red) Brakleen that will shoot just as far but blind and gag even more effectively. ;) Hammers and wrenches and utility knives and so on.

Once apprehended and secured, I could certainly interrogate with methods potentially more "effective" than water-boarding but I haven't been able to find any volunteers to try them on. ;) Let's just say I have welders and powertools... :D

^Pretty much this.

I never signed the Geneva Convention Treaty or 1990 weapons accord or anything of the sorts.

This is why I've made it so hard for anyone to break into my house. It's for their protection, not mine.

In the state of IN if you are legal in killing someone in self-defense(as long as it is reasonable), how you do it is of no matter. IE, booby traps, small nuclear devices otherwise its all good, Man I love the state I call home!!

Back