• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vang Comp Ghost Ring Sights

Donster 125

Copper BB
Hello everyone, glad to be part of your forum. I figured this was the go-to place to ask any Mossberg related questions!

Just had my gunsmith install a VC Ghost ring rear sight with attached pica tinny rail. Sight's look good and feel solid. Prior to having them installed, I emailed VC about compatibility with a Mossberg 590A1 already installed with factory ghost ring sights. I completely forgot about my email once my gunsmith said that they were compatible.

Today, I received an email from VC saying that the rear sight setup IS compatible with a Mossberg 590A1 receiver, but it won't work as a sight system because the factory front sight ramp is too tall. I was told that the factory front (.350") should be replaced with a shorter sight (.250').

This didn't make much sense to me, but I thought I would put it out here for more knowledgeable people than myself to answer.

Would the installed rear sight work in conjunction with the factory front sight ramp?

For point of reference, the shotgun that I bought:

51518-media.jpg

And the rear sight that I bought and had installed that is calling my purchase into question:

p_100003640_3.jpg

Would these two be able to work in conjunction together? Does anyone else here have this setup?

Also, while in my LGS, i handled the same model of shotgun that i bought (before installing the VC rear sight) and the sight picture is virtually identical. Even the employees thought so. So I'm pretty confused as to everything.

P.S.: I initially was going to purchase the Aimpro Tactical Ghost Ring Rear but it is ITAR controlled and wasn't an option for me. That being said, the Aimpro model, other than being drilled and tapped specifically for a Mossberg receiver, appears to be at a similar height setup to the VC system. This is only adding to my confusion when I was told that the VC rear sight wouldn't work with the factory front sight.

TL;DR: will the vang comp rear sight work with the Mossberg factory front sight?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Donster !!

Not sure about your intended setup...but if Vang Comp said the above, I would TRUST that information.

Welcome from MI!!

If the front ramp is too tall you will run out of adjustment in the rear sight before you ever get it on paper or near the bullseye.

Think of the whole thing as a triangle where the two long sides need to meet up at the target. If the front ramp is too high you will end up with a rectangle as the sight plane and the bullets flight path will never meet (top part of top picture below).

Hopefully the images below will help describe what I am saying.

sightplane.jpg
sight plane.gif

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Donster !!

Not sure about your intended setup...but if Vang Comp said the above, I would TRUST that information.

Thank you for the reply! That makes sense, but I guess I'm more curious as to why it won't work. By all accounts it appears that it should.

My guess would be that the VC rear sight sits lower than the factory sight.

It doesn't hurt to try it if that will resolve any doubt in your mind, but the Vang Comp guys seem to know their stuff.

Welcome from MI!!

If the front ramp is too tall you will run out of adjustment in the rear sight before you ever get it on paper or near the bullseye.

Think of the whole thing as a triangle where the two long sides need to meet up at the target. If the front ramp is too high you will end up with a rectangle as the sight plane and the bullets flight path will never meet (top part of top picture below).

Hopefully the images below will help describe what I am saying.

View attachment 8458
View attachment 8459

That makes perfect sense. I think my confusion comes from the fact that the height of the VC rear sight appear virtually identical to the height of the factory Mossberg one.

You can try to measure it or more directly, if you already have the sight installed just take it to the range. That obviously will be the funnest way to test it. :-D

You can try to measure it or more directly, if you already have the sight installed just take it to the range. That obviously will be the funnest way to test it. :-D

I definitely agree! I just bought 80 slugs, so I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thank you all for the replies and for welcoming me to your forum!

EDIT: forgot to add, won't be able to hit the range for a while. will let you all know once i get there.

Last edited:
Quick update. Have still not been able to hit the range as of yet. However, I was curious if some of you might be able to help me verify some numbers. With my own measurements, I found that the front sight base + ramp is .875" tall. Though my ruler is old school and I don't particularly trust it.

However, according to this, it would work out to be closer to .769"
Mossberg_Ghost_Ring_Sight_Kit_95300.jpg

Is anyone able to confirm the total front sight height of the ramp and base?

EDIT: Just so no one thinks I'm lazy, I did call and email Mossberg and was told that they don't have that information on file.

Last edited:
Love to help but amazingly I don't own any shotguns with GRS......as much as I love them when I do shoot them......and the Vang sights are the ones I would get, love their set up, love everything they do in fact

Love to help but amazingly I don't own any shotguns with GRS......as much as I love them when I do shoot them......and the Vang sights are the ones I would get, love their set up, love everything they do in fact

No worries! Hopefully someone with the same sights has the answer I'm looking for :)

How would you guys compare the VCS sights to the LPA sites of the 590A1 SPX?

The VCS sites installed are freakin' serious $$$$$

How would you guys compare the VCS sights to the LPA sites of the 590A1 SPX?

The VCS sites installed are freakin' serious $$$$$

I've used both and they are both comparable. I find the rear ring to be "thinner" on the VCS, but that might just be my imagination. Part of the initial reason I went with the VCS was because of its similarity with the LPA on my older 590A1 SPX.

I've used both and they are both comparable. I find the rear ring to be "thinner" on the VCS, but that might just be my imagination. Part of the initial reason I went with the VCS was because of its similarity with the LPA on my older 590A1 SPX.
Thanx!

Reason I ask is that I was wanting an 590A1 SPX and having a VCS barrel upgrade done on it. Then I looked at maybe just getting a 20" Bead site 590A1 and having Vang do the sites and the barrel, but the site cost seemed over the moon compared to the relative deal of getting the LPA sites on the SPX. So my thinking is to still get the SPX and later get the barrel done.

A quick update: shot my shotgun today. no issues. went through 80 slugs (offhand) and have it the gun sighted in at 25-30 yards. I will refine it some more next time i go out, but so far, it seems like it is pretty dead on. Sight set-up appears to work fine and well! Will update if there are any issues, but other than one last sight-in (always have a second person shoot my rifles to verify), I don't think there will be any issues with my setup.

A quick update: shot my shotgun today. no issues. went through 80 slugs (offhand) and have it the gun sighted in at 25-30 yards. I will refine it some more next time i go out, but so far, it seems like it is pretty dead on. Sight set-up appears to work fine and well! Will update if there are any issues, but other than one last sight-in (always have a second person shoot my rifles to verify), I don't think there will be any issues with my setup.

Glad that things went well for you! Enjoy that shotgun!

Back