• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Variable Eye Dominence Woes

hondo

I have a vision problem not admitted to very often. With Google searching I've found numerous references to cross eye dominance but very little addressing variable eye dominance. I've found references to causes such as tiredness, illness, stress etc. but few aids to minimize if not eliminate the resulting bad results when say, shooting Skeet.
When doing shotgun mounting practice with a Champion fiber optic sight equipped 500 and 935, 7/10 times I'm seeing the green dot in the pipe but 3/10 times I'm seeing the left side of the sight and barrel tip. Needless to say, coupled with poor technique I'm doomed to low bird hits.
Searching for relief I've thus far found three "fixes", one of which previously mentioned, Champion, helps some. What seemed to help the most was a 6" S/S pocket rule double sided taped to the left side of 500's rib adjacent to the front sight bead. I found one reference to this Band-Aid through searching online. Temporary of course but it was blown loose by the gases exiting the factory ports. Drilled, tapped and screwed to the rib supports still adjacent to the rib would be perfect and secure. This same writer mentioned that perhaps K&S brass angle on top of the rib would work also.
Then last night I saw an advertisement for a device that clamps to the trigger guard and holds a piece of plastic up as a blinder. Might work for some like the tape/Vaseline/hair gel/spots on the glasses lens of the offending eye. I would snag that in a heart beat.
Me, I don't want to restrict my peripheral vision nor depth perception either so I'm going to experiment with the rib flat stock vs. brass angle fix to find the optimal length and placement. Luckily these fixes can be taped to the weapon and moved easily to check effectiveness before permanently mounting one of them.

I have a similar issue along with others affecting the eyes. I'm about to go trap shooting for the first time, and I normally shoot with both eyes open, but I'm poor with open sights.

On a shotgun I have no clue what will happen. No scope.
I only know how to shoot well with a scope.

The little attachment device sounds interesting.

BTW I've been thinking a scope would look stupid on my .30-30 lever gun, but a peep-sight might do the trick there.

Could a peep sight be useful on shotgun?

I have that issue from time to time shooting my target bow. Since I wear glasses the easiest "fix" was a piece of tape over the non-aiming lens. Not the whole lens, just the portion that the target would line up with. This allows me to see everything outside of the blocked area and keeps my peripheral vision intact. I picked up a pack of the colored dots for Office Depot (used to mark papers, etc) and they work well and don't adhere permanently. Also helps with my cross-eye dominance when shooting a shotgun (lefty with dominant right eye).

I went duck hunting last week with one of my son-in-laws and his father who is right handed but left eye dominant. He was not able to learn shooting left handed so I asked him how he has adapted. He simply attempts to squint his left eye when he is ready to shoot.
I've found some 3/8" leg brass angle and will order the minimum amount they'll ship today. What I want to experiment with is minimum length and placement. I'm already convinced that 6" long at the muzzle works with the factory bead.

I went and had a private instruction and fitting session a week ago this past Tuesday at the Indiana Gun Club. Verdict, my 500 fits fine, my 935 needs the stock shimmed up raising my line of sight along the rib. He tried putting tape on my left glasses lens to prevent eye dominance issues, didn't help but he identified some major problems with my mounting and shooting technique. Now I need to practice, practice, practice and return for follow-up lessons.

Well, the Champion sights are plastic held on by tape. After a couple of range sessions with both shotguns being transported in soft cases the sights on both shotguns have shifted, instead of being aligned with the rib they are canted with the muzzle end shifted to the right. Since they are plastic they offered minimal resistance to pressure from the foam cushion of the case and shifted. The double sided tape is still stuck tight so when I apply finger pressure I can re-align the sight but it returns to misalignment, grrr. Monday I'm removing them, temporarily returning to the factory bead. I've also received a product from Meadow Industries LLC called, "Sight Blinder". It's a short, steel, 3-7/16" long piece of unequal right angle, base 5/16", upright 1/4". It's held on with tape also, so, after discovering the most beneficial placement position I'm going to screw it down to the rib. See my first post in this thread regarding using a 6" rule. I feel strongly enough about the benefits of this device that I have one for both 500 barrels and one for the 935. At some point I'll revisit fiber optics, but not green!

I have that issue from time to time shooting my target bow. Since I wear glasses the easiest "fix" was a piece of tape over the non-aiming lens. Not the whole lens, just the portion that the target would line up with. This allows me to see everything outside of the blocked area and keeps my peripheral vision intact. I picked up a pack of the colored dots for Office Depot (used to mark papers, etc) and they work well and don't adhere permanently. Also helps with my cross-eye dominance when shooting a shotgun (lefty with dominant right eye).

+1 for this... i'm a righty with a dominant left eye, so theoretically should shoot left handed. I've tried it but it just feels so wrong!!

When I was shooting precision pistol, i used the same technique as OA, and put a piece of tape over the left lens of my shooting glasses. I found the opaque dressing tape best, as it still let light through but obscured the sights and target.
When shooting pistol in a 2 handed stance, i just move the gun a bit further across my body to the left and use my left eye..
Rifles, either open sights or scope, and on the rare occasions i use a shotgun, I just close my left eye.

I'm having this problem worse and worse, as my two eyes get farther apart in acuity.

I've never been skeet shooting before but I now have a double-barreled shotgun I am dying to try out and our rifle Club has a brand new shotgun range.

My best shooting is all done with a high-powered scope and iron sights are the devil for me. I do like the Williams day glow fiber optic sights, and I do a little better with them.

All my shotgun has is a single brass bead.

I've shot rifles and handguns with both eyes open and one eye closed, and I typically do better with one eye closed.

I suspect that the shotgun will be the same for me, one eye shut and my depth perception will be gone.

It'll be an absolute miracle if I can hit clay pigeons.

Back