• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wanting to do some bullet testing

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I am on the search for the "better" HD bullet to use with my suppressed blackout rig.

I am wanting to see how 220 gr Sierra Matchkings perform (penetration and expansion) and I am going to test the Leatherhead cast/coated 223 grain bullets to see which are the better performer.

I had considered shooting them in a big row of water filled milk jugs, but I am also thinking of shooting both into a long wet stack of catalogs and magazines.

Which do you guys think would be the better option to use as the bullet stop?

The magazines would be easier so I don't have to save up 10 or so empty milk jugs. But I don't mind if you guys think it would be better for testing.

I have a ton of old computer paper, 8 1/2 X 11. I'll take a stack a foot thick and soak it in a five gallon bucket of water until it is completely saturated. I'll then take it out of the bucket and tape a piece of cardboard front and back, making sure to wrap tape completely around the paper. I'll then fill gallon plastic jugs full of water and I'm set to go to the range. Shoot through the jug into the paper bundle, works great! Bullets are very easy to retrieve and you can shoot quite a few into it, depending how many jugs of water you have. I call it the "poor man's ballistic gel"!

Well, I admit that I hadn't thought of using both, but that would do too.

As you know, using water is a poor medium for bullet expansion, as the hydraulics are so violent that it over-expands most hollow point bullets.

Remember the "'Tater Tunnel" I sorta invented?

Various sized leftover (going old) potatoes packed inside a long wood enclosure about 36" long works, and gives a closer approximation to tissue than water jugs.

I used a 2"x12" board on the bottom, a 4"x4" on each side, then loaded it full of old potatoes. And I topped it with a 2"x6"

Works beautifully.

I don't have any HP's for the blackout, but would like to see a picture of your setup. How far away do you usually shoot them?

Pages stacked together, like books or catalogs or magazines even when water saturated, are extremely dense and are not a good test medium.

I don't have any HP's for the blackout, but would like to see a picture of your setup. How far away do you usually shoot them?

It seems that Photobucket images are not showing in any of our threads right now. Don't know if it is a MO issue or what.

I have a pic of some 230-gr Winchester RA45T captured by the taters in the tunnel... but it won't post right now cuz even though Photobucket is working images won't post here.

About three feet away is good for catching them in the tater tunnel. :)

I don't have any HP's for the blackout, but would like to see a picture of your [nitesite's] setup.
Here is one pic of the nitesite Tater Tunnel.
test1_zpsc370d6fb.jpg

For the whole thread, go to:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...-test-of-my-carry-ammo-pics.7782/#post-102842

I still plan to do more testing, but at the moment, I am tweaking powders, but this evening, I was able to recover some of the cast bullets out of the berm behind my stand.

If anyone is interested, here are the results. And there is a jacketed 45acp in there for reference too.

These all started out at 223 grains and were fired using H4198 at 10.6 gr and the velocity was between 950 and 964 fps.

Retained weight from left to right

192.4, 218.3, 207.2, 206.6

recovered leatherhead 003.JPG

Back