• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Water filters and

What’s your favorite portable water filter? I have the sawyer mini water filter and I also have the Aquamira Frontier pro water filter . It cost a little more then the Sawyer mini. What I think makes it better is that first it has a pre filter. Also the main filter is replaceable. It can be used with a camel back or bladder system in general as a in line filter . The Aquamira also comes with quick disconnects for hoses on your bladder. It can be configured to be used as a gravity fed filter. Also it can be used as a straw like the life straw and Sawyer mini.
Mine isn’t the tactical filter . The Aquamira frontier pro usually costs around $15 maybe more.
Aquamira I believe the tactical frontier pro cost more is little more compact and has a few more features.
I would also would like to know when you use your filters do you just drink the water through the filter or after it’s filtered.
Or do you treat the water with tablets after running the water through ? Do you boil the water after filtering?

I'm not sure what brands mine are. I have several. One of them in a lifestraw. I like the other one better though. You can filter a bunch of water into its' own container and take it with you.

I guess what I'm trying to say it's more mobile and convenient.

I have a couple lifestraws for short term emergency situation.

+1 one on the Lifestraw. We have a few of the water bottle versions of the Lifestraw around for emergency use and I've tested one while out hunting and hiking. I also have a larger MSR filter unit that will do up to 1000gals per filter...guessing that's probably with optimal water conditions. Also, have a good stock of water purifcation tablets and then all you need is a t-shirt or something to strain solids with and a container. I always figured that a combination of a Lifestraw, secondary (t-shirt) filtration and purification tabs...I could potentially utilize some pretty nasty water sources if absolutely necessary. Water is critical to survival...so yeah I don't mess around. LOL!

Tablets and a life straw also. I have thought of buying some bulk activated charcoal so I could make a filter if need be. It would be for larger volume if necessary.

sawyers is the one that I like better than the lifestraw. Mainly because the sawyers is mobile and you don't have to drink out of a mudhole.

If you have a cabin or something permanent, I'm a HUGE fan of the small Zero Water gravity filter/pitcher.

If you're needing an industrial grade filter, the black berkeys' are good. But often cost a small fortune. FWIW, I made a gravity fed 4 gallon gravity filter using the white ceramic filter candles. I think from duolton?

I'll check out Sawyer's. I am not familiar with them. Our go to place in the event of shtf has plenty of water, it's a lake. But water for drinking and cooking I would definitely want filtered.

Water, shelter, and ingenuity equal survival.

This is basically what I did with the large ceramic filter.

I have two "candles" (as they call them) but only made my bucket use one filter. Using two would decrease the time it takes to filter out, but fill it up before bed and it's waiting for you in the morning. And I still have another filter as a spare.

sawyers is the one that I like better than the lifestraw. Mainly because the sawyers is mobile and you don't have to drink out of a mudhole.

If you have a cabin or something permanent, I'm a HUGE fan of the small Zero Water gravity filter/pitcher.

If you're needing an industrial grade filter, the black berkeys' are good. But often cost a small fortune. FWIW, I made a gravity fed 4 gallon gravity filter using the white ceramic filter candles. I think from duolton?

I saw a review if the Sawyer Mini and I liked what I saw. It can e used like a lifestraw, attached to a water bottle or set up and used as a gavity feed system. Prett versatile. It does need to be cleaned/backflushed periodically which i hear is easy.

Ill prob be adding one of these to the mix

I like it because it is more versatile and useful than the lifestraw.

Yes, it can be back flushed and cleaned. It comes with a large syringe in the package just for that. It's very simple to squirt a couple syringes of clean water through it.

Never heard of it. I'll try to look one up here shortly. Thanks.

I snagged a Sawyer gravity system yesterday. I still have a mind to check out the Aquamira system. I can tell you the camping section at Walmart was crowded. Last week they had 5 Sawyers, yesterday I got the last one.

Glad that you got one.

Obviously it won't filter out heavy metals, but it will filter dirty water and make sure you're not drinking a gut full of parasites and viruses and junk, so that's a bonus ;)

A gallon in 7 minutes is outstanding output. Mine is a bit smaller than the one that you got and I assume geared more toward being put in a backpack for campers and hikers, but I'll be honest, from the look of the photo, yours also looks like it's not out of the question to be mobile either.

John, it is very light, and if taken out of the box and rolled to fit into a freezer bag would fit into a bug out bag nicely. I have not weighed it, but even with the packaging I would estimate less than a pound.

I'm trying to source good quality and reasonably priced "candle" filters up here and it's not easy. I can order the Doulton from the US but it's pricey once you factor shipping, duty & taxes. The Berkey filters are just stupid expensive and kind of make the whole idea of a budget DIY project pointless. I can order Aquacrest filters from Amazon which are for all appearances and claims identical to the Berkey and would work for the DIY bucket filtration...I'm just trying to find out if they're worth buying or if they're garbage. Finding a review isn't easy, though I did find one review for an Aquacrest refrigerator model filter that made a "top 10" list.

On Berkey's website they say you need to prime the filters, which seems easy enough if you have a tap with running water...LOL kinda defeats the purpose, but anyway they have a hand prime pump available. I'm wondering if the time it took to filter the water through in the video above had anything to do with that? Anyone here with some experience to share? But I'm guessing that once they're fully saturated it wouldn't matter. My guess is if you keep the water level high it will filter quicker with a bit more pressure...I dunno.

Back