• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I was wondering what people feel are the best tactical lights and/or lasers for mounting on a shotgun. I personally like the tlr-1 when it comes to lights (which has a strobe as well now) for someone not looking to spend a ton of money since it's around 100 dollars.

Re: What is the best tactical light and/or laser?

Yeah, I've talked to Scott of CDM about this very topic and he highly recommends both the Streamlight Polytac and TLR1. Both very good lights for the price.

Yea I have the tlr-3 on my Springfield Armory XD-40 subcompact and absolutely love it.

I've used both the streamlight xenon and LED. The xenon is my first pick since it's bright as hell and the LED is OK and the batts last twice as long.

Let me first start by saying I am no expert on the subject. We at CDM Gear do make clamps that allow you to mount a weapon light to your shotgun. However I can assure you we have a whole lot on the drawing board that has nothing to do with light clamps. We have products in prototype that have nothing to do with light clamps. In fact I have three prototypes sitting on my desk right now that have absolutely nothing to do with lights, lasers or mounts.

As for lights. Since the only product we currently have in production are light mounts we get asked all the time which lights we use. I am very familiar with the Surefire series of lights. I own a lot of them and used many of them throughout the years. It wasn't until I met Scott that I started really messing around with the Streamlight series of lights. The Polytac C4 LED was my first Streamlight flashlight and the very first one I bought I beat on. That light has been ran into walls, kicked across the range, thrown off the repel tower and beat against countless solid objects over it's life time. It is still growing strong. I can say this much. I will never buy a Surefire G2 LED again. When the new model Surefires come out next month that are supposed to replace the G2 I will not be buying them either. For the money the Polytac C4 LED can not be beat. It is a tough light. You can shop around online and find them for between $32 and $37. That is for a 120 lum, 2 hour run time, LED light with a clicky tail cap and a momentary switch. It is just a solid light.

As for the TLR series light, again this light is a great bang for your buck light. The TLR-1S light can be bought for around $100 online. That is for a 160 lums, 2.5 hour run time, LED light with a strobe function. That is a killer deal that can not be matched in price vs quality anywhere. Why so many people spend $60 to $80 on Chinese made tactical lights when they can get quality weapon lights that will last a light time and offer them more features, made right here in America for $20 has always puzzled me. We as consumers waste so much money on a daily basis on stupid things. I know for a fact that my life and the lives of my family are worth that extra cash to get a quality weapon light like the TLR-1S. If you have a cheap knock off. I do not mean to offend anyone with this post and if I did I do apologize. This is simply my opinion on the subject and try as you might it is not something that will change.

As for lasers I would really suggest taking a look at Lasermax and one of their green day lasers. The advantage being that the green laser can be used during the day (obviously), but from my experience at night indoors the green lasers actually case enough light to make a "no light" situation, turn into a "low light" situation. Which is a slightly better fighting condition. On top of that it allows you if you are using a PGO shotgun to use a look over the receiver technique which has been proven to be quicker for some people in a CQB environment.

http://pistol-grip-only-shotgun-techniq ... nique.html

I have a TLR-1 on my Mossberg 500. I've tested it pretty hard and it's held up like a trooper. It's been dropped, it's been in the rain, it's been in the mud, etc.

I'm curious what you get for $150 extra if you buy the Surefire that looks the same as the TLR-1.

I really like the Surefire weaponlights. That said, they aren't for everybody.
I run several TLR1s on a variety of shotguns, biners, and pistols. They are probably the best light value there is for a rail mounted unit. With the remote switch kit you have a very versatile light.
I'm really not into lasers. Not my thing, not interested. I will agree that they let you shoot from some wierd positions of cover more easily. I do NOT buy into the intimidation thing, and I'm not going to run around with a hot beam running.
The Surefire equivalent is supposed to have a better quality lens, and some people like the switch arrangement better. And it's Surefire, so you know it's better.

As far as lasers go, I'll take the light thank you very much. I did have an X300 on my Mossberg but have recently discovered through some drills that I have a tendency to accidentally hit the momentary switch. This is also true when running a X300 on one of my ARs. To me its just too easy to have an ND with this particular model of Surefire. Recently I have switched over to a scout light and no more worries about a ND. A small benefit to the scout light is that it produces a smaller barrel shadow. The only weapon I use my X300 on now is a handgun.

-Jax

ETA: To put my post in a little better perspective, I don't use tape switches so I have to position the light further back to activate the button. Because the scout light is longer there is less barrel shadow.

I do not recomend lasers at all, I have removed several from PD SG that were put on before my time, they were not even close to POA and POA shifted when I used them, I think they are a crutch for training and skill, a moving one at that.

As for lights , my HD SG has had a sure fire G2 with clicky cap for years, I do not think dedicated weapons lights or the expensive brabds are needed.
If you want on then by all means they work they do the job intended, its just so does a G2 or "lesser" lights.
Mounts are as varied as lights,
I have a Knock off little tri rail thingy that attaches to the mag tube through the bracket of hte heat shield, never has failed in well over 9,000 rnds.

What I teach is get the best you can afford but the most expensive doesnt mean better.

Steve

I'm not a big fan of hanging lights, lasers or much of anything else off of my defensive arms. I took a big step this year and added an EOTech to my AR which had iron sights as long as I have owned it. :shock:

If you are using a shotgun for defensive purposes in your home and there are other people living there, a light will allow you to ID your target before hitting the bang switch.
I'd see a light as being pretty much mandatory for both duty and defensive purposes (where the potential for a non-threat to be present is there).
I will agree that some people take hanging stuff off of shotguns way too far, and they should stay utilitarian as opposed to form-focused for a defensive or duty shotgun.

m24shooter said:
If you are using a shotgun for defensive purposes in your home and there are other people living there, a light will allow you to ID your target before hitting the bang switch.
I'd see a light as being pretty much mandatory for both duty and defensive purposes (where the potential for a non-threat to be present is there).
I will agree that some people take hanging stuff off of shotguns way too far, and they should stay utilitarian as opposed to form-focused for a defensive or duty shotgun.

I didn't say that I don't like lights for low-light work. Nor did I propose pointing a weapon at a target that has not been verified. I'm just not a fan of hanging stuff off of guns in general.

Mounting A Light On A 500 Tactical Cruiser/Persuader

Hey guys, was referred here by someone on another forum (thanks ross......) this is my first gun and first post here (so let the n00b bashing begin) and I was wondering how I could mount a light on my Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser? I don't see how/where I would mount a light, I took a picture for reference. Worst case would be a forend light, but I would rather not.

Thanks.

mossberg.jpg

Re: Mounting A Light On A 500 Tactical Cruiser/Persuader

A few option idea's

Your 500 has a 590 mag tube and bbl configuration, as is you could get hte shorter action slide/forend. The shorter set up will allow more room between the forend nut and bbl lug.

The is a rail piece with a plate made for hte 870 that goes under the mag tube nut(between the nut and the bbl lug). It can be used on your configuration. It puts a rail on the side of the bbl lug area.

Inlet your plastic forend to accept a piece of rail.

Hope this helps

Glad you made it on here! There wont be any noob bashing, lord knows I'm still learnin about guns too! You should see some of my posts on AR forums! lol!

Anyhow, I hadnt even thought of the shorter forend. In any case, there are enough knowledgable folks here. I'm sure we'll get ya hooked up!

hunter72 said:
A few option idea's

Your 500 has a 590 mag tube and bbl configuration, as is you could get hte shorter action slide/forend. The shorter set up will allow more room between the forend nut and bbl lug.

The is a rail piece with a plate made for hte 870 that goes under the mag tube nut(between the nut and the bbl lug). It can be used on your configuration. It puts a rail on the side of the bbl lug area.

Inlet your plastic forend to accept a piece of rail.

Hope this helps

Your post would help if I knew the jargon. :lol: Sounds like I just need to get a shorter forend, any ideas on what brand without looking too funky???

Rossignol said:
Glad you made it on here! There wont be any noob bashing, lord knows I'm still learnin about guns too! You should see some of my posts on AR forums! lol!

Anyhow, I hadnt even thought of the shorter forend. In any case, there are enough knowledgable folks here. I'm sure we'll get ya hooked up!

Man, I hope I didn't make this a new hobby. From cars/bikes to cameras to house modding, not guns!!! I just got the 500 for "HD" yesterday, went back today and ordered a "BB GUN" aka GSG-5 .22 rifle. :lol: So impulse buy right there, but oh well 1000 rounds of ammo will be ~$55. :D

If I'm thinkin correct, the shorter forend/action Hunter mentioned would be like whats on bantam 12 ga. guns. Its something that can be ordered from Mossberg or Havlin Sales. There is a link to Havlin under the Mossberg History tab. If you dont find it, let me know and I'll add the link in here.

For most of us on here, modding is a hobby, we cant help it and leave well enough alone. A stock gun is pretty, but isnt it so much more rewarding to make it exactly what you want, although sometimes with much trial and error...

*Edit*
heres the link to the other topic for Havlin.
http://mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=283

This would probably be cheaper than changing out the whole actionslide/forend
870_mount.jpg

Captured_2006-7-30_00006.jpg

the light can go on the side as well as the bottom.

Thats pretty cool!

Yea it would, where did you get from? How does it clamp to the tube?

Back