• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

Re: flashlight mount for 6-shot

I have the 5 + 1 model too. I ordered this but it hasn't arrived yet.
Moss-590LightMount.jpg

I'm getting the light 'em package linked below.

I'm paying more than the $50 tactical rail forearms because it's less "tacticool" than those tri-rail models. It's the standard forearm, with one small rail, inconspicuously tucked away up front. take the light off and nobody on the trap range will even notice it. Basically getting the light and the mount for $20.

http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-and-mossberg-590-forearm-flashlight-mount-package-sale.html

i'm thinking maybe a Streamlight TLR-1 or something similar. i would definitely like something at least 80 lumens and with a strobe mode. Blue: the mount/forend you ordered would be perfect, as i want to avoid an overly tactical look as well, but i read somewhere, (i have been researching this whole business til i'm about crosseyed) that it will not work on mossberg's newer models with a pinned forend. i would like something somewhere between one of those surefire $300 units, and the Rambo-ish garbage that is out there for a few bucks, if you get my drift. i suppose i could just get the 500 Tactical tri rail model #50421, but i really wanted a basic 6-shot 590A1 with a conventional stock. the only accessory i would ever put on it is a good light. thanks to you all for your input. tony

Including the light and mount, the total price I paid was something around $40 plus shipping.

It has a twist switch so it can butt up against the magazine tube. Bright as hell considering it has just one CR123A battery. It has a very wide flood/spill and no central hot spot so you see a lot.

It works. It's replaceable for under $20 if it breaks. It isn't tacti-cool looking. And it sits close to the muzzle so there is no barrel shadow cast forward. I hate that gosh-darn shadow when a light is mounted several inches behind the muzzle.

shotgun_light.jpg

Please excuse me for asking but why do you want a strobe mode?

tonygu said:
iBlue: the mount/forend you ordered would be perfect, as i want to avoid an overly tactical look as well, but i read somewhere, (i have been researching this whole business til i'm about crosseyed) that it will not work on mossberg's newer models with a pinned forend. i would like something somewhere between one of those surefire $300 units, and the Rambo-ish garbage that is out there for a few bucks, if you get my drift. i suppose i could just get the 500 Tactical tri rail model #50421, but i really wanted a basic 6-shot 590A1 with a conventional stock. the only accessory i would ever put on it is a good light. thanks to you all for your input. tony

Well you can replace the action tube assembly for about $25 if it's the 6 and 3/4" one. I know it's more money. I'm getting a TLR-1 also. It's just that the 1" mount and the streamlight light (about $35 bucks to buy the light seperately) for $20 seems like nice stuff to have on hand. I'll use the light almost every night with the dog, you know?

So yeah. It will require one more step for you and more money, which is a huge drag. But yo won't look you're running around with an Gears of War gun :mrgreen: . I hadn't heard about the new forend. Makes sense from a manufacturing simplicity standpoint, but Blech... :evil:

DHonovich said:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=299 is a nice option for you as well.

I remember checking that out. Doesn't work with a 590a1. Less room.

What type of flashlight switch you prefer?

I'm trying to get a flashlight for my 500. Im going to get a MAKO 3 rail fore end and install the flashlight there. Im trying to decide what kinda switch should I get the light with. Im going to install the light on the left side or bottom of the fore end. The options I got are pressure switch(which I don't see the use since is right there by my hand), push on/off constant switch or on/off cap switch. Anyone running any of these that can shine some light in the subject? thanks.

Re: What type of flashlight switch you prefer?

I prefer the on/off switch of my Surefire C2 Centurion...

Twist it 360 for full on...twist 180, it's off until the tail cap button is pressed.

I never did like pressure switches.

...just my 2 cents.

x2 on not liking pressure switches, specially for hd. If it gets down to it and you're all sweaty, bloody or what have you, you're going to have issues putting even pressure down on the pad. I like the click switches, but be sure that it's not to hard to click on under stress.

I dont' like cords.

A clicky switch is nice to an extent, but I use the push caps. Push it in, and it's on. Let it go, it's off.

If you want it on all the time, twist it

Depending on what you are mounting it on - I like to be able to have the light momentarily on - if I am clearing the house, and a push-on/off for when I need a constant source of light or to turn it off.

I also like a light that has the 'strobe' function, which requires a push type switch to activate.

If you are using a hand gun, I prefer a hand-held light, again with the same controls.

HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

Looking for a flashlight for my 590. 120 lumens, most importantly on/off pressure switch not momentary on. less than $70 if such thing exsists... recommendations?

Thanks

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

Streamlight Polytac is $35. I like mine though I've only had it a few months. It does allow for momentary, but it's the same action as used to turn the light on. You push until it clicks, it's on for reals. You barely touch it and it's momentary. Momentary is almost universally considered a good thing by the way. I don't mean to insult you by asking, but have you done much research on low light usage of lights and guns?

Re: Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

blue said:
Streamlight Polytac is $35. I like mine though I've only had it a few months. It does allow for momentary, but it's the same action as used to turn the light on. You push until it clicks, it's on for reals. You barely touch it and it's momentary. Momentary is almost universally considered a good thing by the way. I don't mean to insult you by asking, but have you done much research on low light usage of lights and guns?

Thanks for replying. I bought a protec light and felt awkward having to hold the remote switch to keep the light on, that's the sum of my experience. I thought I'd like to try something different.

Re: Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

zsir said:
blue said:

Thanks for replying. I bought a protec light and felt awkward having to hold the remote switch to keep the light on, that's the sum of my experience. I thought I'd like to try something different.

Well the polytac does stay on with a click. I have some surefires that work the way you describe. Hold the button in for momentary, and twist the back end for full on. Great momentary light, but way to cumbersome for general use with a weapon IMO.

The polytac is NOT that. You click it on, it stays on. As bright as you're looking for. LED to hold up to shotgun recoil. You still have the option of momentary. Best of all you can buy 2 with your budget. Old saying "One light is no light. Two lights are one"

Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

SHOOTER13 said:
Surefire C3 Centurion...

http://www.surefire.com/Flashlights

I own two...!!

The discontinued C2 can be had at a significant savings. I picked up 6 replacement bulbs at $4 each too. And if the switches outlast the bulbs, I can convert it to LED down the road. However mounted on a gun they and the C3 are pretty much only useful as momentary, which is what the OP doesn't want. You want to be twisting the rear cap to turn the light on in a fire fight? :shock:

Re: Re: Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

blue said:
zsir said:
blue said:

Well the polytac does stay on with a click. I have some surefires that work the way you describe. Hold the button in for momentary, and twist the back end for full on. Great momentary light, but way to cumbersome for general use with a weapon IMO.

The polytac is NOT that. You click it on, it stays on. As bright as you're looking for. LED to hold up to shotgun recoil. You still have the option of momentary. Best of all you can buy 2 with your budget. Old saying "One light is no light. Two lights are one"

Thanks.... Just to be clear though I'm talking about the operation of the remote switch not a switch or button on the light itself. I'm looking for a remote switch with on/ off not momentary on.

Re: Re: Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

zsir said:
Thanks.... Just to be clear though I'm talking about the operation of the remote switch not a switch or button on the light itself. I'm looking for a remote switch with on/ off not momentary on.

Disregard everything I've said... no clue about a quality light at that price range with a remote pressure switch. At least $30 bucks more.

Back