• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weird Trigger issue on a maverick 88 20 gauge

GT_80

.270 WIN
I bought a 20 gauge maverick 88 about 4 months ago, and I put a hogue tamer pistol grip and a side saddle on it. Finally took it out to the range and I had weird issues with the trigger randomly.

sometimes if I put the trigger in the first joint of my finger and pull hard it drops the hammer fine. If I pull it with my finger tip, it drops the hammer about 3/4 of the way, then I pull again, and it drops the rest of the way. When I use my finger tip, sometimes if fires on the second pull sometimes it drops and doesn’t fire.

the trigger assembly works the same in and out of the gun

anyone have similar issues? Know how to fix it?

It appears there is a second spot on the hammer catches on the trigger mechanism. Almost like it has a second sear - I’ll see if I can demonstrate with pictures

picture 1 - shows hammer cocked- sear sitting on the hammer

C7FE3001-B66B-47E9-BC2A-19C306564665.jpeg
Picture two shows a second notch on the hammer that can catch on the trigger/sear if you don’t pull the trigger hard

AF84B566-B8CA-4355-8DD9-BD4A1ACECDF4.jpeg

picture three shows the hammer in the half position stuck on the second notch
8DEA4C10-2A73-4DC9-A311-EA0B97314B53.jpeg
And the last picture shows the hammer dropped

41A89C36-EA06-4181-8445-2CB462AE09EA.jpeg

I’m going to pull the trigger assembly out of my 12 gauge maverick 88 and see if it’s the same.not sure If that second notch is supposed to be there…

I’m going to pull the trigger assembly out of my 12 gauge maverick 88 and see if it’s the same.not sure If that second notch is supposed to be there…

I think you are on to something with comparing to the other trigger assy. I don't think the Hogue or sidesaddle have anything to do with the issue. Could it be possible the extra notch has something to do with the safety?

I pulled my 12 gauge apart, and it has the same thing. But I have never had an issue with the trigger on the 12 gauge hanging up. Maybe I just need to make sure I pull it harder or maybe it needs to wear in a little…

Well, I pulled the trigger group apart a little, it seems to be assembled right, I oiled the crap out of it with Break-free CLP and it seems to be better, I cycled it like 25 times and it did not hang up again. Maybe it just needed some oil after all- I dunno…

Back