• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Welcome to the Darkside!

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
:twisted:

Seriously, the 590A1 isnt the most popular SG on the market, but the thing is a beast and a workhorse!

I did a lot of careful research before choosing the M590A1. I was making a decision between that and Remingtons 870. I kept looking at the 870 thinking, I can change this, and that, and ... I realized I was trying to make the 870 more like the 590 in my head. Aditionally, I asked friends and family who have served or are currently serving in the US Armed Forces, what they trained with and which they prefered. They all said they have experience with both, and only one said they prefer the 870.

I went into my comparison shopping between the 2, partially with aftermarket parts in mind. I had a list of things I wanted, and held it up to each of the guns and somewhat allowed that to influence my decision making process. I evntually got over the list, knowing I wouldnt be able to put as many "goodies" on the 590, but had I gone with the 870, I'd still be wishing I had a 590.

By now, you know how the story ends. I own the most spectacular SG I have ever owned! I have no regrets over not having an 870 Express Tactical, 887 Nitro Mag, or an 870 Police Magnum.

What has influenced, or is influencing your decisions?

So my fellow shotgunners, Welcome to the Darkside! :twisted:

Cross over man! Do it! Let me know how I can push you or twist your arm and I'll do it!

Actually, I was a Big Green fan for the entire life of my shotgun shooting. I grew up with Remington shotguns and they were what I bought when I started buying my own. Great shotguns without a doubt. Never really messed with the Mossberg shotguns, and didn't see much reason to.
Then I started using shotguns for work, and I started looking at them differently and noticed that what I had thought was great shotgun didn't work great for ergonomic operation of the controls. Not long after that, I had a gun safe stolen and the insurance adjuster asked what I wanted to get to replace my lost guns. On a whim I decided to try out a 590A1.
I didn't want to like it, and I didn't even really take it out much. But then I started using it at the range some, and the more I used it the more I liked it. Eventually, I got rid of most of my Remington shotguns and now I pretty much just about exclusively run the 590 and 930. The ergonomics are great, and the 590 shotguns are hell for tough. I really like the shotgun, and Mossberg paid a lot of attention to what should be on a duty or defensive shotgun.
Out of the box, you can get a shotgun that is pretty much already set up for defensive use as Joe Muckenfuch the homeowner. It has only been in the very recent past that Remington figured out how much they were losing out and decided to introduce the Tactical Express model to the non-LE crowd. Now they offer a somewhat watered-down 870P.

I've always liked Mossberg and have had my eye on a 590A1 for a couple years. That itch was finally cured about a month ago with the purchase of my 590A1 and I must say, I could hold this gun all day long it feels and shoots that good.

Hey wait a minute you guys! I know I'm new to this forum but "Darkside"?

I would say that if you are headed toward a Mossberg, you are headed into the light!

I grew up on Ithaca guns, trained hard on 870's in LE and once I found the "light" I realized that there is no camparison when it comes to a fighting gun.

I universally get the same reaction from our LE clients who have "discovered" Mossberg shotguns.

It is a bit of an evolutionary trip toward enlightenment and eventual superiority.

If Mossbergs are the "Darkside" then I must be Darth Vader.

Mossberg is the largest manufacturer of pump shotguns in THE WORLD!

The US Military has been using the Mossberg 500/590 Shotgun since before 1986. Draw your own conclusions and call us when you're ready to step into the light.

www.AIMPROtactical.com

lol! Well Darth Vader, I'll elaborate as to why I chose to call it that! :)

And youre totally right, theres plenty about Mossberg that should put them squarly at the top of the heap, but for some reason the press just isnt there. As you and I have spoken before, Mossberg seems to have been content to let Big Green steam roll them through marketing and hasnt taken an offensive stance at all. When I go to the range with my 590A1, people look at me like I'm the red headed step child. So as owners, we're kinda on an island, or so it has seemed for so long. (hopefully we'll be turnin that around!) So thats where the title "the Darkside" came from. I kinda feel like we're in the dark...

BUT! The good news, Mossberg Owners wants to bring into the light all the positive press of the Mossberg family of firearms, the truth about Mossbergs history of service to the US and LEO's across the country.

(and having AIMPRO represented here is a positive step in the right direction!)

Thanks Darth Vader!

Brad.

Brad, I was just yanking your chain.

I couldn't resist. It's the "darkside" of my nature.

There is a popular misconception that Mossberg is the most under rated pump gun in the consumer marketplace. Not among Mossberg Owners!

This is the year that we are going to shine the light on just how fantastic a Mossberg shotgun can be.

The "new" Sales and Marketing folks at Mossberg "get it" and we are already seeing some very good stuff getting out there. I think, no, I know there is more to come.

I like to say that the proof is in the pudding, I run a 20" M590A1 in my 3 gun club and there isn't another make of pump gun that has been able to compete.

Speaking of 3 Gun; we are going to see some big names shooting Mosberg shotguns this year.

By the time we are done, you are going to have to change the name of this forum to "Let the Sun Shine In"

Get your SPF 30 before it's too late.

MShain said:
Brad, I was just yanking your chain.

Haha! I know, I know... :)

I cant wait man, I'm super excited for the new stuff and to be a part of moving Mossberg "into the light"!

The 3 Gun stuff is a huge turn on for me! (does that sound right?) lol!

My descent to the darkside was smooth and easy :lol:

I wanted a defense gun, but I'm basically lazy. I didn't want to slap an 18.5 inch barrel and possibly a magazine extension on my 34 year old 870, my only other shotgun, and then have to take them off everytime I went to shoot clays or hunt. So let's look at what's out there! I did the internet thing and found a very useful 4 part review by a cat named Nutnfancy on youtube.

The first two parts covered the 870. His gun. He loves it. I love mine. Lots of good info. The second two parts was on the 590a1. It was... Well let's just say weird... I guess if you watch the introduction to 590a1 the basic message is "You shouldn't get it because it passed the mil-spec tests. So everyone thinks you should get it. But they only think that since it's the only gun that passed. Therefore you shouldn't get it, and since the other choice is the remington, the remington is better". It's about that rational... The rest of the review was accurate, and other than messing up the weight on a scale and dissing the gun for being heavy, was completely positive despite his prejudice. End result "Here are two great guns to choose from"

Then I started doing research, and discovered that there is a HUGE difference between my old 870 and the newer ones, especially the express, which is remington's 500 range gun. I haven't bought a shotty since I bought my remington new and I was shocked at how far they have fallen! And not just internet haters either. I spoke to local people I trusted, and most of them haven't bought an 870 or 1100 since the early 2000s because of issues.

So it was 590a1 all the way! I choose the police model because I wanted the bead. Open rifle sights are better than ghosts for me, and beads are better than open rifle sights for me out to 60 yards. I love that the top of the receiver is ready to accept rails if I do decide to go reflex or red dot. I went 5 shot magazine after reading that I can run 835 barrels on it, and you can't on 8 shot magazines. I can put a 2 shot extender on for full on 7+1 HD that's an inch and a half shorter than the 8+1 gun with nothing to snag, and still have the option of having a "regular" gun to meet Game laws and range restrictions (some clay places won't let you shoot under 24" barrels) if my 870 goes into the shop, or if I can only carry one gun into the Zombie Apocalypse. :twisted:

So that's the story.

Back