• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Western Field lever action?

daveyg

Copper BB
Hello all, my name is Dave, and I am the happy new owner of a "Western Field" M72, 30/30 lever action, which to my understanding was built by Mossberg...? Correct me if I am wrong. I was hoping you all could help me understand better how to fully disassemble my action, as I wish to modify the loading gate/ramp slightly. I have the lower reciever halfway out, and seem to have gotten stuck... Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a great day!

Welcome from MI!!

Sorry I am of no help when it comes to the function of lever guns but we have several other members that have them, hang on and someone should be able to give you some guidance.

Welcome aboard daveyg!

The Western Field M72 is a Mossberg model 472 that was re-branded for retail sale, most likely at Montgomery Ward. You'll have difficulty finding any free manuals or instructions on-line, but for $3.99 you can download the 472/479 assembly and disassembly instructions from the Gun Digest web store...

Mossberg Model 472

This information can also be found listed under the Mossberg 479 in The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part IV: Centerfire Rifles...

Thanks for that info. Any advise on how/where to acquire parts? It would appear that my lower receiver (proper term is beyond me, the aluminum piece that the lever swings off of) had a hairline crack, where the trigger sear pin goes thru, and upon disassembly, the rear portion of the lower receiver broke clean off, along that pin. I managed to reassemble it, and its functional, but I would like to replace the cracked part if it is obtainable...? Any thoughts?

You could try contacting these folks...

Havlin Sales & Service
(636) 937-6401
www.havlinsales.com

The Havlins specialize in discontinued Mossbergs and they have a listing of parts for the 472 on their center-fire rifle parts page...

Mossberg Center-Fire Rifle Parts

Otherwise, you could try contacting Mossberg to see if any parts from the newer model 464 are interchangeable with the model 472...

Back