• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wet or Dry?

xl_target

Copper BB
After shooting my SA20, I find a ring of hardened crud on the magazine tube. It takes a considerable amount of effort to get rid of this, even when using Hoppe's #9 or Powderblast spray. I end up scrubbing for quite a while to get this off.
I also get a similar coating on the piston that takes forever to get off. I usually end up leaving the piston soaking in Hoppe's overnight to get rid of it.
After cleaning, I wipe down the piston with a CLP soaked rag, so it is wet when then gun is fired.\

What do you guys do? Do you run the gun with the piston dry or wet? What do you use to clean it with?

Normaly you would want the piston an gas area to be as dry as possible without hindering the functionality of the gun. The reason you're getting this carbon build up is because of too much oil on your piston and around the gas ring. I would take it apart, polish the gas tube and piston as much as possible and run a dry lubricant in that area to minimize fouling.

Slip 2000 carbon buster has worked wonders on anything I need to soak (mainly my 10/22 internals after a long range session)

Back