• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are the differences among the 500, 590, and 590A1?

Awesome expose' Rossignol...

Thanks for taking the time and effort to help us all understand the subtle differences between the models.

Well done...!!

Ok man this is not too much what you are talking about but the 2 persuaders I have owned said “500” not “500A”. I always thought it was a forend difference but your forend looks like the “500” forend not the “A”??

As knowledgeable as you are I don’t think so. Mine has no letter just simply says Mossberg 500. but I have been known to be wrong before

Judges, can we get a ruling on this one? :lol:

Not sure why some are stamped and some aren't, but according to my wife I could make a career out of being wrong...

Thanks again folks! I enjoy gettin into this stuff when I'm able!!!

The differences among the 500/590/590A1, are few. There are infact more 500's in use as duty firearms than 590's or 590A1's. So dont be put off by a 500 or 590 that doesnt have the "A1" designation. If you like the 590A1 over the 590, then I say go for it!

The wiggle is normal, entirely, and even the wear marks, every gun wears a little differently, but the wear on the 590A1 seems to be more even rather than having "spots" or "areas" that wear more than others.

On the 500 "A" designation, to the best of my knowledge, the designation is as Lazy mentioned, however, I see the "A" used commonly with these Persuader models, as in "500A Persuader". Its something I could ask the Havlins about friday maybe.

This is another of those cases the receiver is stamped "500A" and it may just be a weird Mossberg thing, dont know, but I'll get some clarification.

I have only held/shot one 500A and the only thing I could find different was the forend , it was like there was no metal to it other than the action bars and they were, for lack of a better word, melted into the plastic...seemed looser than my 500. So IDK.

The action bars on mine are the same as my 590A1...

Ok, I just went to where I knew I could find the info! Havlin Sales site!!! This is a quote from the site;
http://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm

Since 2006, most new 500®, 535® and 835® sporting shotguns with synthetic forearms may not use an action slide tube at all; rather, the pump handle will have two integral bars pinned into the handle itself.

I personally wouldnt want the integrally pinned action bars. I'd buy the action slide tube and forend to match! ;)

So there is no rhyme or reason to it? I happened to handle a 500a with some forend you might or might not get. The more I learn about Mossberg the more weird they seem as a company….with all the 930 differences and 500 differences…I can understand design changes but this so far makes no since to me.
Findings:
So its "A" for 12 gauge and so on but not all 500's come marked as so.
Also you may or may not end up with a forend that has an action tube...which would make me mad if I ordered one unseen from a dealer and it showed up with that ,no offence, cheesy forend

Lazy, I stand corrected you sir are no weatherman, it turns out I am confused

Yes, con.fused here too.

Mossberg, sometimes subtle differences, other times varying wildly...

DaveinCT said:
Word of caution to 590A1 owners who seek to upgrade the forend, I haven't found one yet that would simply slip on. The Knoxx Blackhawk forend needed serious dremel work to accommodate the heavy wall barrel as did the Hogue I just installed. The Hogue is one sweet feelin forend, has a rubber texture to it that is very nice..

Hey Dave,

Got any pics on what you had to do to your Hogue??? I was thinking about picking up the Hogue Butt and Forestock for my 590A1 when it shows up. I know I want the butt stock for sure but debadting about the F-stock.

TexasMade, What model is it?

I believe most of the special purpose models with the matte finish have bolts finished to match.

OK, question to y'all. I have a 590A1 stamped on the left side receiver wall, Mod: 51663
Now if you go to the MOSSBERG website the 51663 is NOT listed in the 590A1 section but I found it in the 500 & 590 section :? . What's up with that? Mine is the 3443, Hvy Wall, Metal Safety and Metal Trigger Guard, so can someone explain this one? I'm thinking :idea: that MOSSBERG has now maybe discontinued this Model and is only going to make the 51668,(Speed Feed stock) :?: . Other than that the firearm is identical.

I'd say if it's stamped 590A1 then that's what it is regardless of how they market it on the website. The 51633 I believe is still listed in the 2012 catalog. I'll double check when I get home.

Edit: The 2012 catalog still lists it an active part number and under the 590A1 section. I wouldn't worry about it.

carbinemike said:
I'd say if it's stamped 590A1 then that's what it is regardless of how they market it on the website. The 51633 I believe is still listed in the 2012 catalog. I'll double check when I get home.

Edit: The 2012 catalog still lists it an active part number and under the 590A1 section. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the post Brother!!! Yep I went and checked my 2012 Mossy Cat and I did in fact have it in the 590A1 listings. It was just there web site that through me. I have been around pea shooters awhile and seen mistakes in listing before, but with MOSSBERG I hadn't.

That's wierd.

I just checked the Mossberg site and the 51663 is showing up under "590a1 Special Purpose" tab. There is a model 50663 under the "500/590 Special Purpose" tab, but it's the non-a1 590 in the exact same configuration.

Back