• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are the differences among the 500, 590, and 590A1?

Man I'm not seeing it :shock: . This is what I am seeing in the 590 SP section but it doesn't mention 590A1

SPECIAL PURPOSE SHOTGUN - 590® SPECIAL PURPOSE - 9 SHOT
9 SHOT 51663 12 3" HVY WALL BBL, MTL TRIGGER GRD./SAFETY 9 20" GHOST RING¨ CYLINDER BORE 41" 14 1/2" 1 1/2" 2 1/8" MATTE BLUE SYNTHETIC (BLACK) 7 1/4 LBS $667.00

Then over on the 590A1™-Special Purpose:
MMR Tactical - 590A1™ 9 SHOT
9 SHOT 51660 12 3" HVY WALL BBL, MTL TRIG GRD & SAFETY BUTTON 9 20" BEAD CYLINDER BORE 41" 13 7/8" PARKERIZED SYNTHETIC/BLACK 7 1/4 LBS $631.00
9 SHOT 51668 12 3" HVY WALL BBL, MTL TRIG GRD & SAFETY BUTTON 9 20" GHOST RING¨ CYLINDER BORE 41" 13 7/8" PARKERIZED SYNTHETIC/BLACK/SPEEDFEED 7 1/4 LBS $717.00

Aloha Everyone.
IV got a question for the pro's, if I may.
Anyway iv lurked on this website for a long time and I'm ready to make my move and buy a Mossberg.
IV chosen the 590A1 model number 51518. It's 18.5", and 6 shot with speedfeed stock and ghosting sights. But there's a speedbump.
-Backstory-
So I'm talking to my mum about the next best thing to spend my money on and instead of talking me out of it she Tells me she wants to shoot slugs far and accurately.
So basically mom wants to be a slug sniper and I don't think the short barrel shotgun right is the right for the job..
Now I know the 500 is very modular, in that there's many barrel/stock options available but the 590A1 model doesn't seem so lucky.
But from my lurking iv learned that if you have the 5+1 shot version of the 590A1 you can use the 835 ulti mag barrels, and that would allow me to get the one I want and just barrel swap so that dear sweet mummy can slugsnipe fools all. Day. But for as many people that say you can there's and equal number that say you can't.
I just want to confirm that I will be able to. Buy a slug barrel for my 590A1 model before I make my purchase.

The 835 barrels are all (I believe) overbored meaning you cant shoot slugs through them. I think...

The 835 barels make a 590 5 shot an excellent field gun, but not so much a deer gun or long range zombie snipin machine. Its worth noting though, that with practice, folks make 200 yard shots with a 20" barrel. A slug is a very heavy "bullet" with a lot of drop in a relatively short distance with any smooth bore barrel. 20" or 28", the difference will be less than amazing.

For longer ranged shots, with something like 6 to 8" of drop in 200 yards, a scoped and rifled barrel for 300 gr. sabots is gonna be the best bet.

If you want more range and more accuracy with less drop, I'd pick up a rifle... Mossberg makes some nice rifles that can be had for less than the cost of the 590A1.

When I was checking the accessories/barrels section of the mossberg website the 835 ulti mag barrels were listed as mostly slug with a couple all purpose mixed in, and the the features like integral rails or camo .
Then bore, some we're fully rifled (which if iv got it right if for the sabot, style slugs far you mentioned), a couple cylinder bore and a few had something called a accu-mag set??
http://www.mossberg.com/products/access ... ion=access
Maybe I'm reading it wrong or the meaning isn't getting through to the me. Shotguns are a completely unknown entity to me which is why I'm excited haha.
I also have a Savage 10 FCP-K in. 308 that shoots better than I ever will but she's dead set on throwing giant slugs downrange and I can't really blame her , I was pretty easy to convert.

Ahhh, ok! That could work with your 6 shot for sure!

Ok, if you do the fully rifled bore (yes for sabots, youre correct!) then you can be shooting at some range with pretty decent accuracy!

So if youve got your heart set on zombie snipin with a shotgun, and that shotgun is a 590A1 6 shot, then an 835 rifled barrel may be for you!

Check out the barrel on the bottom of the pic, the matte blue would match the 590A1 pretty well!

3.jpg

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the confirmation
Now I can buy and make everyone happy.
It will take me a while to get my hands on it, everything takes longer in Hawaii but when I do il post it up!

Had a Mossberg tech support rep today tell me that the barrels and mag tubes between the 590a1 and the 590 models would not interchange. Got home this evening and swapped mine out in under a minute with no functional issues. Roll marks on underside of both receivers read "590" and both barrels are stamped "590". The only difference in ID on the 590a1 receiver is the standard added "590A1" stamp on the left side. The X-factor with my 590 is that it has the heavy walled breacher barrel which is virtually identical to a standard 590a1 barrel.

So the question is, has anybody out there with both a 590a1 and a standard barreled 590 tried to swap the barrels?

Hello everyone, newbie to the forum here. I purchased a Mossberg off of gunbroker listed as a 590 .12 ga 7 shot with 18.5" barrel & will hopefully have it in hand next week. My question is that after researching prior to purchase everything I've read states that all 590's are 20" & the 590A1's come in 20" & 18.5", so basically I was wondering if anyone hear could clarify this for me. I will post pics up as soon as I het her home.

First of all, welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase.

I have only come up with 20" barrels for the 590 series. Are you sure it's a 590 and not a 590A1. Since you don't have the shotgun in hand, can you post the model number. Mine is a 590A1, model number 51411. That should tell you definitively.

carbinemike said:
First of all, welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase.

I have only come up with 20" barrels for the 590 series. Are you sure it's a 590 and not a 590A1. Since you don't have the shotgun in hand, can you post the model number. Mine is a 590A1, model number 51411. That should tell you definitively.

Here is the link to the Gunbroker page I won it on. Not sure of the exact model number...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =313289624

The only identifying mark on the 590a1 is the additional "590a1" roll mark on the left side of the receiver. Both the barrel and the bottom of the receiver in front of the shell elevator on 590a1 models are stamped 590.

It's gonna be pretty hard to tell for sure until you get it in your hands...

It looks like you have yourself a 20" barrel. The bayonet lug doesn't come on the 18 1/2" barrel models. I think it's a winner either way! The one picture is hard to read but I think you're right...it looks like it says "590". Also, a 20" barrel will be a 9 shot model. The one item that personally has me stumped is that I think 590's come with heat shields. I'm sure someone else will chime in or I'll look it up later at home.

Looks like the seller either uploaded the wrong photo or has no idea what he's selling. Either way, that's definitely a 20" 9-shot 590 model 50663 in the photo...

I think you got it L.E.S.

Now I see the error of my ways...ghost ring sights = no heat shield on the 590.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The only identifying mark on the 590a1 is the additional "590a1" roll mark on the left side of the receiver. Both the barrel and the bottom of the receiver in front of the shell elevator on 590a1 models are stamped 590.

It's gonna be pretty hard to tell for sure until you get it in your hands...

Thanks L.E.S. & everyone else, I'll have to contact the seller & verify the pictures are for the correct item, either way I'm glad to be getting a Mossberg.

Back