• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are the differences among the 500, 590, and 590A1?

Can't see the butt plate in the pic.
5225608_2_5482f6111bc66.jpg

I didn't plan to do something with it. Probably it will stay on the shotgun. Why do you ask?
I just wondered if this is a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose because every picture I found on the internet showed another but plate/recoil pad.

Can anyone helpy me identifying this Mossberg. I guess it is a 590 mariner but I am not shure. Thx!
5225608_5482f61118d7f.jpg

5225608_3_5482f6111dbaf.jpg

5225608_4_5482f6111eb5c.jpg
It is indeed a 590 Mariner. A fairly recent one based on the dull finish. I have an older one (1989), which folks often think of as the "Stainless Steel" model, when in fact it is the first of the Marinecoat type of finish. Buyers complained about the glare from the shiny finish, so Mossberg dulled after 1990 iirc. Mossberg never made a stainless steel model.

The only real difference between the one you pictured and mine (besides the finish) is the heatshield.

m590full.jpg~original

Quick question here. Have just started reading this thread and am looking forward to learning about the differences and sameness of these particular models. Am sure that there is some very valuable information contained in this thread and I want to learn all I can.

So are the images in the earlier threads lost forever?
Is there anything I can do on my end to view the images?

Thanks
Buck

Welcome buck.....
Unfortunately the images are only available as long as the original poster keeps them on their links.

Quick question here. Have just started reading this thread and am looking forward to learning about the differences and sameness of these particular models. Am sure that there is some very valuable information contained in this thread and I want to learn all I can.

So are the images in the earlier threads lost forever?
Is there anything I can do on my end to view the images?

Thanks
Buck

Hi Buck,

Some of those are certainly mine from several years ago. I can do some digging around to see if I still have them saved somewhere but it's unlikely. My links came either from Facebook or from photobucket and I've been unable to access photobucket for a long time now. Though I have an idea... I have some stuff to do yet before I'm in for the night but don't be afraid to remind me if I don't get back to this.

Does the older 500 have the metal trigger guard?

Nope. It's plastic. I had the two guns at the time, the older 500 made about 2000 or 2001 and the 590 made around 2010. I let the 590A1 go and chose to keep the 500. Thinner barrel and plastic parts and all. It's a solid gun that I still grab in the night and it's the only gun I use infact at night for dispatching varmints.

Hi folks , I’m new to Mossberg ownership and have just recentily acquired a 600 New Haven Slugster , I’m after a wooden stock but have recently seen a set of 590 synthetic stock and forend , what I’m wondering is if this would fit my gun, I believe my forend grip is standard (long) ? Any help much appreciated from over the pond.

As long as your forend is the longer and the 590 is the longer it will fit.
(Remember your 600 mag tube needs to come off to remove your forend and action slide.)
Here is a pic of the different action slide tubes.

forend chart.jpg

All,

I know this is an old thread but let's kick it up. I tried to read all the older threads but probably missed some. My first Mossberg was a 590 9 shot with the heat shield on it. I purchased/transferred it from a coworker that was into 3 gun and wanted to dump it and get a Saiga to replace it (lucky me). The only things I have done were putting on the Mossberg front and rear sights and have a tactical fore end (polymer) with three rails to replace the stock one still on it. It is a true fighting weapon in factory form as I got it, even better with the sights for slug placement (CYL bore).

I purchased a 590A1 barrel for it from the nice people at Havlin Sales & Service (wonderful people and a shout out to them). I just pulled that barrel out of the safe and it is parkerized and only marked 24 inch and 3 inch rounds authorized. No "Mossberg" identifiers or anything else. Hopefully the fore end that is in the house somewhere will still work with this barrel. It is, truly, heavier and the chamber area is substantial also (could be used by itself as an impact weapon with no damage to the barrel). There is no bayonet lug on this barrel but the 590 of mine has one. Go figure.

I was trained on Remington 870s in the USBP and have a Remington "Wingmaster" that I purchased new in 1979. Lots of birds went to the table from it. I DO prefer the tang safety on Mossbergs for offside transition, if need be, versus the Remington safety location.

I will try to post some pictures (still cannot find the camera somewhere in the house also).

JX

Back