• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

If you guys are all skeered I guess you can make them into slugs, Ill keep mine for home defense thank you very much

Hey, oli, it's great fun blasting targets at 50, 100 yds without breaking the bank. $26-$28 and a bit of time yields 100 slug rounds...plus it keeps us off the streets...LOL.

yeah but left in pellet form you are invincible without over penetration, suit yourself if you want to waste lead

How is shooting 1-1/8 ounce of birdshot compared to shooting 1 ounce slug any more wasteful? ;)

I'm being CONSERVATIVE lol

index.php

The weight at 3-o'clock with the clip against the bucket wall is zinc or steel, you can tell by the way the clip is outside of the weight. Also, almost all lead wheel weights have elliptical ends, the non-lead are almost always square. It's pretty easy to tell them apart after just a tiny bit of smelting experience. Of course, you can tink-test them on the concrete floor, or read the Zn or Fe stamp on the weight.

Can anybody spot some others that aren't lead? Hint: there are two or three at 9-o'clock ~ 9:30...

I don't know just how much blind luck a man can have, but this evening, I was putting up a washer hose in my basement, and I look on the block between the basement wall and the footer of the house, and low and behold, I found an old 10 pound lead ingot covered in soot and cobwebs.

I'm not sure if it had once belonged to my late father in law, or one of the previous owners of the house, but I felt like the kid that just found the golden Easter egg.

small surprises 001.JPG

small surprises 002.JPG

small surprises 003.JPG

Upon some research of the logo that is stamped on the ingot, it appears that this was very likely placed there by one of the previous owners of the house.

From what I can find, the National Lead Company went out of business in 1981, so that predates when my late father in law purchased the house by several years.

Plus, it was covered in soot from where the house used to have an oil furnace, which had already been removed just prior to the purchase of the property.

http://www.slphistory.org/history/nationallead.asp

The plant operated from about 1934 to 1981.

I suppose that I was meant to find it.

To whoever left it there 30+ years ago, thanks !!!

What kind of accuracy are you experiencing? Barrel type and length?

Newb to the forum, but no stranger to the range or the reloading bench.

Look up "cut shell" on you tube. You can cut a birdshot shell & it works like a slug do you have your choice of either.

Back