• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

what defines the "persuader"

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
I got my 500 back in high school from a friend, came with the 8 shot mag, and synthetic stock and fore end. I picked up one identical to it at a gun shop yesterday advertised as a Persuader, with a very nice list price. more than I would have asked if I ever sold mine. but was just stamped as a 500 on the receiver. Mossberg website has 6 shot models theyre calling persuaders, and im seeing lots of 8 shots on here listed as persuaders. just curious if I have something original, or the name just came along with popularity.

howdy. mossberg likes to use "persuader" and "cruiser" quite a bit in their advertizing. looks like its more of a marketing thing than anything.

i have an old "1988" persuader 7+1 shot. came with pistol grip and butt stock.
i still call the 5+1 shot cruiser's and the 7+1 shot persuader's. but thats just me. :)

Mossberg has a few different names for the models in their "Special Purpose" line-up.

"Cruiser" models are set up in a pistol grip only configuration (eg. 50440/50580). The "Persuader" models have a fixed stock and are essentially a basic set up for SD/HD. Persuaders come in both 18.5" (eg. 50411) and 20" (eg. 50577) configurations. The "Tactical Persuader" (eg. 50420) comes configured with a pistol gripped 6-pos retractable stock. There are "Persuader/Cruiser Combo" models (eg. 50780) that come with both a fixed stock and a pistol grip. There are also "SPX" configurations that come equipped with ghost ring sights (eg. 51523)...

I agree with Mossy, just a marketing name. Its still at its core just another 500 or 590 etc... like all the hunting varieties are.

If its from the factory with a pistol grip only stock installed, they slap the name cruiser on it. If it comes with a factory standard buttstock on it they label em persuaders. If its factory configured with a pistol gripped buttstock combo its a tactical model now.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotgu ... hot-8-shot

Scroll the page and see for yourself. Note they are all part of the "special purpose" line with 18.5 and 20 in barreled guns available in cylinder only bores.

Edit....... Lazy was typing his response while I typed mine. Same info lol. Thx Lazy for being a bit more detailed.

Re: what defines the "persuader"

Yeah thanks guys. Appreciate all the info. Apparently what I have is just a little more valueable than what i thought. Not that I'll ever part with it. One of my favorites. And at the risk of sending the post off topic what are peoples thoughts as to tapping the cylinder bore barrels for a choke? Or are there 18.5 barrels available already set up for chokes?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

The closest thing is a 20" Accu-choke barrel complete with ventilated rib. This barrel only fits 6 shot guns, not the extended mag tube models.

Back