• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Do You Guys Think Of This?

I'll try and make this as short and understandable as possible.

I live in ontario canada..living in the suburbs so there isn't a lot of areas to target practice...ranges are hard to get into...never accepting people. If you wanna shoot in the woods...drive north 2 hours and find "crown land"

I have a fairly nice size boat that we have on lake ontario, only a 5 minute drive from my house..so i figure screw it...if i wanna take my .22 for target practice...just take it out on the lake and go about 5 miles out.

The town that I live in has a law that sais " no firearms shall be discharged within our town" however...there is no law that sais firearms can't be discharged on the lake and the lake doesnt come under my towns boundaries. i contacted every single branch of government other then the police. reason i didnt contact them is simple...they don't make laws..they only enforce them...if i tell them what i wanna do they will just harrass me.

Not a single person could tell me a law that sais i cant target practice on the lake..the ONLY law that there is on the lake that comes close to what i wanna do is " you cannot put waste into the lake" so the guy told me that bullets would fall into that category. but i would never get caught for that. because the people that enforce that stuff...dont go on lake ontario around where i live, their always up north.

Do you guys think as long as I'm safe and responsible...im fair game to be doing this?

Interesting, I've never heard of this. How can you hold steady on a boat?

My gut says that if you got caught it would not be good, but I really don't know.

I can't offer advice one way or the other. Have you tried contacting a lawyer? They know the law better than law enforcement.

Per my experience, just about the time you think to yourself you will never see a game warden or police in an area is when they show up. LOL

Here's the questions I have:

Are there any open seasons that would require you to have a hunting license? I know you're not hunting but the game wardens here take a dim view of firing guns during an open season. you can't prove you were not hunting.

What is your back stop? yes, 5 miles is a long way. But there was a person killed in CA years ago by someone target practicing offshore. .22's go a long way, even skipping like a rock.

What are your provisions should you inadvertently discharge a round thru your hull, engine or fuel tank? I know, that will never happen. Remember Murphy's Law...5 miles is a long way to swim.

As simple as your question seems, there are very complicated risks involved. Only you can determine if those risks are worth it. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guy. Not sure when our "open season" is....the only hunting I do is fishing. In the 15 years I've been fishing on lake ontario I've not once seen a game warden, they don't have any boats docked where I am either, their all in the little lakes up north.

As for a backstop...i plan to be shooting facing a large beach where there is no people and it has a 200 foot high cliff.

If i shoot through my hull somehow, my boat has 4 bilge pumps, more then enough to stop the boat from sinking from a .22lr hole.

I like the lawyer idea, however i feel that...if the federal government cant come up with any reasons why I cant shoot on the lake. And in our towns laws it sais " no firearm shall be discharged within 50 feet off shore and in towns boundaries. Ministry of enviorment cant come up with any reason why i cant. and the provincial government cant. I think im fair game.

Another thought, shooting from a boat may be viewed the same as shooting from a car/truck/etc.

As a DNR officer (MI's version of a game warden) once explained to me when I asked a question about the legality of something....I'll ticket or arrest you for anything I think may be illegal and let the courts figure it out.

MikeD said:
Another thought, shooting from a boat may be viewed the same as shooting from a car/truck/etc.

As a DNR officer (MI's version of a game warden) once explained to me when I asked a question about the legality of something....I'll ticket or arrest you for anything I think may be illegal and let the courts figure it out.

hm very true. I just spoke to our marine unit police, guy sounded miserable and all he sais is " can't do it...criminal code" thanks for your help but i need more then that considering im looking at the code right now and it sais nothing lol

I'm going to speak to a lawyer on this one lol

Back